What is your favorite wine?

last reply
37 replies
4.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
What is you favorite wine? What type? What country? What region? What do you like to pair it with?

Mana wahine
0 likes
There is a rule in my house; we have Sav in the summer, which is lighter, and red in the winter. For Sav we like Gunn Estate, which is a local winery, so we support local business. Dashwood, but I am not sure where that comes from and I cannot be arsed googling it right now. For the reds in the winter we like Shiraz, Cabernet or Claret.
0 likes
I prefer reds myself, usually Cabernet or Merlot. Having lived in Ontario's wine country for a while, I lean domestic when at home but when I travel, I tend to try whatever is local or available. I had a Spanish red, whose name now escapes me, that I quite liked during my vacation in Mexico over New Year's. The resort was serving it as their house red in the dining room.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nice merlot from usually California. Oregon and Washington are improving.
Lurker
0 likes
My favorite is Chateau Neuf de Pape

It comes from the South of France. It also comes in a really cool bottle. It has a rustic look...kind of like you just unearthed it from a shipwreck.

Wine snobs bitch about North American wines, but I enjoy Napa Valley and Okanagan. Even though I'm from the Okanagan, I tend to opt for California because they tend to be a bit more reasonable price wise. (Sorry Niagra Valley... I just can't get into east coast wines).

If I eat red meat, my choice is generally a bold Australian Shiraz. Even though Australian reds are a bit more expensive than South American, I find that they are far superior taste-wise.

The best 20 dollar bottle I've had is probably 19 Crimes Shiraz.

If I have Asian food, especially if it's spicy... I go with German Reisling. Cold weather wines just aren't that great, but the sweetness of Reisling nicely balances the flavors of Kun Pao Chicken.

For desert wines, I like Muscato. Although I don't really eat deserts so this one really doesn't come into play often.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I most definitely wouldn't call myself an oenophile: I rarely ever drink wine alone by myself (I much prefer cocktails in the late evening) and my categorization of wines is limited to either good or bad, haha. My girlfriend is quite a bit more particular than I am though, and so I love to bring a good wine when she prepares a distinctive meal.

Over here in Quebec the sales of wines is regulated by the provincial government, and the only way to buy a bottle is through dedicated governmental stores (ie. SAQ). On the downside the price of wine is some of the highest around the world (commonly twice the price of US or European countries), on the upside we always receive excellent personalized service. For special occasions (being invited somewhere or my girlfriend preparing a particular meal), I can just ask the clerks to propose me a few wines according to the anticipated meal, and I'll usually buy something in the $20-40 price range. I really don't have any personal favorites that I keep coming back to though, I just enjoy picking up a bottle according to my gut feelings and how the clerks are describing the wines to me.

For the average dinner with my girlfriend, we usually rotate between the same three $10 bottles of red wine: Gato Negro, Castillo de Monseran, Los Molinos. They're respectively a Cabernet Sauvignon, Garnacha, and Tempranillo. Gato Negro is from Chile, the two others are from Spain. Purely coincidental, but my girlfriend happens to love the Spanish culture, haha (she actually takes lessons). Very good wines for their prices and these bottles can repeatedly be found on diverse 'value picks' lists. The hilarious thing is that on a few occasions the $30 bottle that I brought just tasted awful and we simply opened a good old bottle of Castillo de Monseran instead.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Well, very many to choose from around here without surprise. And while it may sound easy and obvious, you can't really top the best Bordeaux around. Seriously, even a bad millésime from Yquem, Lafite or Pétrus is an other type of wine entirely, where nothing is left to chance. Same goes for the great Loire whites. But because there's no way I can afford that more than once a year (and I don't have any kind of import tax to pay), let's list some wines you can actually afford.

Table red: Faugères
For red wines, these are quietly getting a nice reputation in France. It's one of those areas that used to make some very "peasant" wine, hard red without much work in either the vineyards or the assemblage. Just leave some grabes on a souther rocky hill, harvest when ripe, press and serve. Similar to what Fronton does, or to a lesser extent Madiran and Cahors. But "piquette" just won't do anymore in winemaking, and in the past few years there's been an interesting move towards quality production around Faugères. You've got yourself young, small producers really looking to make something of the grapes. They're still learning, but you can already feel that southwestern sun and environment. It's very round and mature, so it's great for the table, but there's also more and more nuances. It won't ever cost you more than 10€, so I highly recommend it.

Pleasure red: Lacrima di morro d'Alba
These are very weird wines that definitely aren't for everybody (and I don't mean that in the snob way, it's a love it or hate it kind of a deal). The Lacrima grape has a very peculiar taste, extremely powerful and abrasive to the tongue, so it's not an aperitive wine in the least. Actually, it's closer to a digestive than anything else. That said, I personally love it for sheer strangeness. Try it once.

Table white: Albariño
So, this choice really comes from my habit of only serving white wine with seafood. I have a strong preference for red even with white meat (for which people would probably enjjoy a Muscadet or Sauvignon more) or pork meals. But for seafood, no one does it better than the Galicians. It's really an amazing wine, very fresh, although it's a risky choice because it's also very acidic which in the wrong hands can make for excessively agressive bottles. Find the one you like best and stick with it.

Pleasure white: Eiswein
You guys will notice that I made an effort not to stay french in this list, but however much it may hurt me to recommend GERMAN wines (*shivers*), I just love eisweins. They can be quite expansive and hard to find, and I usually default to some Alsacian Riesling eisweins, which are starting to get far more than decent. But still, Austrian eisweins remain the best I've tasted so far. Because I tend to drink white mostly at aperitive, I also have a taste for Sauternes (you'll see the pattern for very sugary stuff, these and eisweins are worse than soda), or on the complete other end of the scale you can keep things fresh with a good Graves.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I, unhappily, am allergic to red wine so it is always white wine for me....cold, crisp and dry.

My absolute favourite is Muscadet (I have visited a vineyard in the region) but can get by with Pinot Grigio, Soave, White Merlot or similar. NOT Chardonnay, though.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
My go to, every day white is a Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
100% Napa Cabs and Bordeaux/Meritage/Red blends.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Any wine that enhances the food i am eating.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i love a crisp riesling after a long day. something about it is just so soothing... winesday with the girls generally calls for prosecco or moscato. they're fun and flirty and match the mood perfectly.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Been getting into Chardonnay recently but don't really remember much the actual labels.
Lurker
0 likes
Charles Krug Generations....a red blend.....Krug is the oldest winery in the Napa Valley
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Bordeaux
Château Lafitte
Château Margaux

Champagnes
Cristal Roderer
Dom Perrignon
Lurker
0 likes
most anything from the Charles Krug winery in the Napa Valley
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lately i have been enjoying relatively inexpensive French Bordeaux
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Oh, they dont have to be expensive to be good. I buy mine at *a well known supermarket chain*
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I gravitate towards the merlot blend reds the most - a decent French Bordeaux would probably be my favourite.

Otherwise, I don't mind a decent malbec if it's not too fruity. Don't like pinot noir or shiraz particularly. Italian reds tend to be inoffensive and smooth, though not at the top of my list.

As for white wine, I'm less fussy about the grape but like it on the dry side but without too much acidity or zest or floral-ness. Sauvignon Blanc is good but also a chablis or muscadet.

Enjoy rose too but not sparkling wine so much.

As for food, I keep it simple: red with meat and poultry (although I would consider some whites with the poultry), white with fish and salad, cold pilsner with indian food smile
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Generally I find the best wine is the one in my glass at the time.
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by samg61
Generally I find the best wine is the one in my glass at the time.

can't go wrong there!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
giggles...sometimes you can!!!
Lurker
0 likes
My fav is French Ferrari Carano Pinot Noir, but I like most German or French Pinot.

Ferrari Carano have many good French wines I think,
except their Chardonnay made in the California, U.S.
It kinda sucks like watered down fruit juice.
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
I would have to say Red. I refer the Shiraz, but recently have been drinking a lot of Merlot. Last I tried a Shiraz Mourvedre. I'd like to say I could notice the difference, but I was quite tipsy by then so I can't.

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Red: Cabernet
White: Chardonnay
Rose: White Zinfandel
Sparkling: Champagne
Boxed: Sangria
Bum: Night Train

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?