Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

writing a story with popular themes and literature.

last reply
8 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
English Gentleman
0 likes
i would like to write a story based loosely of Greek mythology. it will have a few names of Greek gods that are in literature. is this allowed?
0 likes
I believe the answer is yes but you should probably wait for a current mod to chime in. It's only characters from actual literature, esp. modern, copyrighted ones, that are barred. Mythological figures are cultural, rather than literary figures, so I don't think they would be counted. For instance, you could write a story about the Norse god Thor but not about the Marvel superhero.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Similar question, mods. I almost used Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Would that have been allowed? What about references to him even when he is not the main character?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by SeanR83
i would like to write a story based loosely of Greek mythology. it will have a few names of Greek gods that are in literature. is this allowed?

Yes.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
Similar question, mods. I almost used Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Would that have been allowed? What about references to him even when he is not the main character?

References are fine. Having him put his joystick up some young ladies bum is not.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

References are fine. Having him put his joystick up some young ladies bum is not.

Could he have been a character in it? Even without the joystick action?

It turned out for the best, anyway. Making Nemo gay, black and a woman (which was basically all I did) worked out just fine.

The harpooner in chapter 2 of Isle of Thorns was named Queequeg for awhile, but now it's Quinn. He's half Queequeg, half Quint from Jaws. I'm not so much writing as stealing from a bunch of different sources. smile
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Could he have been a character in it? Even without the joystick action?

It turned out for the best, anyway. Making Nemo gay, black and a woman (which was basically all I did) worked out just fine.

The harpooner in chapter 2 of Isle of Thorns was named Queequeg for awhile, but now it's Quinn. He's half Queequeg, half Quint from Jaws. I'm not so much writing as stealing from a bunch of different sources. smile

I have seen that referred to as "filing off the serial numbers". So many popular characters are just archetypes anyhow, you can easily write a character who fills the same role without actually using that character. For instance, Arnie's Terminator, Luke Skywalker, and Harry Potter (assuming it's HP in the later stories where he's over 16) can all be done without crossing the copyright line. The first is really just a powerful killer robot, Luke is the classic peasant/worker turned hero, and students of magic becoming great wizards does predate Rowling however much her fans might find it hard to believe. The trick is to not be too obvious about it.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

I have seen that referred to as "filing off the serial numbers".

The trick is to not be too obvious about it.

I am being VERY obvious about it, and right now am stealing the scene from 20,000 Under the Sea where the Nautilus is attacked by a giant squid.
I'm not pretending I'm any good at the Steampunk genre, I'm just trying to have fun with how many references I can pile up to weird crap I like.

Harryhausen-ish stop-motion dinosaurs will show up in chapter 4. smile
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Harryhausen-ish stop-motion dinosaurs will show up in chapter 4. smile

I'm a huge fan of Harryhausen and his mentor Willis O'Brien, who did the silent version of Conan Doyle's The Lost World (the novel is a must read if you're doing steampunk dinos, BTW, and if you can find the movie, watch it) and the original King Kong.