Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What do you think is the best movie of 2017?

last reply
22 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Another year has passed. The earth has gone around the sun. The Golden Globes are in the rear view mirror (as if anyone really even cares), and the Oscars are on the horizon.

What do you think was the best movie of the past year? Feel free to drop a top five or top ten if you wish.
Lurker
0 likes
For me and my movie going interests, Guardians of the Galaxy. Of course, of all the movies put out in 2017, I saw . . . 3 or 4.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
1. Beauty & the Beast
2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
3. Wonder Woman
4. Logan
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
5) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
4) Spiderman: Homecoming
3) Wonder Woman
2) Logan
1) Blade Runner 4049

And that number one is miles ahead of everything else on the list. It just floored me, especially given that I had serious doubts about it before I saw it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Last Jedi is the best IMO.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
I didn’t watch many, but Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 probably rates as one of my favourites of all time. It was fantastic.

In terms of Oscar wank films I haven’t watched any yet but being screener season for the pirates I’ll probably watch a couple in the lead up.
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
Lurker
0 likes
These probably won’t be best picture Oscar contenders, but my favs from 2017 are in order:

1. Atomic Blonde
2. Trainspotting 2
3. The Lego Batman Movie
4. Coco

Contrary to several above, I hated The Last Jedi, which I unaffectionately call, The Lost Yeti. Sadly, I’ve been a huge fan since I saw the original in the theatres in 1977. However, with a regurgitated, campy, predictable plot, and some seriously bad over-acting, it feels like they finally jumped the shark with this one. Not everyone agrees. ☺️
0 likes
Dunkirk
Bladerunner 2049

I haven't see Darkest Hour or Three Billboards yet, so maybe...?

Oh, and the end credit sequence from Paddington 2 smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dunkirk would be #2 for me. Maybe the key to winning WWII, the movie did an excellent job of portraying the tension.
Lurker
0 likes
These are my favorites of 2017.

10. The Shape of Water: Amazing that this movies was made for under 20 million dollars.

9. Mother: The most divisive movie of the year. Most negative critiques of this film (and there were a lot of them) were due to the fact that the audiences were expecting to see a horror movie, when really it was an analogy for the the Biblical book of Genesis.

8. Split: James MacAvoy deserves a best actor nom for this.

7. Logan: Best super hero movie ever made (if you can classify it as a superhero movie).

6. First They killed my father: Movie about the Cambodian Genocide. Available now on Netflix. Should win best foreign language Oscar (If the Academy didn't have a vendetta against Netflix.

5. The Disaster Artist: I waited for over a year for this film and was not disappointed.

4. It: Although Stephen King movies have a very spotty record, this was probably the best ever made. After I watched this, I actually watched it again right after. For all the people who insist that the 1990 miniseries was better need to check their heads and actually go back and watch it. Because I just did, and it is embarrassingly bad.

3. Dunkirk: Although I was initially disappointed, upon second viewing the technical brilliance is undeniable. I fully expect this one to sweep the technical categories at the Oscars. The lack of actual characters keep this from being a total masterpiece.

2. The Florida Project: Definitely the most emotional film of the year. Probably not for everybody. If you like realism though, this is as as it gets. Probably the best acting performance by a child actor as well.

And the best movie of this year...

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

The perfect mix of darkness, drama and humor. It just won the Golden Globe for best picture and it should win the Oscar as well. The acting performances are great, but it's the writing that make this movie. Martin McDonough is the best at writing dialogue of any living screenwriter. If you like this film, check out "Seven Psychopaths" and "In Bruges" both are very underrated movies with excellent writing and dialogue.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My favorite films of the year were the second Kingsman and Logan Lucky.

As for the best film I saw from a critic's POV was The Disaster Artist.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by captainkirkland

As for the best film I saw from a critic's POV was The Disaster Artist.

Did you watch "The Room" before watching The Disaster Artist?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I didn’t get a chance to see many new movies this year but I will agree with someone above that Three Billboards was absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed IT and Mud Bound as welll.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Oryx
I didn’t get a chance to see many new movies this year but I will agree with someone above that Three Billboards was absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed IT and Mud Bound as welll.

I thought Mudbound was quite good as well.

Unfortunately it's a Netflix movie and the entire movie industry is kind of really hating on Netflix right now. It narrowly missed being in my top ten but for anyone with access to Netflix, check it out. In my opinion it's the second best Netflix original movie this year behind "First They Killed My Father."
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I thought Mudbound was quite good as well.

Unfortunately it's a Netflix movie and the entire movie industry is kind of really hating on Netflix right now. It narrowly missed being in my top ten but for anyone with access to Netflix, check it out. In my opinion it's the second best Netflix original movie this year behind "First They Killed My Father."

it actually received three oscar nominations: mary j. blige for best supporting actress, rachel morrison for cinematography and best adapted screenplay. i was quite surprised, i was sure it would be snubbed for being a netflix film. my understanding is that netflix received eight nominations in total.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Looks like we did not go to see any of the movies in 2017. We have a lot better things to do.

Brandie
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

I absolutely LOVED "Atomic Blonde"! Definitely my 2017 #1. Second in line would have to be "Star Wars: The Last Jedi". I didn't see many movies this year either as someone mentioned above, but these two were great!
#anddontforgettoloveyourself
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

it actually received three oscar nominations: mary j. blige for best supporting actress, rachel morrison for cinematography and best adapted screenplay. i was quite surprised, i was sure it would be snubbed for being a netflix film. my understanding is that netflix received eight nominations in total.

Really? What were the other noms? I knew about the Blige and adapted screenplay noms. What were the other netflix ones?

Looking back, I guess it was pretty good cinematography. I think that the fact that it didn't play in theaters probably sways voters opinions. From a subjective point, its probably hard to compare Mary J Blige staring out over a barren Mississippi landscape to Christopher Nolan's depiction of Dunkirk.

I really hope that Netflix wins something. (I actually think that Beasts of No Name should have won best pic back in 2015). I think that theaters are dying and streaming is the way of the future.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Really? What were the other noms? I knew about the Blige and adapted screenplay noms. What were the other netflix ones?

i forgot to mention that blige was also nominated for best song. here are the other netflix nominees:

Quote by Vanity Fair article
Netflix’s other nominations include recognition for its short subject documentary Heroin(e), its foreign-language film from Hungary, On Body and Soul, and two long-form documentaries; Icarus, about the Russian doping scandal and Strong Island, which examines the judicial system in a very personal story.

here's the link to the article:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/netflix-oscars-2018-mudbound-nominations

i absolutely agree about the differences in cinematography between dunkirk and mudbound. however, both definitely contribute greatly to the overall impact of their respective movies.

i also am glad to see that the academy is slowly recognizing the change in times. soon theaters will go the way of the newspaper; it's better that they acknowledge it now.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

here's the link to the article:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/01/netflix-oscars-2018-mudbound-nominations

i absolutely agree about the differences in cinematography between dunkirk and mudbound. however, both definitely contribute greatly to the overall impact of their respective movies.

i also am glad to see that the academy is slowly recognizing the change in times. soon theaters will go the way of the newspaper; it's better that they acknowledge it now.

You are right.

We all forget about the short film and documentary categories....

Icarus is a really great documentary. I didn't know it was Netflix produced.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
1. Mother
2. Get Out
3. The Disaster Artist.
4. Split
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
1. Mother
2. Get Out
3. The Disaster Artist.
4. Split

I like your picks. It's refreshing to see "Mother" at the top,

Based on your picks I assume that you like originality.

You should watch Three Billboards. I think you'll like it.