Do you know your ancestry?

last reply
2 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes

Do you know your ancestry?

Well do you? Has anyone in your family ever investigated your genealogy and shared the findings?

If yes, how detailed is it? How far can you trace your ancestors back and what did you learn?

Where on Earth do you originate from? Any historical figures in your lineage? Some royal blood maybe?

Please share!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Frasier is an Americanization of Fraser, Scottish clan from the Inverness highlands. On my mom's side, I'm mostly Cherokee, from an enclave along the Ohio river that branched off from the Cherokee Qualla Boundary in North Carolina. My maternal grandmother had a detailed genealogy recorded. There are a few renowned Frasiers a few generations back, but if I tell you who my paternal grandfather was, I'd be giving away too much personally identifiable information.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'm a French-Canadian living in Montreal myself, but where exactly did I get here?

Concerning the ancestry of my mother's side, my grandfather actually commissioned his own genealogy during the 60s: two large encyclopedic tomes which my mother eventually inherited. Mind you, quite a few people living in Quebec share those exact same early ancestors, so only the last few segments were custom-written for my family.

I read some of it when I was younger, mostly concerning the first few French settlers who arrived here in Canada (or New France at that time). My first ancestor arrived quite early, around 1610 which was the period when the first major French settlements were being established (Quebec City was founded in 1608, Montreal in 1642). Nothing all that memorable aside from that, although that first ancestor eventually died at the hands of Natives at a relatively young age (around 45 if my memory serves right). And yes, the overwhelming majority of my progenitors came from France (my mother's name is a very typical French name), even though I have little information regarding my ancestors prior to their arrival in America.

Aside from that on my mother's side, my great-grandmother was Irish. This essentially makes me 1/8th Irish, although those nasty Irish genes seem to be pretty fucking obstinate in my mother's family; I've always looked nearly half-Irish with my brown-reddish hair, childhood freckles, and badass temper. My grandmother also once confidently told me that there was some Native blood in her lineage (and thus mine), though that's always been obscure and I've never been able to confirm it with written records.

Now I've always been curious about my father's ancestors, but nobody in my family ever bothered to investigate our past (until recently). Particularly, I've always been interested to know where my name came from: oddly enough it's a fairly rare name and I've always joked that there are more places/things with my family name than there are people (which is quite accurate, there are only about 50 of us in Quebec's phone directory). Luckily, my uncle has recently been researching our genealogy and he sent me a 100+ pages document just last week (which I devoured in its entirety).

Note: I voluntarily mirrored the images presented here, just to prevent my relatives to inadvertently land on this page.

So, the first ancestor on my father's side who arrived here in America did so quite a bit later than my mother's ancestors did: in 1755, which is nearly 150 years after my maternal ancestry. I'm officially the 8th generation to live here in Canada. In chronological order:

1- Jean
2- Antoine
3- Isildore
4- Charles
5- My great-grandfather
6- My grandfather
7- My father
8- Myself

Jean was born in southern France in 1730, in a tiny village just a few miles away from Carcassonne; even today, only around 450 people live in that village. Talk about narrowing my ancestors down! This is the church of that village, both today and circa 1890:

The reason I'm showing this church? Well my family name is actually a religious one, which believe it or not originated in that tiny unremarkable chapel of southern France. Pretty damn cool, huh? For years I suspected that my name came from a place/territory instead: there are actually quite a few places in France that share my name (including villages, neighborhoods and a small region).

My first known ancestor in fact carried more than one family name, which was quite common at that time among French people. They used the term 'dit' for that, which is French for 'said', which essentially means 'also known as'. So the complete name of my ancestor was Jean [something], dit [something], dit [my name]. It was only my 4th ancestor (ie. Charles) who eventually dropped the other names in the early 1900s to only keep mine, hence why we're so damn scarce today. Oddly enough, his brothers actually preserved the other names.

Anyway, back in southern France, Jean enrolled to be part of the King's Army in 1750, at the age of 20. He was officially sent to America in 1755 (aged 25) to fight against the invading British Empire, along with 690 other men and 40 officers who were part of the Régiment de Guyenne. The boats that carried them over the Atlantic Ocean were named Le Léopard and L'Illustre; Jean was aboard Le Léopard. A great armada of 25 ships also accompanied them, totalling 3,336 soldiers, 9,450 crew members and 1,048 cannons. The journey proved to be extremely difficult and took nearly 2 months. Jean finally arrived in Quebec City on June 23, 1755.

This is a summary of the occupations/battles which the Régiment de Guyenne participated into:

- Fort Frontenac et Fort Niagara, 1755
- Bataille du fort Chouague, 1756
- Bataille du fort William Henry, 1757
- Bataille du fort Carillon, 1758
- Bataille de Montmorency, 1759
- Bataille des plaines d'Abraham, 1759
- Bataille de Sainte-Foy, 1760
- Bataille du fort de l' Île-aux-Noix, 1760

Interestingly, my ancestor actually took part in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham just outside of Quebec City in 1759, the pivotal battle where the French people capitulated most of their possessions to the British Empire. That battle was an absolute joke (the French capitulated almost immediately) and I doubt that Jean did much more than scratching his enormous balls (hey, I'm only reporting the historical facts here), but still.

After the war in 1760, which was only 5 years after Jean arrived, the British Empire deported any remaining French soldiers back to France. Jean astutely hid from them to remain here in America, alongside Marie-Françoise, a lovely French girl from a family who lodged him during the war (wink-wink). See, I'm officially from a lineage of clever romantics; the apple really didn't fall far from the tree. Jean and Marie-Françoise formally got married in 1762. They eventually had two sons, including my ancestor Antoine. Jean died fairly young in 1777, at the age of only 47-year-old.

Antoine himself, seeking adventure in his young age, travelled to the west on two different occasions to participate in the fur trade near Thunder Bay, Ontario. A bit more money in his pockets, he eventually returned in Quebec where he became a farmer (as most French-Canadians of that time). Essentially, all of my ancestors since have been farmers, until my great-grandfather and grandfather became manufacturing workers themselves. Yes, I come from a particularly poor lineage on my father's side (fucking British Empire).

This is my ancestor Charles (circa 1905), which is in fact the grandfather of my grandfather. Charles is significant in my genealogy because, as stated above, he was the first to formally adopt my name (and only my name) while dropping the other ones from my previous ancestors.

Quite a charming fellow, isn't he? Gotta love the Nietzschean moustache (fuck yeah!). And holy shit does he look uncannily familiar. Pretty much everybody on my father's side has those exact same eyes, that kind of deep brown George Clooney-esque eyes. That comforting-yet-reserved smile is pretty typical of my family too. And the overall posture, particularly how his feet are positioned. And the prominent veins on his left hand, which is a common defect among men of my family, myself included. In short, if you ever see a young man with a curiously similar appearance (yet much less chubby) while walking in Montreal, you probably just bumped right into me.

Anyway, it was such a great experience to plunge into my ancestry this past week, reading about the illustrious events of Quebec until it all converged to familiar people very close to me and my own modern reality. Admittedly, I nearly dropped a tear in the last few pages of that document, when all that spectacular historical adventure eventually led to something especially close to my heart: the marriage of my parents, complete with their dates of births and where they got married (okay, I totally dropped a tear). Proof that we're all part of something much greater than our own individual selves.