Who's into gardening here?

last reply
36 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I have a blank canvas more or less in my new house, I'm thinking of adding a few medium size trees to the front of the property for added privacy.

Which trees would you choose? I'm thinking Japanese maple as a definite:

0 likes
I love the colour of Japanese maples. I've heard they don't like frost though, so we haven't used them in our garden.

We've planted a few robinias. They grow super fast and have been indestructable (so far). Also, a weeping mulberry tree. I like the look of it, and the fruit's really sweet.
Mr Nobody
0 likes
You need some Mexicans for yard work ...
My man Sanchez is a lazy bastard but with a good kicking
he does a good job
Matriarch
0 likes
Robinias might be too big for the front garden, it's only about 3 metres wide, and I don't want something eating my drains. Would be nice out the back though.

Fruit trees are always good to attract birds and the good insects.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
he does a good job

I don't think I've ever met a Mexican in 14 years living in Sydney. Not even at a Mexican restaurant, it was run by Aussies.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
We have a Japanese Maple in our front yard and I love it!! Very pretty, especially in the fall. It lasted our ice storm last year, so I would say they are quite hardy.
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by DBarclay
he does a good job

I don't think I've ever met a Mexican in 14 years living in Sydney. Not even at a Mexican restaurant, it was run by Aussies.

You have the indigenous people to enslave ...

We need to bring slavery back
Lurker
0 likes
Do the Japanese Maples leave lots of leaves to be raked? Yes, you have to think of drains and septic systems when it comes to trees.

I've got some lilac "trees" next to the house, and the scent is beautiful in the spring.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Do the Japanese Maples leave lots of leaves to be raked? Yes, you have to think of drains and septic systems when it comes to trees.

I've got some lilac "trees" next to the house, and the scent is beautiful in the spring.

They lose their leaves like any other tree, but their leaves are smaller.
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Matriarch
0 likes
Can't I just let the wind blow the fallen leaves away, or the worms can eat them?

The grass will need cutting anyway, so they'll get scooped up that way I guess.

DB, you're a disgrace. But you knew that already.
Seeker
0 likes
Love lilac bushes! My favorite flowers!

Snowball bushes are nice, too.

Matriarch
0 likes
They're very pretty bushes birdie.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
we have a Japanese maple but there are several varieties, ours is not very tall but very cool. Check out a Korean spice ours is 3 years old and about 3 foot tall they don’t seem to grow very fast and are very fragrant.
Algol
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Grass needs a trim ....

Matriarch
0 likes
I see you have green fingers DB
Lurker
0 likes
OMG David! Is that you?
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
OMG David! Is that you?

Could be ....
Matriarch
0 likes
DB is actually a 47 year old blonde female lawyer called Pam in real life. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hey Nicola I'm a horticulturalist/landscape designer what hardiness zone and area are you in? Think about what the tree will look like in the winter. Magnolias have great seed pods and flowers buds for winter interest instead of just bear branches and go great wtih jap maples. Also most jap maples grow SLOW and magnolias will grow much faster but come in varieties that stay smaller. Also mix in some evergreens and flowering shrubs. Be happy to help you with a design if you like just mail me. my pics are to big for this board I can email you some.

Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks Bunny12. I live in Australia, an hour or so South of Sydney, about 5 minutes drive to the beach, so it never gets really really cold here.

What I am looking for are some attractive trees to plant out the front, which are preferably fast growing, and don't need lopping - ones that grow to around 20 feet at most would be ideal. Evergreens would be better as I am primarily after more privacy at the front of the house. I'd love to plant cherry blossoms, but for 11.5 months a year they look like sticks LOL.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by chefkathleen
OMG David! Is that you?

Could be ....

Well I've seen your bare butt and your face. I can die a happy woman.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Thanks Bunny12. I live in Australia, an hour or so South of Sydney, about 5 minutes drive to the beach, so it never gets really really cold here.

What I am looking for are some attractive trees to plant out the front, which are preferably fast growing, and don't need lopping - ones that grow to around 20 feet at most would be ideal. Evergreens would be better as I am primarily after more privacy at the front of the house. I'd love to plant cherry blossoms, but for 11.5 months a year they look like sticks LOL.

Here is a link to a data base of trees and shrubs for your area:

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/plantfinder/plant_finder_TREESANDSHRUBS.htm

I really like the Banksia tree as a focal point mixed with some blue spruce and magnolia under planted with hydrangea and holly but then I'm a total plant freak! I need to know more about your soil, drainage and light conditions to make better recommendations.
Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for the link B12
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love growing Garlic!
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm going to turn the bottom of the garden into a haven for native Australian plants, Wattle, Banksias (Bottle Brushes), Proteas, Grevillias and the like.

It will save me from having to close off the end of the garden with a proper fence, and encourages the natural wildlife.

These look rather phallic:

Lurker
0 likes
What are those?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the link as well Bunny! When we bought the house the front was all done, but the back yard was bare dirt with two small maples. We've put in the patio, the hot tub and a few small shrubs, but it would be nice to add more. Neither of us knows much about plants so it's nice to know what will survive and thrive.

Darn. It's for Australia only....
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Mr Nobody
0 likes
Pool need a quick vacumn to get those leaves and bits out ...

Lurker
0 likes
Big party last night?