Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Disconnect between forums and main site

last reply
6 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
The disconnect between the forums and the main site continues to be an issue. This includes:

- I changed my avatar and the old avatar is still showing at the top of the forums after several hours

- Lag in updating unread messages

- Friends Online indicator doesn't show in forums

Screenshots. These show the header with me logged in in two different places to illustrate the differences.

Main site

Forums

This dates back to last winter (I posted about one of these in March) and I thought it was to be fixed at some point.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
there have been some improvements! when i changed my avi, i noticed that it updated in the header on the forums right then. also, over the past few months when i'd choose to display my gold emblem, it would take twelve to twenty-four hours for it to show in the forums. last night it was instant. my unread messages sync sooner now as well.

ETA: seems i must've checked during the sweet spot earlier. did a test today and marked a message unread. it's been over two hours and my mail on the forum header has yet to sync.

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes
Hot damn. I've been so busy bitching about the mobile site that I forget about this.

to honeydipped for the bump.
Matriarch
0 likes
Due to the desktop site serving over 15 million monthly pageviews, to 1.3 million monthly users, the only option on a shoestring budget, is to heavily cache the site. Hence the delays.

The alternatives are we remove a whole bunch of features and make it a static site like *cough* inferior sites out there, add a mobile version which (hopefully) supplements our income and allows for technical improvements down the track, or we close the site.

We're doing everything we can to improve the site (s) across the board.

I think some people are forgetting that until a few months ago, we've only had one person managing the servers, for 12 years. Gav works as a full-time programmer elsewhere, and has a busy life outside of work. He only has a few hours a week available to work on the site.

Thank you for your understanding.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Due to the desktop site serving over 15 million monthly pageviews, to 1.3 million monthly users, the only option on a shoestring budget, is to heavily cache the site. Hence the delays.

The alternatives are we remove a whole bunch of features and make it a static site like *cough* inferior sites out there, add a mobile version which (hopefully) supplements our income and allows for technical improvements down the track, or we close the site.

We're doing everything we can to improve the site (s) across the board.

I think some people are forgetting that until a few months ago, we've only had one person managing the servers, for 12 years. Gav works as a full-time programmer elsewhere, and has a busy life outside of work. He only has a few hours a week available to work on the site.

Thank you for your understanding.

I think the vast majority of us understand perfectly, Nicola. It's just human to kvetch a bit now and then when change comes along. I love this site. I love what you have given us. Please, just continue doing what you do best and most of us will be pleased as punch.
0 likes
Quote by Green_Man

It's just human to kvetch a bit now and then when change comes along.

This isn't me kvetching about change. This is something that used to work that now doesn't. It is broken. It's a dead parrot (oops, wrong sketch). I can see why and I'll live with Nic's explanation but that doesn't change the fact that I am not kvetching about change, I am pointing out stuff that is not working as it should or as it used to. I work in IT and I admin a board myself and I WANT people to point out stuff that is not working as it should/used to. I would hope Nic and Gav are the same.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

This isn't me kvetching about change. This is something that used to work that now doesn't. It is broken. It's a dead parrot (oops, wrong sketch). I can see why and I'll live with Nic's explanation but that doesn't change the fact that I am not kvetching about change, I am pointing out stuff that is not working as it should or as it used to. I work in IT and I admin a board myself and I WANT people to point out stuff that is not working as it should/used to. I would hope Nic and Gav are the same.

Honestly, this never occurred to me that I was talking about you. I was speaking in general about the whole situation. My humble apologies. I will henceforth make sure my comments don't follow yours. I'd hate for you to think I am compaining about your completely honorable right to comment about anything, anywhere, at anytime.