Cover Songs.

last reply
200 replies
15.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We all love music on Lush, that much is obvious but...
Do you prefer the original version or is there perhaps a cover that you think is as good as or better than the original?
If so, tell us here, preferably with a You Tube link so we can all enjoy it.
Also, do you agree or disagree with the choice above yours.

I will begin with:

She's not there - The Zombies/Santana

WooHoo!!!! 27,000 views! Could I dare to hope for a famous story...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/milf/the-runner.aspx
Constant Gardener
0 likes
I prefer the Santana version -

This is a 1978 cover of a 1969 Allman Brothers classic. This one blows the original out of the water.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
0 likes
Anyone who knows me that I am a complete Beatle-file. I love the Beatles; but....Aerosmith's version of ''Come Together" and Joe Cockers "A Little Help from My Friends" are as good as the originals. I can't say better than because that would not be true.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick
Anyone who knows me that I am a complete Beatle-file. I love the Beatles; but....Aerosmith's version of ''Come Together" and Joe Cockers "A Little Help from My Friends" are as good as the originals. I can't say better than because that would not be true.

curious if you've seen Across the Universe? and if not, you should. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes

Widely felt to be one of the saddest music videos of all time, and JC's version is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Song written and originally performed by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Tom O'Brien doing an old Randy Newman tune, Sail Away. It's about a slave-owner, talking to a slave, trying to convince him (and himself) how wonderful America is. An inexplicably sad song, and one of my very favorites.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There have been three great versions of this song. First, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Then, Marvin Gaye. Then, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
The original was B J Thomas. This one is so much more fun.

0 likes
Quote by sprite

curious if you've seen Across the Universe? and if not, you should. smile

Yes, and I really loved it :)

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
And another by the Cure

0 likes
I have recent discovered Choir! Choir! Choir!, a community choir based out of the backroom of a pub in Toronto. They record arrangements of pop songs done by one of the leaders and record them to post on Youtube! They are, as one might expect, rough around the edges but pack a ton of heart and soul into their singing.

In recent years, they've been picking up steam and have actually recorded with some major names. Patti Smith joined them for her classic "Because the Night", Rufus Wainwright for a performance of Cohen's "Hallelujah", and so on. Colin Hay of Men at Work sang solo on their recording of one of the band's songs.

One of my favorites of their repertoire, simply because I love the song, the song lends itself well to choral singing:

Do I prefer it to the original? Not really. t's a different, rather than better or worse take on the song.

I had kind of forgotten about Roxette in recent years but this song and Listen to Your Heart are now part of my mental soundtrack for the Bride/Groom stories (soon to get a proper series title, BTW).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This song has been covered by many people, and the original is good, however, I think the best covers of Sound of Silence, by Disturbed is the way to do any cover. Their version gives the song an entirely different feel from the original, and it's probably in the top 5 of my all time favorite songs.

https://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by purpledaze808
This song has been covered by many people, and the original is good, however, I think the best covers of Sound of Silence, by Disturbed is the way to do any cover. Their version gives the song an entirely different feel from the original, and it's probably in the top 5 of my all time favorite songs.

https://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4

I 100% Agree. They made the song their own. I love both versions for different reasons.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So far, I still prefer the original S&G 'sounds' version.
I love High Hopes by Pink Floyd/Dave Gilmour. However, I have now heard Nightwish's rendition and find it hard to decide which I prefer.
What do you think?

WooHoo!!!! 27,000 views! Could I dare to hope for a famous story...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/milf/the-runner.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've seen Nightwish three times and never saw them do that song. Have to say, I am loving their version of the song.

I'm picking I Still Believe, from the Lost Boys soundtrack, a song I first heard done by The Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdaaGlyu7EQ
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes

0 likes

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I have recent discovered Choir! Choir! Choir!, a community choir based out of the backroom of a pub in Toronto. They record arrangements of pop songs done by one of the leaders and record them to post on Youtube! They are, as one might expect, rough around the edges but pack a ton of heart and soul into their singing.

In recent years, they've been picking up steam and have actually recorded with some major names. Patti Smith joined them for her classic "Because the Night", Rufus Wainwright for a performance of Cohen's "Hallelujah", and so on. Colin Hay of Men at Work sang solo on their recording of one of the band's songs.

One of my favorites of their repertoire, simply because I love the song, the song lends itself well to choral singing:

Do I prefer it to the original? Not really. t's a different, rather than better or worse take on the song.

I had kind of forgotten about Roxette in recent years but this song and Listen to Your Heart are now part of my mental soundtrack for the Bride/Groom stories (soon to get a proper series title, BTW).

I thought their performance of David Bowie's Space Oddity after he passed away was very moving.

0 likes
Yep. And they've done good tributes for most of the recent star passings, too. A great cover of Freefalling for Petty, for example.
The Bruiser
0 likes
Not to many people realise that
love is all around- wet wet wet is a cover version of the troggs version

For the past few months I’ve been using Instagram and been using the site to post my photography . Here’s the link to my profile 

https://www.instagram.com/farmerroger1/

My recommended read

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/amongst-the-arabian-sands

here’s a link to my photography album in my media

https://www.lushstories.com/profile/farmerroger/media?album=2399646

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me, when I think of artists who cover others' songs and make them their own, there are two who blow everyone away. First, there is Joe Cocker.

Then, there is the champion of all cover artists IMO - Eva Cassidy. It is very rare for her cover of classic songs to not be my all-time favorite. RIP Eva.
0 likes
One of the most covered artists has to be Leonard Cohen. In fact, "Suzanne", one of his first songs, was a hit for Judy Collins before it was one for him. And K. D. Lang knocked Hallelujah so far out of the park, even Cohen himself started using her version as a baseline (and I heard her sing it again a week or two ago when the CBC broadcast the tribute to Leonard Cohen organized by his son in Montreal). Alas, he is no longer with us, but his songs will likely continue to live on as new artists discover and record them.