What's your favorite Christmas song?

last reply
53 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
What's your favorite Christmas music or song? It can be something unique or unusual or just your favorite version of an old classic that you find especially beautiful or meaningful. This one, to me, is spectacular. It moves me to tears when I hear it for the first time every year.

0 likes
I think I'll just second yours. Adolphe Adam, the composer of what was originally called Cantique de Noel, gave us one of the most powerful religious songs of all time, Christmas or not.

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear is another favorite of mine.

Charming as fuck
0 likes
I'm not a fan of Christmas music in general, but though this was quite clever. A minor version of AIWFC.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Fairytale of New York (the official Christmas song of NYC, on the jukebox of every Irish bar in town)

Honorable mentions: Carol of the Bells, Sleigh Ride, O Come All Ye Faithful (heh), Baby It's Cold Outside

0 likes
Quote by Verbal
Fairytale of New York (the official Christmas song of NYC, on the jukebox of every Irish bar in town)

Honorable mentions: Carol of the Bells, Sleigh Ride, O Come All Ye Faithful (heh), Baby It's Cold Outside

All good songs. Love Fairytale and I'm not even a New Yorker. Haven't even been to New York in nearly 30 years (visited in 1991). Given what a dark song it is (by Christmas song standards), it is amazingly popular with abundant cover versions. Gianni Luminati and Sarah Blackwood from Canadian pop-rock band Walk Off the Earth did a cover a few years back.

Idk... Gryffindor?
0 likes
Snoopy's Christmas by The Royal Guardsmen (who are actually from my same podunk town)
https://youtu.be/Jlf---13Q0g

And Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives
https://youtu.be/DtVxFi9C0RA

Idk why, but I can never post videos here properly.
Lurker
0 likes
Not my favorite but come on, it makes you smile doesn't it?

Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
Well, this may count as unusual... or at least a bit wrong. But I like the song (less sure about the fan-made video).
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
And one more from a guy who's mostly a writer of comic songs, but this one is more serious, and really captures the spirit of a non-religious, summer holiday like Christmas is (for some of us).
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Another Favorite:
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by PhilU
And one more from a guy who's mostly a writer of comic songs, but this one is more serious, and really captures the spirit of a non-religious, summer holiday like Christmas is (for some of us).

I really like how he turns a silly song in a heartfelt love song for his daughter.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by Belthazor
Snoopy's Christmas by The Royal Guardsmen (who are actually from my same podunk town)
https://youtu.be/Jlf---13Q0g

And Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives
https://youtu.be/DtVxFi9C0RA

Idk why, but I can never post videos here properly.

Are you using the embed code, which Lush's Youtube embedder requires? That's the one I usually mess up on because the other board I'm on regularly just uses the share address.
Site administrator
0 likes
The original version (this) with Aled Jones when he was young still has me all smiles. smile

Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by Jen
I'm not a fan of Christmas music in general, but though this was quite clever. A minor version of AIWFC.

That was pretty good - unexpected, where they took it, but talented singers. Enjoying the various choices here, quite a variety so far and some gorgeous music. Here's a favorite version of AIWFC of my own, kind of the other end of the spectrum from my original post. Love the song, lyrics, and singer's voice, but the video is a bit odd. I think the guy with the hair is the eponymous Vince Vance of the group performing this version. Even Kenny G. laughs at Vince's hair...

Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by Tiffiesta
Not my favorite but come on, it makes you smile doesn't it?

It does at that! And now I'm visualizing the Speech Impediment Quartet, featuring Porky, Elmer Fudd, TweetyBird, and Sylvester the Cat. There's a Christmas album in the making, right there.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Dirge : Death in Vegas
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I Wonder As I Wander, by John Jacob Niles. It is not well known, but the melody and lyrics are hauntingly beautiful.
Lurker
0 likes
Santa Claus is coming to town - Bruce Springsteen
Idk... Gryffindor?
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Are you using the embed code, which Lush's Youtube embedder requires? That's the one I usually mess up on because the other board I'm on regularly just uses the share address.

The share code, I guess, but Idk how to find the embed code. Maybe it's because I do most of my stuff from my iPad and so it's the YouTube app rather than the website?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Silent Night is one of my favorite songs at Xmas
Lurker
0 likes
All I Want For Christmas Is You ~ Mariah Carey
0 likes
Quote by Belthazor

The share code, I guess, but Idk how to find the embed code. Maybe it's because I do most of my stuff from my iPad and so it's the YouTube app rather than the website?

Click 'Share' > 'Embed'.

0 likes
dp

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

what a great idea for a thread! really made me think about non-traditional christmas songs i like and introduced some new ones. this one has bittersweet sentiments. i find myself listening to it the first christmas after losing someone. i always tear up and am grateful for the time i did get to spend with them.

Say. Her. Name.