you gotta see this!

last reply
34 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
so, growing up during the mtv era, i have TONS of music vids that fit into this category - but i'm more curious about your list. do you have any favorite music videos that make you smile, make you think, capture the essence of the song, or are visually stunning?

this is one of my favorites because of the simplicity. paul simon plays a great straight man to chevy chase and it, as well as the song, never fails to make me smile.

looking forward to checking out your favs!

nia?

Say. Her. Name.

Constant Gardener
0 likes
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
this takes me back .1985 reckless i think.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
If you can make any sense out of this, I've got bad news for you (though I'd sure love to know your pusher):

Constant Gardener
0 likes
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes

this was my first introduction to this group - and boy did it make an impact. not only do i love the song, but i was really captivated by the video. they didn't go the cliche route and produced a great visual.

Say. Her. Name.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Summer The First Time...Artist: Bobby Goldsboro...This predates MTV and was probably one of the earliest music videos made.
Lurker
0 likes
I totally forgot about this song, about + - a year ago, then this guy comes around and reminds me of this amazing song from my childhood,
I did not really understand the words then, but now, so meaningful...? ? ? Guess you won't understand it, it is in Afrikaans...

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

this video was rather controversial when it came out in 2011. it was done guerilla style and in one take. it depicts erykah badu stripping naked along the path of jfk's motorcade in dallas and being shot dead at the point of his assassination. the video was her take on the concept of group think. as you can guess, many were offended. others felt she sacrificed her message by being nude. badu was ultimately fined $500 by the city of dallas for public nudity.

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

this video was released in 1997 and has the distinction of being the first video to be banned on mtv. it was banned for a myriad of reasons including: misogyny, nudity, drug/alcohol use and violence. you could only watch (the heavily censored version) it after midnight. obviously, most people wanted to see it; a lot of that had to do with 'the twist' at the end. here's the unedited version.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by honeydipped

this video was released in 1997 and has the distinction of being the first video to be banned on mtv. it was banned for a myriad of reasons including: misogyny, nudity, drug/alcohol use and violence. you could only watch (the heavily censored) version after midnight. obviously, most people wanted to see it; a lot of that had to do with 'the twist' at the end. here's the unedited version.

I loved the twist at the end the very first time i saw it... laughingly I always tried to tell people it was called Smash my Picture...rarely worked LOL
The one word of advice I have is simply 'DUCK'!!! The real question is when??? - FtFagos
Constant Gardener
0 likes
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
that was HILARIOUS!

this is one of my favorite videos! it was directed by hype williams who was a popular hip hop/r&b video director in the 90s and early 2000s. the video was released in 1999 and is still listed as one of the most expensive videos ever made. i love how janet jackson looks like a futuristic anime dominatrix lol fun fact: her costume was adorned with 200+ cock rings.

Say. Her. Name.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

i just watched this video for the first time in years yesterday. i forgot how simply sexy it is. done in classic black and white on a beach with beautiful shots. admittedly having helena christensen as the eye candy didn't hurt. there's a reason why it still pops up on sexiest videos lists almost thirty years later.

Say. Her. Name.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

The Year Of The Cat...Artist: Al Stewart
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Fernando...Artists: ABBA
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

probably my favorite video of all time, 12 seconds of film by Spike Jonze
The Bee's Knees
0 likes

besides really loving this song - i am digging the video! it's so full of vibrant colors. pewter grey, royal blue, and gold are among some of the hues present. what really intrigued me was the imagery, particularly the opening scene in which kendrick is navigating the river styx. i liked how greek mythology was incorporated with the african setting. last, but not least, i enjoyed seeing kendrick embrace his african dandy. and of course, sza was stunning.

Say. Her. Name.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Pop Muzic...Artist: M
The Bee's Knees
0 likes

this is america...don't catch you slipping up

i've been a fan of donald glover it seems like forever. never really connected with his rap persona (childish gambino) but i've enjoyed a song here and there. THIS is one of those times. the song utilizes afro beats and a choir-esque hook, very easy to groove to - especially if you're not listening to the lyrics.

the video on the other hand is a completely different animal. i can't do an analysis justice, so i've added a link to a thought provoking article by refinery29. if you choose to watch the video - please be warned that it is graphic.

enjoy.

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/05/198342/childish-gambino-this-is-america

Say. Her. Name.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Wow. Just watched that whole thing. Powerful. A couple very disturbing moments.

I am listening to my Dad's improbably loud television from the other side of the wall.

Quote by honeydipped

this is america...don't catch you slipping up

i've been a fan of donald glover it seems like forever. never really connected with his rap persona (childish gambino) but i've enjoyed a song here and there. THIS is one of those times. the song utilizes afro beats and a choir-esque hook, very easy to groove to - especially if you're not listening to the lyrics.

the video on the other hand is a completely different animal. i can't do an analysis justice, so i've added a link to a thought provoking article by refinery29. if you choose to watch the video - please be warned that it is graphic.

enjoy.

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/05/198342/childish-gambino-this-is-america

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

this video was released in 1991 and is one of the first videos that stood out for me for it's use of saturated color. r.e.m. featured depictions from the work of italian baroque artist caravaggio. he was known for recreating biblical scenes using everyday people including prostitutes and thieves. plus - who doesn't like seeing michael stipe dance? enjoy a bit of 90's nostalgia☺

Say. Her. Name.

The Bee's Knees
0 likes

so, when did you fall in love with hip hop?

this is one of my favorite videos of all time! what sets it apart is that it's paired with an r&b song that serves as a love letter to hip hop. in the video, badu tells its history and the different eras rap evolved into while showcasing various parts of the culture (i.e. break dancing and graffiti). sprinkled throughout the video are cameos by hip hop pioneers; ending with dj kool herc who is credited with creating the genre. i found it fitting to share because today is hip hop's forty-fifth birthday. enjoy?

Say. Her. Name.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Strangerlyd
I totally forgot about this song, about + - a year ago, then this guy comes around and reminds me of this amazing song from my childhood,
I did not really understand the words then, but now, so meaningful...? ? ? Guess you won't understand it, it is in Afrikaans...

From this video it's hard, but when I looked up a version with the lyrics printed out I could actually understand pretty well, being Dutch ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by noll

From this video it's hard, but when I looked up a version with the lyrics printed out I could actually understand pretty well, being Dutch ;)

Aww, not many will try to understand, that is so nice of you, (being Dutch), I can only speak two languages, Afrikaans and English, but believe it or not, I can read a little bit of Duch, very similar to Afrikaans, so you are right to say you understand...Guess singing and talking, not all can understand, but reading it's easier...Thanks again for taking your time to look the lyrics up...