last reply
13 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anyone else have aging parents?

If the people that do.. are you finding evolving, idiosyncrasies, new quirks, stubbornness, inability to adopt new concepts, and even early onset dementia?

Those who have healthy and astute procreators, count your blessings now, as the rest of us are in for an interesting, scary, funny and painful next few years.

My mother was perfectly with it until she broke her patella two years ago, being almost 70 years old and confined indoors for 6 months, really took a toll on her physicality and her mental well-being.

In the next post or two later tonight or tomorrow I will give you some zany examples of what day to day life is like for me dealing with an aging parent..,

Would love to hear from anyone else dealing with anything similar, I’m sure there’s got to be some people here, like myself, just want to bang their heads against the wall.

I will edit for grammar and punctuation when I feel like it, if there are any mistakes please feel free to acknowledge them.

Peace
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
My parents are only 65 and 61, but I shepherded my grandmother through lung cancer treatment a few years ago, and that took a lot out of me! She was sharp as a tack right up to the end, thankfully. It killed me to watch what that horrid disease did to her body.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by Rockwaterundertone

In the next post or two later tonight or tomorrow I will give you some zany examples of what day to day life is like for me dealing with an aging parent..,

Peace

I think the fact that you're actually providing care and assistance for your mother, is an admirable quality. I know what you're going through. I know how maddening the accumulation of 'things' can be, as well.

Often times the best thing that we can do, is to try to find some humor in it all. Things do get zany and I won't chastise you for wanting to discuss the craziness of this 'event' you are undergoing. I dealt with it that way sometimes too. It's sad, frustrating and imposing to experience, but I also think it was good for me to do so. The aging person may behave like a young child before they finally find peace within their death.

My parents took care of me for many years. It was and is the least I can do to repay them for their sacrifices and for my life.

There are many older people who do not have children or family/friends to help them out.

We can all only hope that someone like you will be there for us at our ends.

Good on you.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Sophisticate
0 likes
I too have this experience. The role reversal is very difficult for both parent and child. You have to have a lot of patience and remember that your parents have given you love and care all of their lives.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I am taking care of my 85 year old Dad, as well as two teenage girls. It can be frustrating, and at times overwhelming. My Dad is slowly slipping into dementia, and in quite a bit of pain.

Despite the hardship, you are right, WellMade, they took care of us, and what goes around comes around, now it's our turn.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes

If the people that do.. are you finding evolving, idiosyncrasies, new quirks, stubbornness, inability to adopt new concepts, and even early onset dementia?

Those who have healthy and astute procreators, count your blessings now, as the rest of us are in for an interesting, scary, funny and painful next few years.

My mother was perfectly with it until she broke her patella two years ago, being almost 70 years old and confined indoors for 6 months, really took a toll on her physicality and her mental well-being.

Would love to hear from anyone else dealing with anything similar, I’m sure there’s got to be some people here, like myself, just want to bang their heads against the wall.

I will edit for grammar and punctuation when I feel like it, if there are any mistakes please feel free to acknowledge them.

Peace

That sounds a lot like my life right now. My parents are both 85 and while my Mom has some health concerns it's my dad's descent into dementia that is the hardest to watch. I am taking almost full-time care of them now. It mostly involves, for now, frequent visits to their house and providing meals, driving them places and helping with things around their house. They refuse to leave their four-story house at this time. I am trying to help them downsize but it does not go over well with my Dad. It's a slow ongoing process.

I am so frustrated, sad and tired some days and it is only going to get worse until it's inevitable end. But like you I feel it is the least I can do since they did the same for me and I was not an easy child to raise.

I have some stories myself. I may share some. The funniest is our twice a month trip to the commissary. It actually becomes ludicrous at times and I need a nap by the time I get home.

It does help to be able to laugh.

Thank you for starting this thread.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank you everyone for the great replies.. I havent had too much time to spend on the forums but that will change shortly.

Time needs to be taken to carefully articulate my response and decide what stories will be shared. It sure does feel good to have a thread where ideas and experiences can bounce off one another.

Again, thanks for your replies and your patience.
0 likes

Peace

My Dad had dementia for the last three or so years of his life (probably earlier, too, but that's when it was formally diagnosed). His third wife (my mother was the first but died in her fifties) took the brunt of it, to be honest. My brothers, who live closer than I do, did what they could to help her, including taking him to the family cottage to give her a break, but she was the one living with him. However, his growing forgetfulness and confusion was quite evident when I had to take him for appointments and that sort of thing. We ended up putting him in a home but he died shortly after being admitted (3 years ago this month).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here’s a perfect example: my mom lately has been fixated with my aunts fake tits.

My aunt had implants surgically implanted at the age of 55, with my Mom being about ten years older than her.

She has told me the story time after time and even showed my wife a picture of her before her fake tits,and after.

I really had no idea about this, but had been building inside of her for quite a while.

She told me this story maybe 5-6 times now:

My M//D went for dinner and my Aunt and Uncles house. It was very hot that day so the decided to eat out side. My aunt wore a super tight tank top even showing some side boob. She told me that my Aunt was looking for attention.
“We come in and sit down” she says”your aunt is showing off her boobs. Your Uncle couldn’t take his eyes off the the whole night, I almost went and wiped the drool off his face.”

“And for your father; he didn’t even look at them once. He was drooling about the fucking cheese tray! Yeah that’s right, cheese interests your father more that tits!’

There is no way that my Uncle was drooling over his wife’s tits she got 5 years ago. He plays the trumpet in an orchestra for fucks sake.

“I almost got up and left, I am so sick of these people and their ignorant quirks.”

That’s just one time.

Another time she called me to tell me that her neighbor was dropping junk on her front porch and I need to get there and tell him to quit. Got back to discover it was two fans, that my parents own and lent to the neighbours a few months past. To dry their basement from a flood in the spring.

Why would her thoughts go right to the neighbours dumping garbage? Why wouldn’t she open the door and ask him what was up?

An increased effort will be made totake her places, maybe for a day once a week. Do some activity, exercise, go see a movie, or even go out for lunch. It’s tough with a very busy schedule and young fam of my own. She may need external stimuli and being inside all the time starts to create a type of psychosis.

Love her to death but who knows what’s next.

They did raise us and most of them prolly did a damn good job. You start in diapers and end in diapers.

Everyones contribution to this thread, greatly appreciated.We are not alone in this so I’ll be here to listen as well as post.

Typing on a broken iPhone 7, so sometimes I miss grammatical errors.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
My mom is 73. She now blames me for all her woes. Everything that has gone wrong in her life is somehow my fault. She lost her house and for lack of a better term, ran away. She refused to tell me where she was going or where she was living for over a year and a half. Finally, she came by to see us. She was supposed to meet us for dinner, but was three hours later. We offered her a bed for the night (it was 10:00 pm before she showed up) only because we were afraid she'd fall asleep on the road. She's decided she likes my husband more than me becasue in her mind, I'm an alcoholic and a shitty mother. She blames my father for turning me against her (nothing could be further from the truth.) She's just pissed that I chose to have a relationship with my father before it's too late. I told her straight up that if she doesn't like it, she can remove herself from my life. Yet, I was good enough to be asked for money for a lawyer and later an apartment that she ended up not getting and God knows what she spend the money on. Money burns a hole in her pocket and she can't save $20 to save her life. Oh yeah, and she begged for gas money that we gave her, even though she assured me she had the financial resources to make the trip in the first place (yeah... me.)

My father is 74 and is a true Republican. Everything the GOP does is perfect including our current POTUS and everything the Democrats even touched is just a piece of shit. He hated Obama for a multitude of reasons, especially the fact that he was black. He constantly complains about how much in taxes he is forced to pay and moved out of "liberal California" because he hated the politics there. He's a proud member of the NRA and is convinced that the 2nd Amendment will one day be repealed. Thus, you'll pry his gun from his cold, dead hand. Yeah, kinda like Charlton Heston. Once he gets an idea in his head, it's there no matter what, even if it's completely wrong.

Ironically, politics is the only area my parents agree upon.

Dealing with their respective drama is stressful. My husband has the luxury of telling either of them off if he so chooses. Me, I just nod and smile.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I got word a couple of years ago that my Mom had pancreatic cancer so I moved to be closer and spend as much time with her as possible...she lasted the six months they gave her almost to the day.

It wasn't til I got here did I realize how fragile Dad had become. He's 85 and gets around well and is still self-sufficient and we still play golf once or twice a month but, yeah, I'm dealing with pretty much everything you mentioned.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My parents are in their mid 70s.

My mother still is active, however she has no life of her own so she likes to stick her nose into every member of the family's business and offer unwarranted advice. Or likes to run people's lives. I find when I am on the phone to her, I get frustrated because I only wanted to tell her maybe two things and she will just talk about other family members and nonsense that isn't worth listening to. I love her to bits but she is sometimes annoying. I am now the sound board for when my mother is stressed.

My father on the other hand, he isn't well. He likes it when my husband comes over and my dad tells him stories from his youth. Both of them go to the doctors a lot because of my father's health.

My in-laws are a few years younger then my parents and both are still spritely. Mother in law is like my mother, clearly has some past issues that have not resolved and both of them repeat their stories over and over. I sit and listen to them even though I have heard it many times.

What I find with the four of them is they are not confident in areas, they have to ask my husband or I advice on issues or ideas. I do worry about them because age is starting to show, it is really hard to stand and watch my mother second guess herself in situations. PS I have caught my parents drive past my house a lot of times, before I moved in my area, my parents rarely drove in that part of town. Now they drive by to check if I am home.

As the years tick by I know I don't have much time left with them. I do try and see them all at least once a week.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm dealing with this right now. Don't have time to go into it right now but will soon. Looking forward to what other people have to say.
Lurker
0 likes
I am an aging parent. Well, not really. Aging step-parent.