Login

Contemplation

last reply
10 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
You have just been notified that you are related to some famous person from history....

Do you:

1) Tell everyone you know because you are proud of your newfound heritage

2) Keep the information to yourself, because you don't want the attention that the new information would create
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I'm not related to anyone famous, but when I found out how my grandfather made his fortune, I was a little ill, not to mention morally compromised, as I have grown up enjoying the benefits of that wealth! I gravitate to my mother's side of the family because my father's side is nothing I can be proud of.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
depends on who it is. if it was someone like MLK i'd be all, yeah, that's right, i'm sooo cool. now, if it was Hitler...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I'd keep it to myself because the actions of my ancestors do not define me.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I'd probably tell people in some anecdotal manner. If that would not be possible, because of the relative's fame (say I'd be the grandson of Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia) or notoriety, I might keep that to myself.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'd certainly tell some people, even if that ancestor was a notorious bad-ass. Whatever any ancestor did does not define me as a person after all.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by patokl
I'd certainly tell some people, even if that ancestor was a notorious bad-ass. Whatever any ancestor did does not define me as a person after all.

It does not define you indeed. But it could mean the end of your privacy or reputation nonetheless.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by Becky4Texas

You have just been notified that you are related to some famous person from history....

Do you:

1) Tell everyone you know because you are proud of your newfound heritage

2) Keep the information to yourself, because you don't want the attention that the new information would create

Depends on who it is, but I'd probably keep it to myself and, at most, name drop at opportune times.
Lurker
0 likes
Since family history is my hobby, I've managed to uncover some famous people among my ancestors...all several hundred years ago. I just try to dig up the truth about them (the everyday facts) and ignore the hype that appears in most history books. Then I share my findings with family members who might be interested.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by noll

It does not define you indeed. But it could mean the end of your privacy or reputation nonetheless.

My privacy, why? First of all, I wouldn't shout it out to for everyone to hear, and even if I did, I would only be interesting if I personally knew the (in)famous ancestor well enough to tell stories about him or her. And how would my reputation depend on that of any ancestor? I like to believe I built my own reputation.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It would depend on who the famous person was but with my luck it would be a horse thief or something!