last reply
21 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hello

I just found all the early versions to my stories and thought it was fascinating to see how much they changed. Here's the first paragraph of some recent ones, showing the first draft and the version I submitted. By showing you my mucky underbelly, will you show me yours? Thank you.

The Library is Closing Now
This was a time before cell phones and before the libraries closed.
Even then, he hadn’t been in the library for a long time. Years later, he’d try to remember why he’d gone that night and couldn’t remember. It must have been a council matter, or maybe one of his kids had left something there. But it had been nothing to do with books.

Final The article about the library shutting its doors appeared in that day’s newspaper. When Tom had read it – it was a short piece – he folded the paper and leaned back in his chair. After a minute he rose, shuffled to the sideboard and in an orderly way pulled out its drawers and placed them next to each other on the floor of his kitchen-diner.

This is how it Starts
This is how it starts.
With me – worse for wear I admit – and a desk sergeant.
He’s looking at me through the bars of an overnight cell, sometime in the early hours.
‘What’s a slip of a thing like you doing here,’ the desk sergeant says.
Landlord had locked me out and I’d drink and I’d no money for food.

Final It starts like this.
Worse for wear again, but worser. Morning – or light enough to make out shapes at any rate.
But silent, until a slap of metal on metal. An eye appears at a tiny, blinding window.
‘How’d a slip of a thing like you end up here?’ says the eye.
‘Don't know,’ I says. On my life that’s true. My hand aches, the knuckles tender, but the rest’s a blur.
Don’t matter.
This ain’t how it starts.
0 likes
This is such a great topic especially for someone as inquisitive (ahem, nosy) as me. I wish I could contribute but I never save drafts. I just continually overwrite ('save' instead of 'save as'). Also, the start is quite often the last part I write. I think I'm going to start saving drafts though only because it'll be interesting to look back as you've done. smile
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
This is such a great topic especially for someone as inquisitive (ahem, nosy) as me. I wish I could contribute but I never save drafts. I just continually overwrite ('save' instead of 'save as'). Also, the start is quite often the last part I write. I think I'm going to start saving drafts though only because it'll be interesting to look back as you've done. smile

Me, too, Hannah. I'm a continuous saver, casually hitting CTRL-S from time to time just to make sure I don't lose any changes. I'd have to consciously make a second copy at times to have this kind of history. Occasionally, I'll make a major change and restart under a new title and file name but usually the old one gets deleted at some point because there's usually a good reason why I restarted.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I always switch filenames if I make a significant change in direction, and keep the old version, though I almost never go back to it.

Here's one of mine, where I sidestep the wrestling of the first version entirely. It ended up being a Shard called Morning Light. It's no longer on Lush (trying to sell it) (unsuccessfully), but it got an RR at the time.

First version:

She was crying.

He lay beside her, watching her cry, wondering what to say, what to do. He mentally rehearsed several things to say in response—What’s wrong? Why are you sad? Do you want to talk about it?—but none of them seemed appropriate.

He listened.

Eventually he closed his eyes, still listening.

Final version
:

She was sad.

It doesn’t matter why. Lots of things make people sad. Life is sad, sometimes.

She awoke at five a.m., hours before she usually did. She could not go back to sleep, and did not try very hard. She called into the office and left a message telling them she was taking the day off.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Final version
:

She was sad.

It doesn’t matter why. Lots of things make people sad. Life is sad, sometimes.

She awoke at five a.m., hours before she usually did. She could not go back to sleep, and did not try very hard. She called into the office and left a message telling them she was taking the day off.

Well I think the second version is much more polished – but it was interesting how you went from 'crying' to 'sad'; and because I can't see what the rest of the story is about I wonder why you switched them, and once you had, did you ever consider dropping those first two sentences? I mean, why did you choose not start the story at: 'She woke at 5am…' I really like that sentence and the two that follow: they make it clear to me she was sad.

I can say this because I've never read the story and so I can claim ignorance when you tell me the reason.

PS: Thanks for not making me feel a total thread loser.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by fuzzyblue

Well I think the second version is much more polished – but it was interesting how you went from 'crying' to 'sad'; and because I can't see what the rest of the story is about I wonder why you switched them, and once you had, did you ever consider dropping those first two sentences? I mean, why did you choose not start the story at: 'She woke at 5am…' I really like that sentence and the two that follow: they make it clear to me she was sad.

I can say this because I've never read the story and so I can claim ignorance when you tell me the reason.

PS: Thanks for not making me feel a total thread loser.

Yeah, the final story isn't on here because I pulled it off to try to sell it (thus far unsuccessfully).

What I was trying to do was avoid ALL the backstory, because the idea doing all that writing just to establish she was sad exhausted me. So I figured, hey, just say she's sad. Don't even explain why, because it is not integral. Just, she's sad, it isn't important why, don't invade her (fictional) privacy. It seemed like an elegant solution.

I know it breaks the "show, don't tell" rule, but rules are made to be broken.

You are right, though, you could just lop off those first two sentences entirely. Even more elegant than my initial solution. smile
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Hello.

I just thought I'd revive this thread because I like it when people discuss writing around here. So I'm going to pretend that I know something about writing for a bit. I can't use the excuse that I don't save different versions, since I do that all the time, just in case there's something worth salvaging from the old versions (even though I seldom even look at them). I do it at work too... should probably delete some of the 72 versions of one spreadsheet sometime...

Having actually dug into a few old stories, I'm a bit surprised at how little the beginnings change, but I still wonder about this one - https://www.lushstories.com/stories/spanking/fancy-dress-or-undressed.aspx . I won't put the date of the first version - suffice to say, it was a long, long time ago.

First
"Well, there's a fantasy that I didn't know that I had."

I shocked myself a bit when I said it out loud. Just for a moment, I hoped that Sarah hadn't heard, but she turned and approached me. I expected to be slapped in response. I certainly didn't expect what the night would hold.

Final
I shocked myself a bit when I said it out loud. Mostly I’d been attempting to amuse my friend Rob. He had a huge talent for, and interest in, inappropriate comments. But he had perhaps mastered the art of making such comments sotto voce, or at least quietly enough to not be heard by the person referred to.

I'm not quite sure that I improved it - I was trying to figure out how to get people to read past the backstory, but maybe it's just annoyingly contrived to hold back what the narrator said? And "Rob" is kind of a Chekhov gun that doesn't go off... he just disappears stage right and is never heard from again

And 'Fantasy I Didn't Know That I Had' might be a stronger title.

Hmm, I think I know why I don't look back at the old versions much - too much confusion!

Ah well, hopefully this will encourage a few more to show their 'mucky underbelly'...
0 likes
I'm like Hannah, I don't keep early drafts of stories. If I did, the first couple of paragraphs would unrecognisable as the same story 'cos I'm not good at starting off so I tend to write any old thing, just to get going. I then go back and totally rewrite the start or delete it and jump into the story further on. I don't save early versions of completed stories either. Once they get re-edited, I hit delete on the old version. Mostly, anyway.
0 likes
I e-mail my writing to myself, sometimes. Here's an early version of the beginning of Gutenberg.

"I usually loved my job. Rare book acquisitions. And I was darned good at it, too. When the New York Public Library thought it found a partial copy of William Blake's The Book of Urizen, I was the one they called for verification of authenticity. I was also the one who saved them over a million dollars on what would have been a clever fake." (September 12, 2017)

Which became....

"I’m good at my job. That’s what got me into trouble.

The New York State Library found a partial copy of William Blake's First Book of Urizen, and they called a team of experts to authenticate it. I was one of those experts and I was the only one to identify it as a clever fake. It turns out, I was right. That’s what made me famous in the world of rare book antiquities." (September 16, 2017)

I decided that the first version didn't really have a hook....
0 likes
Like H., I overwrite rather than save various drafts, so I've nothing to share. I do have great admiration for authors who actually take the time to lay out an outline and save drafts; my default to Flash Erotica is more due to lack of time than to any great gift or preference for writing Flash Erotica.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
I also tend to just save periodically and have only one final version, but this one I started over 2 or 3 times and did have one original version saved. Looking back for the purpose of posting something here, I was surprised how much I changed it. Hadn't ever really thought about it, I guess. From 'Roped Into It'.

Originally: We'd butted heads from the moment we'd been introduced, our personalities too different to do otherwise. I felt she was going through life with a huge stick up her ass, and I'm quite sure that she was convinced that I was an ass, or worse.

The only thing we had in common was a strong and mutual dislike for each other.

~~~~~~~

Final Edit: She had a stick up her ass the size of a Giant Sequoia; that had been my first impression, at least, and now that I’d known her for several months there was nothing she’d said or done that had changed my opinion.

It had been a quick and mutual dislike from the start, one of those personality clashes that happen sometimes. To use a Gumpian analogy, we were definitely not like peas and carrots....

~~~~~~~

I'm not sure how much that improved it, but I liked it better.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
This is a great thread. I’m going to look today and see if I can pull something to contribute. Editing is heart-wrenching for me but rewarding in the end.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
I have dominated this thread - holy jamolies - for over a year now. But I can’t help myself. I promise I won't do it again, but this final time, I wanted to explain the first paragraph of Beating the Skin, which came second in the ‘Winter Adventure’ competition. I hope what I'm going to put here encourages others who struggle with words or think they’ll never do well in competitions. I know lots of writers like that. I wanted to share how I came up with the opening of the story and over two months improved it. I’m not saying it was great by the end, but wanted you to see how rotten it was to begin with; show you how no matter how raw your story in its first draft, it will get better. The only tools you need are low cunning (to steal without shame) and a willingness to rewrite until you find your voice. Everyone has that in them. Serendipity takes care of the rest.

Anyway, the first sentences of Beating the Skin were written on 31 October, before the competition it was eventually to be entered into was announced. Here’s what I wrote:

There are some men who attract women and some who don’t. Simon, now in his thirties, was not bad looking. He was a butcher …

Isn't that the worst start to a story you've read? A lot of my stories begin that badly. The only thing I have to remember is not to click the Publish button yet. It’s just a start. From here, I’ll tack bits on and sometimes the story takes off. In this case, that evening I was looking at a Google Street View of the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris (raise a glass to my social life). The front of the store looked fabulous. I zoomed into some writing by the door to read the epigram (‘people call me the Don Quixote … because my head is so far up in the clouds’). I wanted to know more about the character on that sign. So I kidnapped him for my story. Now my protagonist had a name and the hint of a personality.

They called him Stretch, not on account of him being tall, because he wasn’t. It was because, his friends said, his head was always in the clouds.
Stretch still had the wiry hair of his youth, but his complexion had finally settled. He was not bad looking…

I liked it better, but I didn’t have much idea about where the story would go. I’d only written a couple of hundred words and story would probably have been abandoned, until two weeks after the competition was announced (Google Docs tells me all this) when I came back to it, wondering how my character would make a journey as the competition suggested? And what if it was started on a Scottish island (and all the backstory implicit there); what if he had to find someone using a map? Why had she left? Once you get the start of these questions they tend to bubble up into answers that invite more questions, such as if my story was to be set on a Gaelic-speaking island, what would ‘Stretch’ be called? I looked up the Gaelic for ‘stretch’. It was ‘Sìneadh’.

That dictionary check changed everything, including the character’s sex. I had my voice. I knew who Sìneadh was, how she'd speak English in that sort of formal, gentle way infused by Gaelic's lack of indefinite articles. I knew her accent; even now it's in my head. I wrote the whole story in that voice and the first paragraph I wrote on 15 November didn’t change much from then on:

Everyone called her Sìneadh, though it was not the name she was born with. Everyone on the island called her that. In the Gaelic Sìneadh means to stretch, and they called her Sìneadh because she was tall. And also because her mind was always stretching somewhere up there in the clouds.

Now she'd come alive, the rest of the story was easy to write. I knew how she'd react, what she'd say and how she'd change. And, at last, how my story might end. The only thing I had to be careful of was getting carried away with her, which I did a bit. For example, I wrote a rhyme to start the story, sung by two other characters, Donald and Angus, ‘until Donald’s wife swung open a window and told them to shut the fuck up about Sìneadh Macleod.’

– Sìneadh Macleod
has the mind that flies with geese
the ears that hear seals
the tongue that talks to sheep
the hand that writes verses of longing in the sand
and an arse that enchants all men –

Though I liked the rhyme enough, I could see that it was background, complicating the story. I ended up cutting scenes like this. I don't miss them.

I’ve only talked about the 59 words of my first paragraph. You should see the rest. But anyway, I hope it’s clear how hard I found it to write. I kept going to scratch the scab on the version before. This is embarrassing to admit: I wrote 94 drafts of this story by the end of November, and 212 by the time I submitted the final version. That's 212 times I went into Google Drive and changed something, big or small. In my final edit on 29 December at 6:21 am, Google tells me I made 157 last-minute changes. It’s no wonder I haven’t looked at it since.

I'm not saying it will take everyone that long. I fiddle more than I need to. It's more to make the point that it doesn't just flow; it's all rewriting and finding odd things and putting them in and accepting that things can just change suddently. I hope this encourages you. Just keep going, keep writing it. The story emerges.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
You're breaking my heart here, fuzzy.

Now I understand how you have established yourself as such an incredibly compelling author. I do fear I will never have your fortitude.

Drat!

Anyway, for all our sakes please continue being so incredibly hard working.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by fuzzyblue
I have dominated this thread - holy jamolies - for over a year now. But I can’t help myself. I promise I won't do it again, but this final time, I wanted to explain the first paragraph of Beating the Skin, which came second in the ‘Winter Adventure’ competition. I hope what I'm going to put here encourages others who struggle with words or think they’ll never do well in competitions. I know lots of writers like that. I wanted to share how I came up with the opening of the story and over two months improved it. I’m not saying it was great by the end, but wanted you to see how rotten it was to begin with; show you how no matter how raw your story in its first draft, it will get better. The only tools you need are low cunning (to steal without shame) and a willingness to rewrite until you find your voice. Everyone has that in them. Serendipity takes care of the rest.

Anyway, the first sentences of Beating the Skin were written on 31 October, before the competition it was eventually to be entered into was announced. Here’s what I wrote:

Isn't that the worst start to a story you've read? A lot of my stories begin that badly. The only thing I have to remember is not to click the Publish button yet. It’s just a start. From here, I’ll tack bits on and sometimes the story takes off. In this case, that evening I was looking at a Google Street View of the Shakespeare & Co bookshop in Paris (raise a glass to my social life). The front of the store looked fabulous. I zoomed into some writing by the door to read the epigram (‘people call me the Don Quixote … because my head is so far up in the clouds’). I wanted to know more about the character on that sign. So I kidnapped him for my story. Now my protagonist had a name and the hint of a personality.

I liked it better, but I didn’t have much idea about where the story would go. I’d only written a couple of hundred words and story would probably have been abandoned, until two weeks after the competition was announced (Google Docs tells me all this) when I came back to it, wondering how my character would make a journey as the competition suggested? And what if it was started on a Scottish island (and all the backstory implicit there); what if he had to find someone using a map? Why had she left? Once you get the start of these questions they tend to bubble up into answers that invite more questions, such as if my story was to be set on a Gaelic-speaking island, what would ‘Stretch’ be called? I looked up the Gaelic for ‘stretch’. It was ‘Sìneadh’.

That dictionary check changed everything, including the character’s sex. I had my voice. I knew who Sìneadh was, how she'd speak English in that sort of formal, gentle way infused by Gaelic's lack of indefinite articles. I knew her accent; even now it's in my head. I wrote the whole story in that voice and the first paragraph I wrote on 15 November didn’t change much from then on:

Now she'd come alive, the rest of the story was easy to write. I knew how she'd react, what she'd say and how she'd change. And, at last, how my story might end. The only thing I had to be careful of was getting carried away with her, which I did a bit. For example, I wrote a rhyme to start the story, sung by two other characters, Donald and Angus, ‘until Donald’s wife swung open a window and told them to shut the fuck up about Sìneadh Macleod.’

Though I liked the rhyme enough, I could see that it was background, complicating the story. I ended up cutting scenes like this. I don't miss them.

I’ve only talked about the 59 words of my first paragraph. You should see the rest. But anyway, I hope it’s clear how hard I found it to write. I kept going to scratch the scab on the version before. This is embarrassing to admit: I wrote 94 drafts of this story by the end of November, and 212 by the time I submitted the final version. That's 212 times I went into Google Drive and changed something, big or small. In my final edit on 29 December at 6:21 am, Google tells me I made 157 last-minute changes. It’s no wonder I haven’t looked at it since.

I'm not saying it will take everyone that long. I fiddle more than I need to. It's more to make the point that it doesn't just flow; it's all rewriting and finding odd things and putting them in and accepting that things can just change suddently. I hope this encourages you. Just keep going, keep writing it. The story emerges.

This is wonderful. Proof of the tenacity (and occasional wool-gathering) it takes to produce a great piece of writing. I really enjoyed this peek into your writing process.
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Oooh, I missed this thread, sorry. I'll play.

I'm a serial versioner + saver. If I know I'm making significant edits I'll save a new version, or sometimes v1 is just the first 1-2K words and then I save a new version in case the disk craps out and loses what I've written. Backup backup backup.

Either way, old versions of all my stuff are always available, even though I rarely open them again unless I want to pull a line forward that I thought wouldn't work but ends up fitting in a later context.

Like PhilU, I'm surprised in retrospect by how little the beginnings change from v1 to final draft. Sometimes it's the odd word for atmosphere or I'll shuffle sentences around for impact. There have been pieces that I start in the middle and work out, but I think a vast number of my stories start from a spark of a first line or setup so it generally stays.

Here's one that I did consciously alter slightly for what became Timestones:

First Draft

I've heard all the taunts before, but they still hurt, chipping away at what little self-confidence remains. As if I don't know I'm different from all the other kids. Black jeans. Trench coat. Eyeliner. Trivium T-shirt over Bieber or Taylor Swift. Docs, not Converse.

Final Draft

I don't need reminding I'm different from the other kids, but they do it anyway, eroding my self-confidence like waves pounding the headland. Sure I wear black jeans, trench coat and eyeliner. Docs, not Converse. Trivium on my playlist over Bieber or Swift. But so what?

Once I'd got to the end of the writing process and his character had this hapless romantic streak, I thought the simile just worked better and was less on-the-nose than the first version. Also, the more conversational style lent a little atmosphere to his inner voice that had developed as the story unfolded, so I altered the beginning to match.

The other piece that changed a fair bit was Thirteen Steps from Heaven or Hell. The story nearly - very nearly - never made it to publication because I was so frustrated with how the payoff didn't match the setup after eight fucking months of rewrites and edits.

Glad I persevered as it's my most highly decorated piece of work to date. And it was pretty much all down to changing the intro. I lost count of the number of times I reworked the entire first four paragraphs before it clicked. It's up there with fuzzy's numbers in the low hundreds.

Here's the jumbled first draft which is embarrassing in its inpetitude to convey anything:

The rain tore from the sky, fat droplets hammering the driveway as I knocked on my neighbour's front door. Blue, like those short, summer dresses she favours. Such details were hard not to miss, especially when she bent over to coochie-coo her baby girl in the pram. Last time she did that was a couple of days ago while I was washing the alloys on my Audi, crouched with the hose. She wore cute panties. White. Tanga style, partway between a bikini and thong. When she straightened to head for the park, she threw a glance over her shoulder and I quickly averted my gaze. I think she knew.

And here's the final draft, lengthened and embellished to set up the tension of later teases, a more movie-esque quality to it overall:

The rain tore from the sky, fat droplets hammering the driveway and bouncing almost to my knees as I rapped on my neighbour's front door. Royal blue, I noted, like those short, summer dresses she favours. Like the polka dot number that barely reached her thighs the other day while I was crouched washing my car wheels.

The memory was as clear as the sky had been ten minutes before. She'd breezed past, all legs, hips and temptation, pushing the pram on her way to the park, barely acknowledging me. When she paused a little further on and bent to coochie-coo her baby girl, I nearly dropped the hose as the hem ascended to reveal cute white tanga panties. They hugged the upper part of her incredible behind, leaving half-moons of tender flesh visible beneath.

Time froze, for how long I couldn't say. Short enough to tease. Long enough for it to surely not be accidental. I knew I shouldn't stare but it was impossible to pass up the voyeuristic opportunity, firming desire immediately beginning to make its presence felt against the fabric of my shorts. She truly was something else. Magnetic.

The spell was only broken when the hose jet caught the Audi's wheel arch, deflecting spray all over me. I spluttered and corrected its angle, water dripping from my chin and the silver paintwork. When she straightened, she threw a glance over her shoulder and flashed a grin before continuing up the street. I think she knew.

A vastly different feel to it. And that seemingly simple change springboarded a flurry of edits on the day I submitted it, right up to pasting it into the Lush editor where I was still making minor tweaks to the odd word to improve the flow for the reader.

I sometimes hate being a perfectionist and my own worst critic, but occasionally lightning strikes and this is the result, and it makes me chuffed to bits to be a writer.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 101 stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 69 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 20 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Nerdzilla
0 likes
FIRST OF ALL *waving my arms around* Fuzzy is a badass. Second, a glimpse into her pre-publishing work?! .... I may have a mad crush. Don't tell anyone.

Ahem, ok. Business, this writing crap. When I begin a longer story (not a flash), I take it in portions. I'm a pantser, you see. Horribly so. But I at least try to know my characters and their motivations before I start typing. Then I tend to write it in a dingy old spiral notebook with a pen; typing just doesn't do it for me. When I'm done typing it up, I click out of it, leave it for awhile, and then start editing. Editing for show v tell, setting, talking heads dialogue, cutting unneeded words and just boring lines... all of it. I might throw some hints to the next part in, just to fuck with the reader, also. I do "save as" all the freaking time.

My comp entry ending:
He cupped her head, pulling her onto him. Back and forth, back and forth, gagging her and making her mouth drool. When he finally came, he pulled out. Smeared his dick on her mouth, her nose, and never broke eye contact with her.
“Beautiful,” he murmured.

The original ending:
Chris clutched her head, pulling her onto him. Back and forth, gagging her, making her drool, until his thick stalk jerked. He pulled out, hot cum streaming over her face, and smeared his dick on her mouth, her nose, her eyes.

Her husband touched her cheek. Looking up into his soft smile, something in Leah's heart bled open. She leaned into his palm, silently begging for his trust.

“My beautiful wife.”

Not saying it's as good as fuzzy's seemingly effortless work, just pitching in. smile
0 likes
I edit. A lot. But sometimes it pays to just write, polish briefly, then let the story go. All That Glitters was written quickly with far less editing than I'd normally do. I think it's the fastest I've ever completed a story but I was so busy at the time of writing it, editing had to be minimal. It worked out just fine.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I rarely save versions unless I'm doing a complete re-write, typically I just edit and re-save. I think an important point is how writers go back and improve their stories before submitting. Some stories write themselves, some are a bit of a fight. I find it interesting to go back and read my earlier submissions and see how I've improved. Got a long ways to go but writing should be an evolutionary process. Still have to get my tentacle story finished.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Fascinating insight into your craft, Fuzzy! What a privilege this thread is. smile

Like a few of the others, I don't tend to have proper earlier drafts. Way too professional for me! I just throw down a load of half baked ideas and randomly mispelt words and edit again and again and again until it starts to make sense. A bit.