Where do you get your story ideas?

last reply
22 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was on holiday travelling through Europe for 2 months and I came back with a few ideas for stories that I have since written or am in the process of writing, they were all inspired by visual stimuli:

We drove past an English Manor house enclosed by an imposing brick wall. I noticed I was mistaken, the manor house was an exclusive girl's school. I saw a girl getting into a large black sedan - my idea for 'The Collector' was born. Synopsis: young transvestite is thrown out of home onto the street but is saved by a man who takes her to a special finishing school that he runs.

We drove past a street literally lined end to end with trans prostitutes in a seedy part of Naples - my idea for 'The Game' was born. A man's past catches up with him when he is blackmailed into performing 'dares' as part of a Game he and his friends played when they were at Uni. One of the dares involves him crossdressing and parading on the street like a prostitute.

We visited Dunkirk and a few other WW2 sites and I got the inspiration for my latest work, yet to published, about a man who joins the amateur dramatic society in a Luftwaffe POW camp where he takes on the female lead role. His plan is to escape and travel across Europe in the guise of a woman. Don't have a name for this story yet so I'm open for suggestions, was thinking of 'The Prisoner Wore Panties' but that sounds a bit trite.

Some other obvious plot lines I have used:

Biker Bitch - came to me watching Sons of Anarchy
Executive Solutions - Bourne series of movies
Hostess With The Mostess - perving on airline hostesses at the airport (at leas I'm honest lol)

I should caveat this post by stating that most of these stories are not posted here yet, I'm still playing 'catch up' to get all my works posted here. They are posted elsewhere but I won't advertise other sites here as I am a loyal subscriber to Lush.

Where does your inspiration come from?
0 likes
Various sources. My trips have certainly played into stories. My own personal life or people I know. The myriad books, movies, and so on I have consumed over the years. Just my fantasies in a lot of cases. It's a real mixed bag and in a lot of cases it would be hard for me to point at a story or character or setting and say "this is where it came from." I suppose the one exception is Eversham, my fictitious city, which is a mash-up of all the cities I've lived in over the years.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
From the men in my life, since my stories are true.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
From the men in Trin's life. Just don't tell her that.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Somebody's Dreams
0 likes
I haven't done a lot of writing for here yet. YET! lol. So far, from real life experiences.

I'd love it if you read my story for the Notorious Competition.

The Temptress of Tanner Street
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
For me My ideas are basically fantasies I have had etc. I have finished 2 stories but posted one on literotica. I also started 8 others lol. I would post here but I need someone good at editing to help me first.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
For erotica: real life.

For horror: real life.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My own warped, perverted, dirty and somewhat twisted mind. Being trapped in a useless body might amplify my imagination, but I've pretty much always had this dirty mind. I do sometimes, with permission or request, set stories in someone else's UNIVERSE.

Got to check out the Collecter, now.

amy221
kisses, amy
Lurker
0 likes
I get my story ideas mainly from dreams.
Force of Nature
0 likes
My stories come to me mostly in two ways.

Some are based more or less on my life, and something jogs my memory. I sit down and write it out.

Most of the rest are told to me by the characters. I'm serious, I do not create many of my stories, they appear in my mind and I write them down.

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
God knows...

Past experiences + drunken fantasies + ???...

Okay, mostly ???

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of getting naked in public.” -Paulo Coelho

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Random sexual thoughts; memories of people I've been with sexually or otherwise; real experiences of my own or people that I know; fantasies.
Writing quality explicit material for over eight one-hundredths of a century.

"If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while." - Tom Lehrer

"There is no such thing as good luck or bad luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation for a statistical universe." - Robert Heinlein
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Haven't published anything yet (first story in the queue now), but the stories I am writing all have their base in real life experiences. So at least part of what happened in every story (usually the start) will have happened in real life. Then I venture off into fantasy, things I would have liked to have happened rather than what actually happened (which in several cases was, nothing at all). Ideas for future stories are likely going to be fully fantasy based, possibly with inspirations from other stories.
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
1. My warped imagination.
2. My warped imagination when doing some mundane task like washing the dishes.
3. Conversations I have, or stuff I read here that spark random thoughts that end up forming story arcs.
4. Images, such as the one for "Innocence Surrendered" (shameless plug).

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find ninety-nine stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 67 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 18 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Lurker
0 likes
My fascination with the dark often leads me. Other times thought of sensual things.
The Linebacker
0 likes
From the CIA.
0 likes
Quote by Buz
From the CIA.

Ha! He finally reveals the truth. I knew there was something vaguely Bondish about you. .

Or are we talking the Culinary Institute of America?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Ha! He finally reveals the truth. I knew there was something vaguely Bondish about you. .

Or are we talking the Culinary Institute of America?

Both, one is a cover for the other.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I haven't published any stories on here yet, but as far as my rough drafts go, they are inspired by my own personal fantasies.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
I collect little ideas from all aspects of my life. After catching them, I let them swim around in a big glass bowl like the frogs in Jabba the Hutt's palace until they're big and strong. When I sit down to write, I reach in, grab the biggest, best idea and plaster it to a page (or screen) and share it with everyone else. All the other ideas sit there watching, quietly shitting themselves. However, ideas have short memories and are soon happily breeding and eating each other again... and so the cycle repeats.
Lurker
0 likes
Freddy Mercury said it best...

Is this the real life or is it just fantasy...escape from reality.

1 Some of my ideas came from story ideas in the forums of the site I used to post on. I always gave credit to the person with the idea.

2 Real life one or two of my stories are based at least in part on experiences I had or friends shared.

3 Fantasies hot co-workers, or others and what I would like to do to/with them. I tend to base characters on real people I know.

4 Stories just pop into my head. My newest series, just came to me lying in bed. Complete with a couple of paragraphs worth of dialogue and events. I began to type out that story and in about 12-14 hours (on my phone) ch 1 was complete.

5 Other writers stories. I take their idea and make it mine. For example I love the road trip/overpacked car idea and read many versions of this. All were mom on sons lap. I wanted a daughter on dads lap, so I wrote it.

6 In other forums there are options to role play with other members. Sometimes I take those chats and turn them into stories.

Inspiration can come from anywhere. Sometimes I go weeks or months without writing a single sentence, other times I'll write a 9 chapter 1500 word story in 3 days.

The muse is fickle. Just ask any one hit wonder.