Using material from a published author in a story

last reply
6 replies
2.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Troublemaker
0 likes
Is it OK to use a few sentences from a published book in a story submission? This presumes the author and title are included within the story. For example:

Lybuz opened Jane Smith's book " The Victory Tree" and began to read. "She mocked him gently, knowing full well his sensitivity about his penis size. Don't worry Billy, maybe it will grow." He set the book down on his writing desk.

The book in question was published in 1954 and would likely be covered by copyright.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
no. did you need an explanation as to why not, or just an answer? smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
That is called plagiarism, if knowingly doing it.
Lurker
0 likes
That's certainly not plagiarism. It may be copyright infringement. Often people say, "but what about 'fair use'?"

And that's a complicated enough topic that I'm sure the site wants to stay firmly away from any potential problems.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Yeah, that's not plagiarism, that's quotation. To claim it as your own work is plagiarism.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have been carefully explained, after referencing Lewis Carroll (who is so far out of copyright Disney made Alice in Wonderland decades ago), that it was not actually authorized for the sake of simplicity.

The difference between a quotation, a reference, a copyrighted or uncopyrighted work can be tricky, and as good as our moderators are, they aren't meant to check legal issues. You could pile on exception after exception too.

A bit disappointing, but it makes sense.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Thanx for the replies. There is a reference to this in Lush rules (don't do it!) but I know I have seen this done in print before. It certainly makes sense that Lush (and myself) would prefer to avoid any legal complications. Best to keep it simple.