Winter Olympics Korea 2018

last reply
100 replies
10.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Are you watching? Do you care? What events are you interested in?

How do you feel about Russia being excluded?

By the way... when did curlers get so damn hot?

0 likes
I'll watch some. Being Canadian, skiing, figure skating (Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, who have been racking up medals for Canada in ice dance for years and come from the city where I live are in their final major competition, so I want to catch their free skate at least), and hockey tend to be the big ones. Curling is another one we excel at but I find it rather dull to watch (with apologies to my late father and grandfather who were both curlers). Got my PVR set to record the opening ceremonies since they are on during work hours here thanks to the time difference between Korea and Canada.

I have mixed feelings about the Russia thing. The fact that they fucked around and likely had a formal, coordinated doping plan can't be ignored. OTOH, some sports will definitely notice their absence, e.g. hockey, where they have been a powerhouse for decades.

As for when did curlers get hot, we've had hot curlers for some time here in the great white north. Our ladies' curlers are among the best in the world and some of them have been pretty easy on the eyes, too.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Admittedly, I am a Winter Olympics junkie. I am interested in all of it.

My favourite events are:

Figure skating - most excited to see Virtue and Moir in their third Olympics, even though the French team will get gold, but also excited to see what the girls can do (Daleman, and I love Osmond's Black Swan free). Canada is in good shape to (possibly) win the team event as well, after the overall disastrous men's short program last night.

Also - snowboarding! Slopestyle and Big Air for the thrill of seeing Mark McMorris - back and competing, against all odds, after a near death disaster during some backcountry snowboarding last year. Here's an excellent documentary about his accident and road to recovery.

I'm looking forward to moguls as well. Kingsbury will be King, and hoping the girls continue to push for medals - there are several right in the mix.

And, of course, Hockey... because... Canada.

As for the Russians. They didn't go nearly far enough in the 'ban' - which can barely even qualify as a ban (in name only). So many athletes were robbed in Sochi, the system defrauded. This still feels like a slap on the wrist. I feel for the truly clean athletes that want to compete, but I hope the criteria is stringent and the checks are triple the norm for other athletes - but I hate that they aren't being transparent about it.

Articles like this continue to cast doubt on the Russian sports system in general.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I am an Olympic slut, I won't lie. Winter and Summer. Super excited for the opening ceremony tonight. in the mean time, been catching the mixed doubles curling round robin...

looking forward to, this year:

I love the snowboarding. Hannah Teter has always been a fav, but this year, my eyes are on Chloe Kim. She's a real firecracker and can't wait to see her own the pipe.

Speed Skating, short track, another fav - it's insane - and this year it's all about Maame Bliney. love the long track too, but yeah, be glued to the tv whenever she skates. smile

i love curling, and yeah, i could have told you the women curlers are hot. one of the reasons i watch! biggrin also, it's a great sport, once you understand it - a lot a skill and strategy. any who doesn't enjoy a good curling match has just never sat down and watched it.

Never been much for the figure skating, tho i do like the free form, where they get to do their own routines. also, i know it's not as well respected, but the ice dancing is lovely - like a Disney movie, ya know?

the skiing is always exciting. pretty much i watch everything, but those are my faves.

as for the russians, dude, state sponsered doping? i mean, we all know everyone pushes the rules, but russia pretty much ignores them. no sympathy.

oh, and i like women's hockey, tho normally, i'm not big hockey fan. be rooting for Scotland this year to win big. :D

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
My fav is ski jumping because my grandfather, fr0m Massachusetts, did it when he was y0ung. I als0 really enj0y the biathl0n. L0ve the weird c0mb0 0f skiing and sh00ting. Really a traditi0nal sp0rt based 0n real life circumstances. Curling is fun, as well. And the cr0ss c0untry skiing is g00d, always c0ming d0wn t0 the last few sec0nds after they have skied f0r like h0urs.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

speed skating just got so much more interesting smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
My favorite event (Since NHL players aren't allowed to play these games) is Snowboardcross.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
My favorite event (Since NHL players aren't allowed to play these games) is Snowboardcross.

did you catch the snowboard style contest yesterday? i was heartbroken when McMorris fell on his final landing - hard not to be rooting for him after what he'd been thru - but wow, Gerard's last run was amazing - just nailed it. such a thrill.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
right now, enjoying Cat Curling smile

0 likes
Watched some ski jump and speed skating last night. Missed snowboard slopestyle and long track, in which Canada racked up its first medals (silver and bronze in the former, silver in the latter). As I popped over to CBC to check, I see another silver has come in, Justine Dufour-Lapointe in women's moguls. She also has a gold in the same event from Sochi 2014. So, three silver and a bronze for Canada. And we have a healthy point lead in Team Figure Skating so likely another medal coming there when it wraps up tonight with men's and women's free skate and ice dance free dance.

Finally saw the opening ceremonies yesterday (I PVR'd them). Nicely done show. Not as a over-the-top as some, but some good performances and fairly well paced and handled.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Chris Mazdser just won USA's first ever medal - a silver - in men's luge! omg. Loch, who everyone thought would take gold blew his last run. an amazing finish! Kudos to Canada strong showing, btw, in Snowboard slopestyle Parrot and McMorris were amazing.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I sooo wanted McMorris to nail that last run. He had the most technically difficult run of the day (in the second) but not 100% smooth (though still basically clean). These judges were looking for form vs technical. Bronze (or 'Rose Gold' as they call it) is still excellent, considering what he's overcome, and Parrot and Gerard slipped in with great final clean runs. On to Big Air, where there's still hope for a golden prize for MM.

The Canadian women's hockey team looked strong this morning against the Russians, with a 5-0 shutout.

And women's moguls were emotional! Great heart shown by Justine to grab a silver.

I have to catch up on long-track speed skating later.

And tonight... here's hoping Patrick Chan can stay on his feet enough to secure a Team gold in figure skating. Women's and Dance free should be solid enough, but P.Chiddy is a bit of a wild card.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I sooo wanted McMorris to nail that last run. He had the most technically difficult run of the day (in the second) but not 100% smooth (though still basically clean). These judges were looking for form vs technical. Bronze (or 'Rose Gold' as they call it) is still excellent, considering what he's overcome, and Parrot and Gerard slipped in with great final clean runs. On to Big Air, where there's still hope for a golden prize for MM.

The Canadian women's hockey team looked strong this morning against the Russians, with a 5-0 shutout.

And women's moguls were emotional! Great heart shown by Justine to grab a silver.

I have to catch up on long-track speed skating later.

And tonight... here's hoping Patrick Chan can stay on his feet enough to secure a Team gold in figure skating. Women's and Dance free should be solid enough, but P.Chiddy is a bit of a wild card.

it's called slopestyle for a reason. that said, Mark had a couple of amazing runs, and yeah, i hope he take gold in Big Air. one of my favorite things to see, btw, is how much love the snowboarders give each other. watching Carlos from NZ, who got knocked out of medals on the last run talking about Gerard - the little guy's my best friend. while they're compitive, they're just as supportive of each other. true olympic spirit.

missed the moguls - need to catch up on those! P.Chiddy, btw, sounds like a rap name. lol

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I have not much interest in it, but it's hard to miss here in the Netherlands. Particularly the long track speed skating of course.

An no Katie Couric, skating is not an "important mode of transportation" over here

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by noll
I have not much interest in it, but it's hard to miss here in the Netherlands. Particularly the long track speed skating of course.

An no Katie Couric, skating is not an "important mode of transportation" over here

don't pay any attention to Noll. If Katie Couric says it, it's true. word.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by sprite

don't pay any attention to Noll. If Katie Couric says it, it's true. word.

#katiecouricisthenewhomeschooling

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

it's called slopestyle for a reason. that said, Mark had a couple of amazing runs, and yeah, i hope he take gold in Big Air. one of my favorite things to see, btw, is how much love the snowboarders give each other. watching Carlos from NZ, who got knocked out of medals on the last run talking about Gerard - the little guy's my best friend. while they're compitive, they're just as supportive of each other. true olympic spirit.

missed the moguls - need to catch up on those! P.Chiddy, btw, sounds like a rap name. lol

Yeah, the bromance level is high in snowboarding, and I love it. They all support each other and push each other on. Apparently the judging panels can differ in their criteria to a certain degree (taking this from commentaries on it). All of those guys are super talented though. Not to mention, nobody would have thought the Viking (Marcus Kleveland) would have been left on the podium before that event started.

And, P.Chiddy is the gangsta of men's figure skating. And no, it doesn't matter that he got kicked out of Liquor Barn for not having his ID. He just makes his own wine, like a Boss! smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Oh, the agony that Ski Ballet never made it into the Olympics after coming so close! I love those pouffy gold sleeves.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Looking forward to the skiing especially downhill. When in Colorado this past December/January, I watched several people training. Exciting!
Lurker
0 likes
I love the winter Olympics. The events I like are curling,snowboarding, skiing, figure skating and the bobsled events. Also enjoy the occasional hockey game too.
The Linebacker
0 likes
There ain't anyone from my neck of the woods in the Winter Olympics.

I like any speed events. I'd like to see Sprite Ice Tickling as a sport as well as Polar Bear Wrestling.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I'm not a super big fan of figure skating. that said, i wanted to watch Adam Ripon, cause i like him, so i did, in the team event. the music was beautiful, his entire program was beautiful, and it was just so graceful and filled with love - actually teared up - i'm officially an Adam Ripon fan. and then, the fucking Canadian guy comes out and skates to Hallilujah? No like, i'm like, You fucker, i hope you fall! and then, he did, and i felt awful about it - then, when the judges scored him higher than Adam, i stopped feeling sorry. fucking Canadian prick.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite
I'm not a super big fan of figure skating. that said, i wanted to watch Adam Ripon, cause i like him, so i did, in the team event. the music was beautiful, his entire program was beautiful, and it was just so graceful and filled with love - actually teared up - i'm officially an Adam Ripon fan. and then, the fucking Canadian guy comes out and skates to Hallilujah? No like, i'm like, You fucker, i hope you fall! and then, he did, and i felt awful about it - then, when the judges scored him higher than Adam, i stopped feeling sorry. fucking Canadian prick.

PChiddy had two clean quad combos. Rippon was a lovely skater (and has a kickass back story so he'll be a fan fave for years), but he didn't attempt any quads. It comes down to technical difficulty of the overall program (and how you rack up points), not just having a clean (but easier program). Artistry does count, but Chan's skating skills are as smooth as chiffon and spandex as well. If it makes you feel any better, even if Adam came first, Canada still would have won the Gold, based on overall points.

But yeah, all the top guys are doing tons of quads. If you want to compete for top spot these days in mens singles, you need the quad.

In the meantime, Canada's first gold medal of the Games! Sweet!

And most especially, Virtue and Moir's gorgeous Moulin Rouge freeskate was perfection.
*interesting note - They actually modified one of their signature lifts (the one where Tessa flips up to straddle Scott's face) because it was deemed as 'too sexy' for the Olympics. I am a huge fan of that original lift, but the modified version does look great too.

Love the aesthetics of this lift too.

Lurker
0 likes
Canada is in second so for.... Norway is in first.

No wonder Trump wants Norwegians to immigrate to the US. A population of 5 million and they kick ass.

I'm looking forward to the women's hockey between Canada and the US. The the most evenly contested rivalry in the Olympics, with the US winning the last few world championships and Canada winning every Olympic gold since 2002.

I was hoping to see Canada drop a 20-0 on South Korea, but unfortunately they put US and Canada in the same group.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

PChiddy had two clean quad combos. Rippon was a lovely skater (and has a kickass back story so he'll be a fan fave for years), but he didn't attempt any quads. It comes down to technical difficulty of the overall program (and how you rack up points), not just having a clean (but easier program). Artistry does count, but Chan's skating skills are as smooth as chiffon and spandex as well. If it makes you feel any better, even if Adam came first, Canada still would have won the Gold, based on overall points.

But yeah, all the top guys are doing tons of quads. If you want to compete for top spot these days in mens singles, you need the quad.

In the meantime, Canada's first gold medal of the Games! Sweet!

You make an easy shot in bball and they give you 2 points. You miss a really hard shot you get nothing. Case closed. smile

Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

You make an easy shot in bball and they give you 2 points. You miss a really hard shot you get nothing. Case closed. smile

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Case appealed, won and victory celebration at my house.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Case appealed, won and victory celebration at my house.

Who is Wayne grtezky?

0 likes
Quote by sprite

Who is Wayne grtezky?

You're joking, right? He's famous as the father of model Paulina Gretzky.

(Well, and there's all those NHL scoring records and Stanley Cup rings and Olympic gold medals as manager of Team Canada and stuff but hey, that's ancient history)
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
The King of the Moguls is Gold! So happy for Mikael Kingsbury!

Saw this on twitter: When he was 9 years old, he stuck this on the ceiling over his bed, so he'd see it every time he went to sleep, and every time he woke up. Now it's reality.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Also, WTF with the women's slopestyle comp last night. The wind was nuts. There's no way they should have been on that course. In most pro comps, the competitors are consulted beforehand, but officials didn't bother here. Given that the course is only in use for two days of the entire Olympics, and we're still in the early days, it's awful that they didn't postpone this. Those women were getting thrown around out there and it made the course super dangerous and inconsistent for all.

Still - congrats to Jamie Anderson (USA), Laurie Blouin (Canada), and Enni Rukajaarvi (Finland) for surviving the day to get the medals. Laurie Blouin suffered a horrible fall in training last week where she had to be stretchered off to the hospital and still had a black eye - getting silver is awesome.

But yeah - they should have postponed the event for sure, so everyone had a decent shot at giving it their best.