Advice needed from published authors concerning photo release forms

last reply
1 reply
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello all you experienced authors

I am working on a novel that I hope to publish someday. A few years ago, an acquaintance of mine took a trip through the part of the country where the story takes place. She took several pictures I think would fit in nicely with my story. I’ve been advised, and rightly so I think, that I need to obtain written authorization from her giving me permission to include those pictures.

What I’m asking, is do any of you people that have published something have any suggestions as to what I should include in the authorization? How should it be worded? There will be three maybe four pictures I’d like to use. Do I need a separate release form for each one, or is there a way to include all of them in one authorization? Is there a ‘standard form’ that is generally used, and if so, where could I obtain a copy? If you have any suggestions along this line, I’d sure love to hear them.

When my great American novel sits on the New York Times bestseller list for a year or so, and the money is pouring in by the truckload, I don’t want her coming back and demanding half of the proceeds. Haha. Hey, I’m allowed to dream, aren’t I?

Thank you for any help, suggestions or comments you may have.

A big dreamer
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
Back in the day, I had a book blog where I analyzed young adult fiction. I liked one of the covers of the book so well, I contacted the artist and asked if I could use it. He sent me the following reply:

No royalty is needed, just my permission, which you have.
The only stipulations are:
1. The image is used only in regards to the book, or myself.
2. The image is not use for profit in any way.
3. You re-host the image, and do not hotlink it from my site.
4. You credit me by name and provide a link to my website somewhere.

I think all you need is written permission from the person who owns the rights to the image, with any stipulations she wants to add (Don't alter the image... ) I'm not a lawyer, so you want to double-check that.

Here's the thing, though. Unless the story is a picture book for kids, most publishers and agents don't want to talk about images until much later in the process. When you get to the place where your story is accepted, you have a little more leverage to talk about cover art, illustrations, etc.