It's Saint Patrick's Day!

last reply
9 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes

It's Saint Patrick's Day! Who's excited?

I sure am myself, I have some Irish blood and who doesn't dream of fighting leprechauns under the influence of alcohol anyway? That's the Irish spirit!

I usually like to briefly go out in an Irish pub on March 17th just to have a few Irish drinks (quite a few of them here in Montreal), but considering that this year Saint Patrick's Day falls on a Saturday and that those places are going to be absurdly packed, my girlfriend is organizing a small party at her place later today instead (8-10 people or so).

Do you appreciate Irish drinks yourself? People attending our party have all been tasked to bring a different bottle of alcohol so that we can create many different fun Irish drinks.

First the unavoidable Irish Car Bomb, created with Guinness, Jameson Whiskey and Baileys:

Then, the colorful Irish Flag. Note that it's best to use Grand Marnier as your triple sec as it's lighter and easier to layer. Using the back of a spoon also helps to create the layers:

And why not, a Baby Guinness can also be fun if you have some Kahlua on hand:

Bottoms up!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Well my own Saint Patrick's Day definitely was a success (hic!).

Aside from the few drinks mentioned above, one of my friends and his girlfriend also brought 2 large pitchers of Sangria Verde (ie. green sangria). Because let's face it, expecting the few girls attending the party to get their fix of alcohol by repeatedly chugging down Irish Car Bombs wasn't quite reasonable. Their Sangria Verde was mixed from an ice cider called Dégel (from Domaine Neige), which is produced here in Quebec (Quebec is pretty much the homeland of ice ciders). You can actually find the official Sangria Verde recipe on their website. Here it is for those interested:

- 750ml Dégel cider
- 250ml white cranberry juice
- 250ml orange juice
- Just enough blue Curaçao to obtain the green color
- Plenty of ice cubes

And yes, blue Curaçao has to be used to get the green color, because the mix will mostly show the yellow color of orange juice prior to adding it (remember that blue + yellow = green). You could obviously also use another apple cider of your choice to obtain much similar results. White wine would probably be viable to some extent too, although you'll certainly be missing a small portion of the whole 'fruity' flavor and I can't really vouch for it myself. My friends even had the clever idea of adding small apple slices shaped as clovers into their sangria (easily done with an appropriate cookie-cutter).

What a fun and delicious drink this was:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
And because Irish gastronomy isn't just about drinking alcohol (surprising I know), I obligatory have to mention the delicious Irish lamb stew (deglazed with Guinness) that my girlfriend cooked. Her best friend also brought mini Shepherd Pies cooked directly into potato halves. I won't bother posting the exact recipes because they both found them on French websites and I don't feel like translating all those culinary terms, but you could easily find plenty of much similar recipes yourself all around the web.

I must confess that I'm generally not fan of red meat (especially those typical chunky steaks), but all these different stews really have a way to make the meat so damn tender and delicious. I actually talked my girlfriend into having a few 'Irish evenings' throughout the year just the two of us, simply to enjoy all those awesome Irish meals/drinks a bit more often. Why not, one Irish day per year just isn't enough to celebrate my Irish genes; I say let's get Irish every 17th of every month! Hoorah!

Oh, and we also opened a few bottles of Chardonnay to pair with that whole meal, which I compulsorily had to color in green by adding a few drops of food coloring.

What an enjoyable evening!

Lurker
0 likes
I've never thought of St Pats as a culinary type of holiday. I can do without the dyed beer. A few shots of Jameson, and I'm good.

I spent the night playing music as per usual. I was lucky enough to have my friend in town who was a member of the former world champion Simon Fraser University pipe band. Aside from a busted e string and the usual white nationalist presence, a good time was had by all.

Side note: any bagpipe or tin whistle players in BC, give me a call if you enjoy playing Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly type music from time to time...

When I was in college...my roommate and I threw a St. Patrick's day party in our University Townhouse. We thought that it would be a good idea to cover the lights with green filters... Nope! Green filters make everybody look disgusting. It's just not a flattering color.

I do feel a newfound desire for lamb stew though....
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I've never thought of St Pats as a culinary type of holiday. I can do without the dyed beer. A few shots of Jameson, and I'm good.

I spent the night playing music as per usual. I was lucky enough to have my friend in town who was a member of the former world champion Simon Fraser University pipe band. Aside from a busted e string and the usual white nationalist presence, a good time was had by all.

Side note: any bagpipe or tin whistle players in BC, give me a call if you enjoy playing Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly type music from time to time...

When I was in college...my roommate and I threw a St. Patrick's day party in our University Townhouse. We thought that it would be a good idea to cover the lights with green filters... Nope! Green filters make everybody look disgusting. It's just not a flattering color.

I do feel a newfound desire for lamb stew though....

Haha, ever since the movie The Departed came out, I inexplicably have this song spinning in my head from the moment I wake up on every March 17th:

Great bands (I love both punk and Celtic music), although I admittedly don't offer them enough love during the rest of the year; one more reason to establish those periodic 'Irish evenings' with my girlfriend, I guess (also the fact that I'd totally love to see her in green lingerie, shhh). My aforementioned party was more of a cordial gathering between friends however, so we mostly preferred having traditional Celtic music playing.

And I rarely ever did the 'green beer' thing myself either, especially since I practically always drink Guinness on Saint Patrick's Day (which isn't quite dyeable). I just spontaneously had this idea when my friend asked me which wines to bring; I suggested him to find white wines which would somehow match with the lamb stew, just to add some food coloring in them. What can I say, I'm relatively childish when it comes to Saint Patrick's Day and I just can't help but to propagate my Irish genes on just about anything or anybody.

Those other Irish drinks are definitely fun though, I obligatory have to slam down at least one Irish Car Bomb on every Saint Patrick's Day. And those Irish Flags are surprisingly pretty damn tasty as dessert shooters too; think of mint/orange flavored chocolate. It definitely was a success, especially among the girls (who aren't usually too keen about Irish Car Bombs as guys can be).

As you can certainly imagine, those stews really aren't complicated to cook either; it's mostly a matter of preparing the ingredients, dumping them in a pot, and cooking in the oven for an hour or two. And they do taste pretty fucking great, I always find it rather sad that those Irish pubs mostly end up serving alcohol while the Irish cuisine invariably remains in the background. I had a few meals at those places and it was just as delicious as some reputed restaurants I've been to (if not more).

The Irish cuisine definitely deserves more love!
Rebel just for kicks
0 likes
I'm irish, and the best way to spend Lá Fheile Phádraig is to go to see the northern irish punk band Stiff Little Fingers play their annual st Patricks day gig in the Glasgow Barrowlands, incidentally I saw Dropkick Murphys play on a line up with them in Cork last year .

As for cuisine.. I've been to Montreal , and had Poutine,
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by prettywild
I'm irish, and the best way to spend Lá Fheile Phádraig is to go to see the northern irish punk band Stiff Little Fingers play their annual st Patricks day gig in the Glasgow Barrowlands, incidentally I saw Dropkick Murphys play on a line up with them in Cork last year .

As for cuisine.. I've been to Montreal , and had Poutine,

I'm not exactly sure why you're mentioning our own national dish in a thread about Saint Patrick's Day. Did you mean to say that you once had a poutine in an Irish pub here in Montreal? Those places do serve poutine regularly, but that's mostly because they already serve fries and simply topping them with cheese curds and adding poutine on their menu really isn't that much trouble. An Irish pub is the very last place where I'd have a poutine myself (especially since I only allow myself to eat a poutine once every 2 years or so).

I have to ask though (since you're Irish), are elaborate burgers a big part of the modern gastronomy in Ireland? I know that they obviously aren't considered a traditional meal, but Irish pubs always offer a variety of gigantic appetizing burgers and I often find myself wondering just how Irish those really are. I tried to investigate online a few times, but the results are rather sparse and conflicting.

Lurker
0 likes

I'm looking for female guitarist with an upper thigh tattoo. female background vocals add layers to a Celtic song
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I'm looking for female guitarist with an upper thigh tattoo. female background vocals add layers to a Celtic song

That's not finicky in the fucking slightest, haha. But I say screw the background vocals and let those fierce female vocalists have the lead.

I discovered this band Wucan a few years ago. Great female vocalist and the flute certainly adds a nice Celtic touch to that 70s rock foundation (quite reminiscent of Jethro Tull in fact, which I love). Dropkick Murphys is more Celtic at its core with an obvious punk-rock twist, while this is more old-school rock at its core with a Celtic twist.

Different but still interesting: