2018 Academy Awards

last reply
20 replies
2.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It’s hard since I haven’t seen all the performances/movies but I did just watch The Shape of Water and I think it’ll probably lead in most categories but especially in Cinematography and Costume. I do think it’ll be a toss up between Call Me By Your Name and Three Billbords for Best Motion Picture. I will totally admit these are ignorant guesses since I haven’t seen everything but I’m going off of the last couple awards shows as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We, Hubbie and I, do not care at all about who is nominated, or wins.

Brandie
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Oryx
It’s hard since I haven’t seen all the performances/movies but I did just watch The Shape of Water and I think it’ll probably lead in most categories but especially in Cinematography and Costume. I do think it’ll be a toss up between Call Me By Your Name and Three Billbords for Best Motion Picture. I will totally admit these are ignorant guesses since I haven’t seen everything but I’m going off of the last couple awards shows as well.

I think your "ignorant guesses" are pretty much on the nose. You are absolutely correct that the early awards generally predict the Oscars as well. I think that the difference this year is that things that happened at or around the Golden Globes have directly impacted the Oscar noms.

I think that Three Billboards should win. But I actually think that "Call Me By Your Name" will win. It's just such Oscar bait.

Shape of Water is very very good. And quite original (which is rare in Hollywood these days). The most impressive thing about this film is that it was made for 20 million dollars. Considering the technical proficiency of the movie and the outcome, that in itself should garner an award.

Compare that to "Valerian and the Thousand Planets" which cost 200 million.

That being said, the movie lacks sufficient character arcs and aside from Sally Hawkins (who I think should win best actress) I think it will and should lose to Dunkirk in the technical categories, which I believe is a technical masterpiece, even though as a complete story it surely falls short.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I think your "ignorant guesses" are pretty much on the nose. You are absolutely correct that the early awards generally predict the Oscars as well. I think that the difference this year is that things that happened at or around the Golden Globes have directly impacted the Oscar noms.

I think that Three Billboards should win. But I actually think that "Call Me By Your Name" will win. It's just such Oscar bait.

Shape of Water is very very good. And quite original (which is rare in Hollywood these days). The most impressive thing about this film is that it was made for 20 million dollars. Considering the technical proficiency of the movie and the outcome, that in itself should garner an award.

Compare that to "Valerian and the Thousand Planets" which cost 200 million.

That being said, the movie lacks sufficient character arcs and aside from Sally Hawkins (who I think should win best actress) I think it will and should lose to Dunkirk in the technical categories, which I believe is a technical masterpiece, even though as a complete story it surely falls short.

I haven’t seen Dunkirk but I agree with you about Shape Of Water. Visually it’s stunning and crafted to reflect the ethereal, broken fairy tale that it is. I’d label it a literary thriller probably if it were a novel but just like literary thrillers can do sometimes, this relied too heavily on symbolism. I also tend to read into things too much lol. I don’t necessarily need to be force fed the answers but I just found it lacking. It is shocking their budget was so small and how resourceful they were with it. I do love Michael Shannon. Just watched him in Nocturnal Animals.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just kidding. They’ve made it into a Novel apparently. It comes out this year.
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
And no mentions for Blade Runner 2049... Possibly the best movie of our generation. Just watched it tonight. Blown away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-review-spectacular-profound-blockbuster-time/ (no spoilers)

It did get some technical noms but no big ones. Kind of sad.

The other one I'm seeing a lot of surprise and rage about is the complete shutout of Wonder Woman. Admittedly, superhero movies that don't involve men dressed as nocturnal mammals don't usually get much Oscar attention outside of technical categories, but the outpouring of critical and fan love for the movie should have earned a few noms at least. I have seen at least person suggesting Gal Gadot's support for her homeland (she's an Israeli Jew who served her mandatory time in the military and isn't shy about it) might have hurt them in Hollywood but I'm not sure I see much evidence of that. I think it's more business as usual for the Academy. It's a superhero movie, not exactly Oscar-bait to start with, and, sad to say in the age of #metoo, was a very female movie with strong women in charge both in front of and behind the camera.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I think both Logan and Bladerunner got snubbed from several categories. Each year the academies are relatively predictable and conservative outside of the rarities like Return of the King, Get Out, and Ladybird.

Often times, it’s the pretentious, socially cognizant to a fault movies that why all the big performance nods.

Call me biased, but I think Patrick Stewart and Jackman gave two of the best performances of the year.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
I think both Logan and Bladerunner got snubbed from several categories. Each year the academies are relatively predictable and conservative outside of the rarities like Return of the King, Get Out, and Ladybird.

Often times, it’s the pretentious, socially cognizant to a fault movies that why all the big performance nods.

Call me biased, but I think Patrick Stewart and Jackman gave two of the best performances of the year.

I agree. But I think that Logan getting a nomination for best adapted screenplay is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately there is still too many dumb old fucks in Hollywood that simply write off "super hero" movies as being stuff for kids.

Unfortunately, FOX studios and Hugh Jackman decided to put their marketing and promotional power behind "The Greatest Showman" instead.

I thought that James MacAvoy deserved a Best Actor nod for Split. But the fact that the movie came out so early in the year indicates how little confidence the studio had in his award potential.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
And no mentions for Blade Runner 2049... Possibly the best movie of our generation. Just watched it tonight. Blown away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/blade-runner-2049-review-spectacular-profound-blockbuster-time/ (no spoilers)

Blade Runner 2049 got 5 nominations.

Cinematography.
Sound editing.
Sound mixing.
Visual effects.
Production design.

Not the sexy ones that most of the general public cares about, but credit was given where due.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm a little disappointed that "The Florida Project" wasn't nominated for best picture.

And no, for all those concerned, "The Florida Project" is not the much touted all-male remake of "Two Girls One Cup" starring Seax and MrNudiepants....

It's a very realistic film by Sean Baker that garnered many awards this season for screenwriting, acting as well as an amazing debut by a 7 year old actress named Brooklyn Prince. (Helicopter mom alert!)

Willem Dafoe is nominated for best supporting actor, but he wont win. Sam Rockwell has that locked up.

The story follows a single mom and her daughter who live on the borders of homelessness just blocks away from DisneyWorld. Th whole think is see from the point of view or the children during one summer. The mother is a part time hooker and drug user who fucks guys for money while her daughter is in the bathroom.

The kids are horrible and you just know that they will grow up to be horrible. But the mom is the worst mom I have ever seen.

This is not a feel good movie. But it's a feel something movie. Two films made me shed tears this year, and this was one of them.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Watched Lady Bird yesterday which was charming, well acted, sometimes harsh coming of age movie that felt very real. Saiorse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf should win for best chemistry in a dysfuntional relationship.

And 3 Billboards... fuck. so harsh. So real, so heartbreaking, a no rose colored lens look at an unwinnable situation and the lives of some incredibly flawed and even broken people all trying to cope with the awful shit that gets thrown at them the best they can. Woody Harrellson deserves the Oscar, as does Francis McDormund. several of the characters balance on the edge of unredeemably flawed and sympathetic - at the end, you're not quite sure which side they'll fall on. just like life, it doesn't wrap things up neatly. in fact, it's incredibly messing. oh, and there was more humor than expected, so it's not at all a grim movie, tho the subject matter is pretty darn brutal. see it. i think it deserves to win.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
The only one I have seen is Get Out. That's because it came out in February and that was long enough ago that it was shown on television. I will say that it was entertaining and innovative. I don't often watch "horror" movies but I'm glad I took a chance on this movie. Jordan Peele did a fine job.
0 likes
I personally couldn't careless who wins. I will be watching for the clothes and rants on stage.

Girls night w/ the guys.
Lurker
0 likes
I've seen all the movies nominated in the major categories. (Except "All The Money in The World".)

here are my final picks:

Best Picture: Three Billboards...
Best Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Best Male Actor: Gary Oldman (Should have been James Franco, but the sexual assault allegations killed that).
Best Female Actor: Francis McDormand
Best Male Supporting: Sam Rockwell
Best Female Supporting: Allison Janney
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out. But, I think Three Billboards deserves this. All the other noms are based on the writing that Martin McDonough did. Voters tend to try and spread the awards out though and most people want to give Get Out something.
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name (But should be The Disaster Artist)

Dunkirk should win the majority of the technical categories.

Coco will win best animated feature.
❤️️🌹Elusive Enigma 🌹❤️️
0 likes
Here are the winners...

Best Picture: Shape Of Water
Best Director: Guillermo del Toro
Best Male Actor: Gary Oldman
Best Female Actor: Frances McDormand
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name
Best Animated Feature: Coco
 Kissing your lips while straddling your lap. 
0 likes
Quote by IMPÜRETHOUGHTS

I personally couldn't careless who wins. I will be watching for the clothes and rants on stage.

Girls night w/ the guys.

We didn't watch it. We forgot all about it. I don't watch TV at all not even through the interwebs.

Glad to read Guillermo del Toro won two categories. YAY clappy hands
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
I've seen all the movies nominated in the major categories. (Except "All The Money in The World".)

here are my final picks:

Best Picture: Three Billboards...
Best Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Best Male Actor: Gary Oldman (Should have been James Franco, but the sexual assault allegations killed that).
Best Female Actor: Francis McDormand
Best Original Screenplay: Get Out. But, I think Three Billboards deserves this. All the other noms are based on the writing that Martin McDonough did. Voters tend to try and spread the awards out though and most people want to give Get Out something.
Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name (But should be The Disaster Artist)

Dunkirk should win the majority of the technical categories.

Coco will win best animated feature.

Ok, so I got one wrong.... sad
Lurker
0 likes
I actually just watched them...

Apparently the "theme" this year was diversity with an emphasis on immigration. When I was watching the performance of "This Is Me" all I could think of was "Wow...this is a Republican's nightmare."

For the most part everyone played it safe. (Including the best picture winner) They also added in an odd tribute to the military, which seemed kind of our of place.

Side note: The women who kept emphasizing the fact that Greta Gerwig was the only female director nominated... You are not doing her any favors. For all the people saying that Ladybird should have won something... please tell me which category? Maybe best original screenplay... but for anyone who knows the political climate in Hollywood, there was almost zero chance that Get Out wasn't going to win.

Kumail Nanjiani had the best comments both in his presentation and in the montage. It's nice to see someone address social issues but still maintain some semblance of pragmatism and edgy humor. I felt that he was the only one not pandering to to the current climate in a superficial manner.

How about Eliza Gonzalez pulling off the color yellow....

I had to google "Eliza Gonzalez" after that...

Also, Jennifer Garner looked great in a cobalt blue number.

ABC, which is the network that the Oscars were presented by... is a subsidiary of Disney. So there were numerous inclusions of Disney marketing throughout the broadcast. Kind of shameless.

Francis McDormand gave a great acceptance speech. Her Oscar was also stolen, and the thief has been charged with grand theft...
Lurker
0 likes
Now, while the Oscars played it safe with the usual PG rated fair...

The night before was the Independent Spirit Awards.

The Oscars keep wondering why the ratings have been dropping consistently for the last decade... And it's because they just aren't keeping up the current climate.

They keep on fluffing "Old Hollywood" while simultaneously trying to appease ABC advertisers.

The Independent Spirit Awards are for all movies that cost less than 20 million... so it's pretty much the same films that are nominated. The overall tone, however, is much more loose and much more like-able.

The ISAs take place the night before the Oscars and this past weekend, they were hosted by Nick Kroll and John Mulhaney.

Watch this clip of the opening dualogue (I was going to write monologue, but that term didn't seem correct for my OCD personality)

See the difference... This is what all awards shows should be like. Watch how they destroy Weinstein and those like him. They don't play it safe. #cumfilledpeach

The time of pandering to tampon and baby food companies has come to an end. And if the Academy wants to halt the trend of decreasing viewership then they need to embrace the fact that adult human beings are not PG-13.

You can get Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel or James Corden to host the next Oscars and turn in another mediocre performance that moderately appeases 100% of the audience... or you can get someone with some edge to actually provide some humor and greatly entertain 80% and piss off 20%.

I'll take the latter...