last reply
1 reply
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Site administrator
0 likes
Thought this maybe of interest to some:

After January 12, 2016, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for older Internet Explorer versions. According to Microsoft, Internet Explorer 11 will be the last version of Internet Explorer as Microsoft shifts its focus on its next web browser, Microsoft Edge.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
That's almost 3 year old 'news'. Here's something more recently:

Quote by Wikipedia
On December 6, 2018, Microsoft announced major changes to Edge, including that it will be re-based on Chromium, using the same rendering engine as Google Chrome but with enhancements developed by Microsoft. It was also announced that there will be versions of Edge available for Windows 7, Windows 8, and macOS, and that all versions will be updated on a more frequent basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

Even though Edge is a major improvement over IE I'm not really a fan of it. But then again I'm not a Windows user, so maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it. I worry though that the shift towards Chromium will lead us to a world where Chromium will turn out to be the IE6 of the next decade. As Firefox will now become the only non-Chromium based major browser (well technically Safari is too, but Chromium is a fork of Safari's WebKit engine), making Chromium drive almost all browsers. When IE was about the only browser out there in the past we've seen that this lead many developers to only cater towards that single engine and its quirks, making interoperability/standards compliance take a back seat and eventually stagnating web development for quite a few years.
Let's hope we've learned from the past. But I've already seen website and applications that only work in Chromium based browsers in the last few years, so I fear the worst.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===