last reply
18 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/6033030/dan-brown-vinci-sequel

Should prove an interesting read. My speed reading years are behind me, I'm not up to this challenge:

Dan Brown fans have been waiting years for his latest book, but one Australian reader is expected to take just over two hours to finish it and reveal its mystery plot to the nation.

The Lost Symbol, the follow-up to Brown's 2003 hit The Da Vinci Code, is released globally at 9am (AEST) on Tuesday.

Intrigue and rumours have been swirling around the closely-guarded plot of The Lost Symbol, which is widely believed to focus on the Freemasons.

Brown's famous protagonist Robert Langdon returns in the new novel, which is promised to feature the history, codes and thrilling plot loved by his fans.

The first global print run of 6.5 million is the largest in the history of its publisher Random House, in anticipation of matching the 81 million copies of The Da Vinci Code sold around the world.

At the Sydney launch, publishers will be on the hunt for the country's fastest speed reader, who will be given the chance to settle the speculation by delivering the first review.

Entrants in the speed reading contest will be given a copy of the book at the State Library of NSW the moment it is released.

In the historic setting of the library, the first person is expected to finish reading The Lost Symbol in two and a half hours and will deliver the review to the public and press.

Managing director of Random House Australia Margie Seale said the launch will harness intrigue around the book.

"Millions of Australians have enjoyed the pure adrenalin thrill of Dan Brown's novels, coupled with their fascinating historical insights," Ms Seale said in a statement.

The Australian paperback edition of The Da Vinci Code spent more than a year on the best seller list.

After the global success of The Da Vinci Code, which was also made into a blockbuster movie, Brown's earlier novels Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and Deception Point have all become international hits.
0 likes
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like The Da Vinci Code. I didn't really enjoy his writing style and there was one clue near the end that was so obvious, it left me wanting to yell at his characters in frustration for not getting it!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lisa
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like The Da Vinci Code. I didn't really enjoy his writing style and there was one clue near the end that was so obvious, it left me wanting to yell at his characters in frustration for not getting it!

You're not alone!
Didn't even finish it!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lisa

I read the first chapter and stopped. I disliked his writing style and the details he was giving out. I can't even say "story", because there didn't seem to be one at that point.
0 likes
I don't feel so alone anymore!
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm going to embarrass myself by admitting I didn't read the Da Vinci Code, but I watched it in the cinema

I would like to read about the masons though, I find the whole secret nature of their organisation fascinating.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I'm going to embarrass myself by admitting I didn't read the Da Vinci Code, but I watched it in the cinema

I would like to read about the masons though, I find the whole secret nature of their organisation fascinating.

A kindred soul. I only bothered with the movie.

FYI, Freemasonry is NOT a secret society, rather a society with secrets. Their are some great factual books now available - probably to counter Mr Brown's version.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
0 likes
Ive been a little unsure as to whether to respond to this post.

As a Freemason myself, I look upon such media with a combination of both amusement and sadness, ebcause they trivialise and dramatise our beloved group for profits, melodrama and titillation. Ask a mason if he is one, he will say yes, we are not secretive because we have something to hide, but rather, because we know that what we believe is a little curious even odd, and so we are worried about backlash. Given that we suffered at the hands of the Nazis, as well as Italian and Spanish fascists, you'll pardon us for feeling a bit wary.

If people have GENUINE queries about the Craft, then feel free to do so. All I ask is that you ask your questions in a respectful way. Hopefully I will be able to provide some much needed positive publicty about our organisation.
Lurker
0 likes
That's a good idea wenkinnoc.
My cousins hubs is a Mason. My hubs has thought about joining as well. They do a lot of good work for people.
Lurker
0 likes
Personally, couldn’t care less about the masons or any other dinky group who wants to meet in secret except for when their discriminatory practices impact on other people. The only question worth asking is why they are secret? If it is just odd, then come out of the closet and admit you have a thing for aprons or something. Most of the world would just say O-hum and forget about the masons.

Suspect the masons don’t what that!

Do the masons discriminate against people based on race or some other discriminatory criteria? If so, that's wrong!

As for discrimination, most people say they abhor it and almost in the same breath say terrible things about some race or religion, gypsies (for example) as if it is ok.
Lurker
0 likes
as you just did toward the Masons.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
as you just did toward the Masons.

No, not true. Check the definition of discrimination.
Lurker
0 likes
Do the masons discriminate against people based on race or some other discriminatory criteria? If so, that's wrong!

No we dont. We accept people of all colour, race and age. I myself have severe arthitis and so have trouble walking, yet they took me. One fellow is a black, and we have a fellow with epilepsy. We accept all people, even ignorant people like your self.

What evidence do you have for your allegations? I strongly recommend that when you DO make such claims, you have proper evidence. Otherwise, you are slandering. You are stereotyping an entire group of people based on your own prejudices and what you believe to be the truth...something which you accuse us of. Get off your tall white horse, and look in the mirror. Your hypocrisy sickens me.
Flutterby Pharie
0 likes
Ok I am gonna step out on a limb here and ask a stupid question. What is a mason and a freemason??
♥ Listen, touch, and look around in the air and on the ground. If you watch all nature's things, you might just see a fairy's wings. ♥
Matriarch
0 likes
Freemasons and Masons are the same I believe Pixie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemason

My grandfather was actually a Mason, but I know very little about the organisation.

Thank you for your input wenkinnoc, it's nice to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge.
Lurker
0 likes
What evidence do you have for your allegations? I strongly recommend that when you DO make such claims, you have proper evidence. Otherwise, you are slandering. You are stereotyping an entire group of people based on your own prejudices and what you believe to be the truth...something which you accuse us of. Get off your tall white horse, and look in the mirror. Your hypocrisy sickens me.

Said better than I could.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by wenkinnoc

No we dont. We accept people of all colour, race and age. I myself have severe arthitis and so have trouble walking, yet they took me. One fellow is a black, and we have a fellow with epilepsy. We accept all people, even ignorant people like your self.

Wow! Speaking of high horses. Your high horse is out of the stable!
Re-read my post and try not to be so bloody defensive. I simply asked the question.
Believe me, could not give a toss about masons – the fact that you rushed to defend without even reading the post properly says more about you and your little group than I ever could.
And I sicken you? It seems the people belong to the masons are incapable of intellectual debate.
Oh, by the way, have been insulted by experts and you, my little friend, aren't even close!
Lurker
0 likes
The fact that you even posted about my group in the first place indicates that you DO have some personal feelings.

If people would like to query me about any aspect of the Craft, then send me a private message or chat, and I will duly answer.