iCloud Drive

last reply
1 reply
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
I know there are a few Mac users here, least more than any I actually know otherwise so thought I'd drop my question here. Sadly I've owned my Mac for 5 years and I swear I'm still clueless about how to use it half the time

I've been without my Mac for over 12 months just due to not getting it repaired. I now have it back with another brand new HDD and am starting from scratch. In the process I've encountered the (probably no longer) new feature of the Desktop and Documents folders being integrated directly with iCloud Drive. I knew nothing about it and it's rather confused me but I've had a google and found some information etc.

Whilst the info I've skimmed discusses the fact that existing documents are maintained on the start up drive, I'm still trying to work out if this means that new documents are saved there also? I presume so, but further to that, given the start up desktop and documents folder have been so well hidden by Apple, if you are offline for whatever reason can you still access the files that save within the cloud drive? Apple is clearly directing users to access first and foremost by the iCloud Drive however I am concerned about issues with access.

I probably could have experimented but brain fried and thought there may be some users with some experience to share - whether positive or negative. At the moment I haven't put anything of my external backup back on MB because I'm a bit curious as to how it all works and not sure whether to leave these options turned on or just turn it off and function as per I recall.

Many thanks
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by sweetsinner
I know there are a few Mac users here, least more than any I actually know otherwise so thought I'd drop my question here. Sadly I've owned my Mac for 5 years and I swear I'm still clueless about how to use it half the time

I've been without my Mac for over 12 months just due to not getting it repaired. I now have it back with another brand new HDD and am starting from scratch. In the process I've encountered the (probably no longer) new feature of the Desktop and Documents folders being integrated directly with iCloud Drive. I knew nothing about it and it's rather confused me but I've had a google and found some information etc.

Whilst the info I've skimmed discusses the fact that existing documents are maintained on the start up drive, I'm still trying to work out if this means that new documents are saved there also? I presume so, but further to that, given the start up desktop and documents folder have been so well hidden by Apple, if you are offline for whatever reason can you still access the files that save within the cloud drive? Apple is clearly directing users to access first and foremost by the iCloud Drive however I am concerned about issues with access.

I probably could have experimented but brain fried and thought there may be some users with some experience to share - whether positive or negative. At the moment I haven't put anything of my external backup back on MB because I'm a bit curious as to how it all works and not sure whether to leave these options turned on or just turn it off and function as per I recall.

Many thanks

probably a bit late. have you figured it all out now?
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'