0 watchers
0 likes

Which do you prefer for reading?

14 votes remaining
eBooks (5 votes) 36%
Print books (12 votes) 86%
What's a book? (1 vote) 7%
0 likes
Of course eBooks are cheaper. But you can't share them with a friend. And they don't have a new book smell when they arrive. But you can make the font bigger. And you can kinda carry an entire library around with ease.

So which do you prefer and why?
Lurker
0 likes
print books

I reread my most favorite ones. Hence, my immense vocabulary! :d/

( I do have Kindle but rarely read from it.)
Troublemaker
0 likes
I've always loved print books and absolutely refuse to get an e-reader, its a fucking blasphemy. I've been slowly building a library of excellent books that covers the walls of a spare bedroom. I read my books over and over, often discovering new nuances as I change as a person. I have very eclectic taste with a decent collection of classic literature, history, health & fitness, reference books, design, photography, music not to mention completely random books you would never expect. I love my books.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Print books easily over eBooks though I am also partial to a good audio book, so I can still get through a book on the go.
0 likes
eBooks have some advantages, esp. for an old fart like me. Being able to set the type size to suit one's progressive prescription, for instance. Also, an e-reader or small tablet is easier to hold than a thick book.

Still love print, though. Grew up with books so there's definitely a certain comfort and familiarity with them.

One problem I find with e-reading is distraction. On a tablet, there's always other apps crying out for attention. Even on a dedicated e-reader, if you have a large collection, I find a tendency to skip from book to book rather than focus on the one you're supposed to be reading.

There's no "both have their pluses" option, though.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I used to always say print, but I have been slippping more and more into using my iPad to read. I buy all the smell of a book/feel of a book arguments, and agree, but ebooks let me carry around more than one book around, on a device that also has my calendar, email, yadayadayada, so it's just easier, and I just gradually gravitated toward i. Now 90% of my reading is on the iPad. The only times I read physical books is when I can't easily recharge (like when camping) or will be out in the sun, where there is too much screen glare.
0 likes
I favoured print books until I discovered the dyslexia font with sepia background on my iPad. The different font makes reading so much easier. So, yeah, I'm converted except for the issue with glare, as Verbal said. I love sitting in the sun to read and that's impossible with an Ipad.
Marx Sister
0 likes
I love books. Hard copies of books are beautiful, they smell good, and I've only ever gotten one paper cut ever and it was from homework, not a book. That said, books are not text searchable, and at this point are a wildly irresponsible use of trees, with sustainable harvesting being more or less a joke (the way it is done, anyway). Books also don't change font for accessibility, or have any other sort of flexible interface.

All textbooks should be ebooks, because it is idiotic to flip through a book for school in the traditional way. HUGE fucking time waster. In general, I have to come down on the side of ebooks if for not other reason than they are the environmentally wise choice.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Lurker
0 likes
I love print books. I love the feel of the pages and the smell of the paper. But as my eyesight continues to deteriorate, it's harder and harder to read them.

I still enjoy collecting books (my apartment is lined with shelves filled with books.) But I tend to use audio books more and more. PrincessC recently suggest a kindle because the font size can be changed, so I've ordered on of them. I still have an OCD need to buy and own the books I read however.

As for textbooks, I think I would need the actual book. I have a massive library of medical and physiology textbooks and I don't think I could read those on ebook. I hate even reading stuff on computer. I read a lot of research articles, and I need to print them out in order to read them and take notes.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I've used the tint reader for dyslexia but the results are no big deal for me and the tint sheets for reading print on paper are a pain to deal with. I'd still rather read on paper, so I prefer printed books.

When reading a novel l'd rather have a paperback because l can be rather rough on them. I feel guilty if l mess up a hardback. I do like to collect hardbacks, and between my wife and l, we have a pretty large library on the shelves.

I also love to collect great coffee table books. So l have way more coffee table books than we can put out at any one time. I have coffee table books on classic cars, classic propeller planes, swords, antique guns, sailing ships, motorcycles, all kinds of history, pirates, Vikings, Samurai, knights, sports, etc.

If my wife and l are taking a long drive on vacation we always check out audio books from the library.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I love bookstores. I love libraries. I love books.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by She
I love books. Hard copies of books are beautiful, they smell good, and I've only ever gotten one paper cut ever and it was from homework, not a book. That said, books are not text searchable, and at this point are a wildly irresponsible use of trees, with sustainable harvesting being more or less a joke (the way it is done, anyway). Books also don't change font for accessibility, or have any other sort of flexible interface.

All textbooks should be ebooks, because it is idiotic to flip through a book for school in the traditional way. HUGE fucking time waster. In general, I have to come down on the side of ebooks if for not other reason than they are the environmentally wise choice.

I appreciate the thought that books may be environmentally unsound but what happens to all those e-devices when people are done with them? Landfill; usually toxic. I would be interested in seeing a comparison though, also where pulp and paper industry fares against lumber or clearing land for cattle. I still love my books though.
1000% agree that text books and training materials should be electronic!
0 likes
I have always loved books and some years ago I thought I wouldn't like eBooks because they simply wouldn't feel the same.

But I was living abroad and it was hard to find books that I liked in a language I could understand, and when I did, they were quite expensive. Also, thinking about moving carrying all the books with me was painful. So I got myself an eReader, just for that. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It was so practical, so comfortable! I go everywhere carrying 100 books at least, and it's so light. It has a light so I can see the screen and read even if there's not much light. I can read while I eat, just leaving it on the table and lightly touching the screen when I need to turn the page... no need to hold it with both hands, no difficulties to keep it open.

I love it so much that I almost don't read paper books anymore... and when I do I find it slightly uncomfortable. I still love them, though, and bookshops and libraries are still high on my list of favourite places.

The only downside I see to the eBooks is that you can't have them on a shelf at home... but, on the other side, when you move you don't have to carry them in heavy boxes.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the early computer days, 1980s I preferred electronic, tho it lacked portability and easy access. At some point a couple decades ago I shifted to favoring print. I'm dyslexic, or perhaps some related visual cognation problem, & the change from friendly monochrome green screens to the multi window constant movement displays dd not work for me. Frequent scrolling & other display features cause me to lose the focus and have to constantly search back to the word or phrase I was registering on. This and other features slow me down, taking three or four times as long to read a paragraph or section as with print. To keep up with the reading I do, lots of magazines too, I regressed back to paper.Discussion boards and forums are about all the e reading I do at the present.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Definite PRINT. I want the feel of a book in my hand. Ebooks just aren't the same to me. No matter how hard they try to emulate the "feeling" of turning the page, etc.
Meagan
0 likes
Has to be a printed hardcover book that I am the first to read.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Printed books of erotica don't seem to sell as well as Ebooks. I suspect this is because men don't want their wives or girlfriends to find their stash of dirty books.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
I love all kinds of books. I have to be strong not to buy them all and make a nest out of them. I love nosing around libraries and proper second hand book shops where you're in physical danger if you knock into the stacks of books...