2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
Enjoy the trip:

Lurker
0 likes
I'm an amateur astronomer, and that's a cool clip. It lets you see how our Milky Way is part of the huge Local Group in Virgo. To get an idea of the immensity of just our own galaxy, picture this: If the Sun was the size of the period at the end of this sentence on your browser, the size of our galaxy would be as big as the continental U.S.

That was fun blowing your mind.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rocco my mind has difficulty imagining the immensity of space. My mind is locked into the realities of Earth where everywhere has boundaries, And yet I'm told that space is infinite and one never gets to the end of it. Scary thought. And what existed before "space."

Wonderful post but I wish it were slower to take in the raw beauty
Matriarch
0 likes
Space science is fascinating. I've tried to sit down and understand how black holes work, what muons are all about, and end up getting totally bewildered with the concepts.

I'll get Stephen Hawking on the phone to clear up some of the rudimentary aspects for me
Lurker
0 likes
Uh oh, I know you can get anyone you want to on the phone, too. There are two main concepts about physics and astronomy: quantum theory and string theory. They both fit well together, but neither one can completely explain things on their own. That's why physicists take elements of "this" and elements of "that" to explain things. Michio Kaku, a mathemetician, however, found if you do the quantum theory with 10 dimensions, it all adds up beautifully.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
OK I understand the quantum theory. However, I have no idea what the string theory is.VDF18KMtzruGc9a2 I am a whiz at math and I have studied science to a point but obviously need more...lol. My 8 yr old is fascinated with space so I am curious.
Lurker
0 likes
Ten Dimensions of space makes sense to me, though I'm not a physicist. I've read Maiku's book on hyperspace and found it insightful. I've also read about Dr. David Deutsh (sp) a British scientist/physicist that believes in parallel unisverses and the ten dimensional space theory backs that up very well too.

I love the video, and like many here, long for a longer slower version to just gaze at.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Curious2c
I love the video, and like many here, long for a longer slower version to just gaze at.

Well you could always download the video http://youtubedownloader.org/, and then use the free FLV player there to view it, and set the playback speed to the rate you want
Lurker
0 likes
whoa...that sounds pretty technical for a guy like me. heh... I'm lucky if I can find my mail site each time I want to check my email.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like the way you make me feel even when I'm nowhere near...