Spoken word poetry

last reply
18 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Candyland Kitten
0 likes
I'm sure there are many slam poetry fans here and thought it would be fun to share favorites with others. They make me laugh and cry and think and in some cases have even changed my perception on thoughts I've long held dear.

This is one of the first poems that I'd heard way back when and is probably one of the most recognized. But, it still gives me chills every time I listen and I can't imagine a thread like this without giving it a tip of the hat.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i used to stutter. i have it under control now - most of the time. growing up there were outlets for doing poetry slam - spoken word. open mic where anyone could get up and say their piece. every once in a while i was able to put the fear aside and stand up in front of people... most of the poetry i write here is meant to be spoken out loud. i still go to the slams and catch some brilliant artist - 'kids' who write far better than most published adults. teenagers in which poetry smolders and burns, their voices like gasoline spewing out of their mouths, their words like sparks. some funny, some harsh, some heartbreaking, all courageous. thanks for this thread, Duchess.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

muthafucka i'm about to get RAW!

this is the very first slam poem that i ever heard. i was immediately drawn to it because it didn't fit the flowery light sounds that i had always associated with poetry. this showed me that poetry could tackle a myriad of emotions and what i had read was just the tip of the iceberg. been a fan ever since.

Say. Her. Name.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
one of the things about poetry is, when it's written, you don't get the voice - you don't get to hear that moment when it goes from being light and funny to dead serious. one of the joys of hearing the artist do it out loud.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Candyland Kitten
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i used to stutter. i have it under control now - most of the time. growing up there were outlets for doing poetry slam - spoken word. open mic where anyone could get up and say their piece. every once in a while i was able to put the fear aside and stand up in front of people... most of the poetry i write here is meant to be spoken out loud. i still go to the slams and catch some brilliant artist - 'kids' who write far better than most published adults. teenagers in which poetry smolders and burns, their voices like gasoline spewing out of their mouths, their words like sparks. some funny, some harsh, some heartbreaking, all courageous. thanks for this thread, Duchess.

Incredible story. It is amazing to hear the words and emotions come from people that most feel are too young to think deep thoughts. Thanks for sharing and for adding to the thread too.
Candyland Kitten
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

this is the very first slam poem that i ever heard. i was immediately drawn to it because it didn't fit the flowery light sounds that i had always associated with poetry. this showed me that poetry could tackle a myriad of emotions and what i had read was just the tip of the iceberg. been a fan ever since.

Raw is right! That was awesome! I hadn't heard that one before so posting this thread is already worth it. Feel free to share more when you like. smile
Candyland Kitten
0 likes
I'm pretty soft-spoken so hearing her echo so many of my same thoughts but in THIS way, just felt liberating. It's so, "I am woman, hear me roar."

Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
This makes me so happy!!! I only discovered spoken word / slam poetry about a year ago - can't believe it took so long and that it's not something I was able to be involved I growing up. I'll have to find some of my faves... Many of the ones I've adored are often on the side of feminist politics and not only do the power int he words astound me but the sheer talent - often from people so young. It's incredible. I''m pinning this thread in my browser. Bloody fantastic, thanks Sunny!
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

This was absolutely wonderful.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
"We are the granddaughters of the witches they forgot to burn."

(as a reference point, I'm a nearly qualified midwife here in Aus, hence I really liked this one)

Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
This one's about breastfeeding / nursing (whatever you would like to call it).

This was the first one I heard and it was part of a lecture in my studies. Britain have the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world.

Lurker
0 likes
I usually don't like it when spoken word is used by people with political/social agendas, but only when they are weak poets, seeking only applause for their dramatized viewpoints. However, spoken word can often be the most effective way of poetic expression and presentation. A great example of a political poem that I like is "I apologize for being black." The anger communicated in it is palpable, and really showcases how a poem, which on paper might not read as anything that special, when read, packs way more power.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

black is not our color - it's our core...

this poem perfectly encapsulates why i refer to myself as black and not african american. i love being black. i love being american. while i'll be forever joined to africa - my roots are here.

Say. Her. Name.