Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What is your favourite dish that impresses your guests every time you cook it?

last reply
34 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I'm hungry and short on ideas
Lurker
0 likes
Roast chicken stuffed with two whole lemons in the cavity. You have to pierce the lemons with a cocktail stick about 20 times so the juice flows out, put salt and pepper in the cavity, shove in the lemons and tie the legs. Put it in the oven at 180°C breast side down for 20 minutes, then turn it over for 40 minutes to an hour, depending on the weight of the bird. That's it. You don't even have to use any fat or anything, it is self-basting, and the lemon jiuce isn't strong, but cuts through the fatty taste chicken has sometimes. It always impresses people and is easy.
Matriarch
0 likes
I've done that before gypsymoth, I saw it on one of the Jamie Oliver shows. Works great doesn't it, the lemon flavour goes right through the meat.

Chicken sounds good, I feel like something super spicy, perhaps Indonesian style.
Lurker
0 likes
I am the queen of eggplant parm!
Matriarch
0 likes
Eggplant Parm? I'm guessing a moussaka kind of dish?

I've never been huge on eggplant, it's very watery, and all the soaking in salt water to remove the bitter taste is too much effort for my liking.

ChefK?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I've done that before gypsymoth, I saw it on one of the Jamie Oliver shows. Works great doesn't it, the lemon flavour goes right through the meat.

Chicken sounds good, I feel like something super spicy, perhaps Indonesian style.

Yup, that lemon chicken is delicious.

Can you get coconut milk or even better, coconut cream?

Chop some onions, start stewing them in a bit of olive oil til they brown, chop some fresh ginger, get some curry paste, not powder, (I get Thai curry paste, not Indian, I like it better) mix the curry paste and ginger, toss in some hot pepper flakes if you have them, some coriander seeds, then add that to the browning onions and stir it around. Add a bit of water or white wine if it starts to stick. Get your chicken pieces, brown them on all sides in a different pan, then add them to the mixture of onions and spices, add the coconut cream and/or coconut milk. Heat it, cover and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked; Actually, I did that the other night, and parboiled some diced potatoes beforehand, and then finished cooking them in with the chicken and spices. It was so good, oh yes, I had some fresh spinach that I chopped up and tossed in as well. Not only was that good, it made the best left-overs I have ever eaten. It was better the next night.

As for eggplant, if you have a cast iron grill or griddle, heat that up, put the eggplant on it and let it roast, turning it over regularly. The skin will get darker, and it will eventually collapse. Let it cool, cut it open and drain it. It gets a fabulous smoky flavour, and you can either mash the pulp so it is like a purée, and then add olive oil, garlic and lemon juice and salt to it for a dip, or chop the pulp and add it to some tomatoes for a meatless pasta sauce. You don't have to salt and drain it, and it isn't as bitter, plus it isn't cooked in oil. Eggplants are sponges, you can see the oil getting soaked in, and then it's too greasy.
Lurker
0 likes
Chicken Diablo is good.
onions, red,green and yellow bell peppers, julienne and saute in oil. Just a dab of oil. add chicken broth about a cup, med. can crushed tomatoes, med jar/bottle chili sauce, sherry to taste, crushed red pepperflakes, garlic powder, basil and black pepper. The spices I use about a teaspoon to a tablespoon depending on how much spice you like. I really don't measure at all I just add and keep tasting the sauce. Simmer this on low while you pouind boneless/skinless chicken breasts to an even thickness. Then dredge/dip in flour and fry in olive oil. Or if you want to go healthy skip the flour and broil or grill them. After they've cooked through if the wine glass isn't empty you can put them in the sauce to simmer. If the wine is gone and you're hungry, lay a bed of your favorite rice in the center of the plate and then add a half a chicken breast with some of the sauce over it.
I add a lot of the red pepper flakes as we like things spicy.
Now if I'm cooking to impress company, that's a different story.
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks for those ideas.

I'd like to try my hand at Indian cuisine, I've never mastered the dry / heavily spiced angle. I've been lazy in that regard, just going for the tandoori paste jar and mixing it in equal measures with yoghurt, then grilling the chicken.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love to cook and am a huge experimental cook - never want to make the same thing twice. And because of my allergies I have to be creative. I spend forever perfecting something then once that's done I move on. My recent fav is mexican lasagne made with turkey mince. Uses mexican spices and corn tortillas (instead of noodles). And I use sheeps cheese or no cheese at all.
Lurker
0 likes
It seems my Chinese stir fry ends up dry and spicy, unintentionally.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
takes way to long to do but a whole pig on a spit works to get the crowds round my place we do it about 4 times a year
save a horse ride a cowboy
Smiley Guru
0 likes
My Crawfish Etouffee is always a hit. Though it is not technically just Crawfish Etouffee as I add andouille sausage to it.

Even people who aren't fond of Cajun food like it pretty well.chSykChQwaqLUAst

I use the recipe here...

Lots of chopping and stirring, but it makes great leftovers too!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Playmale
My Crawfish Etouffee is always a hit. Though it is not technically just Crawfish Etouffee as I add andouille sausage to it.

I loved these directions: "Melt butter in pot, add flour and stir like hell."

Yeah! Stir like hell, that says it all for some recipes.

I'm not crazy about the andouille sausage here in France, since it's basically tripe sausage. Is what you use the same thing?
Lurker
0 likes
maceroni salad yum
Smiley Guru
0 likes
Quote by gypsymoth
I'm not crazy about the andouille sausage here in France, since it's basically tripe sausage. Is what you use the same thing?

Nope completely different. Here is the relevant quote from the gumbopages...

"Andouille. A spicy Louisiana smoked pork sausage. Not to be confused with the continental French "andouillette", which is a tripe sausage and is icky. Hot or mild smoked sausage of any brand can be substituted, but good andouille is a joy."
Lurker
0 likes
My family always love my stews that I cook. lean beef or lamb.
Fry off an onion and as much garlic as you like, with a gluten free stock cube, add some hot water from kettle and simmer the onions till there soft about 5 mins. then add the meat of choice, brown off. ( Make sure oven has been on for a bit so nice and hot) transfer onions and the meat into a caserole dish. Cook oh gas mark 6 for 30 mins ( to get it hot) Simmer on gas mark 2/3 for at least 3 to 4 hours longer the better, and i assure you it will me the tastiest meat that will melt in your mouth.

I like to cook Carrotts ( boil them first, then add then into the stew and they absorb the juices) add them to the stew and also fry a load of mushrooms and throw them in for the last half hour.

And also cook some new potatoes then put on a baking tray with olive oil and cook in oven till there not overly cooked so there still a little soft.

i'm no great fancy cook, but I like to cook food that is comforting to people.
Lurker
0 likes
forgot to say, my daughter has Coeliac disease so stock cubes are always Gluten -Free.
Lurker
0 likes
That's definitely a classic Cajun recipe. I would've had that when I lived there. It sounds good.
Lurker
0 likes
This is a great post Nic, I will never feel bored at tea-time again thanks!!!!
Matriarch
0 likes
Yum, I love stews and casseroles, must be an english thing. I sometimes do a similar one to that, and add cheese scones / dumpings near the end. Red wine is a very good addition, as is a sprig of Rosemary.

I was lazy tonight, made a steak sandwich (sorry rocco, I noticed you wanted one in another thread) - but not just your usual - flash fried the steak on both sides for only a minute or so, and had it with roast garlic aioli, onion jam, red onions and mushrooms, together with some rocket and roast red capsicum. I went to town on it a little too much, ChefK would have booted me out of the kitchen for all the messing with it

I'll have to investigate Cajun cooking more, thanks PM.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My best "impress the guests" dish?
"Hey, you know it's too hot and we're short on time, let's go to Jak's for a steak, if you've never been there, you'll love it."
Works every time.
Oh. You mean something that I actually cook myself?
Pig Slop. Despite the name, this tasty, easy to make recipe is a sure fire winner.
Take one pound of ground steak, start browning in pan, in another pan, start two cans of cream of mushroom soup
Finish beef, drain and mix in with soup.
Add some chopped veggies (I use the BirdsEye StirFry Mix)
spray a square baking dish with PAM, cover the bottom inch with chow mein noodles, pour beef, soup and veggie mix in, cover with ground cheddar/mozzerella/jack/cheese of your choice, bake at 350 for thirty minutes.

Surprisingly tasty. For variations, try ground lamb, and some spicier addition to the soup base. I've got about 20 different versions and hubby will ask for them by number at times. "How about a 16?" (the Mexican variety where I add some taco seasoning to the mix, a half pound of chorizo/half pound of beef and pepperjack cheese)
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
Lurker
0 likes
I was watching a house wife swap programme a few weeks back and there was a Jamcan family and the woman cooked what was called a Chicken Torka, it had chicken in it and all types of lentils it looked quite tasty I must try and find the recipe on line.
Lurker
0 likes
toss up between two ...

Chicken Enchalada with mexican spicy rice, salad on the side and great local beer

- or -

Baby back pork ribs with homemade bbq sauce, simmering for hours to be tender-tender-tender! With basmati rice, steamed broccoli & carrots, fresh calabrese buns and wine.

umm ... mind you, my Butter Chicken is also a much requested meal ....

now ... what to wear while I cook?? lol

B.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Bwitch

nothing!!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rxtales
Quote by Bwitch

nothing!!

No way, nothing is dangerous. Naked underneath a chef's apron, however, can cover the health and safety requirements. Footwear of some kind at all times in the kitchen, barefooted is too dangerous, as well.

Naked male cooks are even more frightening to think about. Hot fat splashing on certain parts, uh-oh, not good, never mind thinking about fun later on.
Lurker
0 likes
Wear nothing. Put a cover on the frying pan and go get some.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
Wear nothing. Put a cover on the frying pan and go get some.

Or bring something home from the neighbourhood deli.
Lurker
0 likes
hm.... to find a recipe that isn't a guarded family secret.....

ok so i don't one have... no great dinners but i do have shortbread cookies that everybody begs me for...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by eroticwriter26
hm.... to find a recipe that isn't a guarded family secret.....

ok so i don't one have... no great dinners but i do have shortbread cookies that everybody begs me for...

Well, where ARE they? Did you bring enough for everyone, or do I have to share?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Chicken Saltimbocca, seared asparagus and tomato wedges with a reduced balsamic glaze, and creamed spinach
So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family. George Carlin