Anyone have a life-motto?

last reply
138 replies
12.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I think my college-focused motto is: I survived Astronomy 101. I can do anything.

Which I've been chanting repeatedly since the start of this semester (in Economics and Accounting this go around)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Never trust happiness.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Live in the NOW.
You can't change the past & you can't control the future so just be present presently...or something like that.

Annnd Karma is real
Chuckanator
0 likes
As boring as it sounds, the golden rule works for me. Always treat others as I would like to be treated.

Be careful how you treat others in your climb to success because you may meet them on your way down.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you can't change it don't bitch about it.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by Ping

Oh, so you've found a way to once more get McDonalds coffee?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lauradj

Oh, so you've found a way to once more get McDonalds coffee?

There is no will to patronize those thieving pricks, so there is no way!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The key in life is never to become too old for your victories.

I have my work. (Both from Nietzsche)

"Rebbe. Teach me to pray!" (Simon Peter)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Belthazor
This one is mine.

God I loved this man. He had a show on Boston University radio I found moving.
Clearly, his speeches in person were always a joy and simultaneously crushing. He spoke with a charisma.
0 likes
"The greatest good for the greatest number in the shortest amount of time."

*shrugging* yah, so I volunteer for FEMA SAR stuff....pro tip du jour: If you're in the aftermath of a disaster and someone tries to tie or tape a piece of black or black and white striped tape to you, you're being tagged as "dead" or "imminently dead". Not ideal.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Here's one I try to emulate all the time...

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I like this one, among others.

To put it simply, conceptualize who your ultimate model would be, and then become it (or at least try your fucking best to). Cast your limitations aside and become the greatest thing in this world that you yourself can admire. Why sit on your ass and wait for some hero to embody your own ideals when absolutely no one could ever epitomize them better than yourself?

Batman followed that philosophy, so it definitely can't be all that wrong.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
"Eating a tangerine is real enlightenment."

From a book on Zen. Being present in the moment, whatever the moment is. Something else from the book (paraphrased): 'You are the eyes, ears, and consciousness of the universe. The universe has brought you to this exact moment to experience through you the feeling of loading a washing machine in a dirty laundromat in Ohio at 9:00pm, while an old lady eyes you suspiciously over the top of her harlequin novel. All experience is sacred."

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

0 likes
Quote by Dancewithme

God I loved this man. He had a show on Boston University radio I found moving.
Clearly, his speeches in person were always a joy and simultaneously crushing. He spoke with a charisma.

I met him when I was in college. He signed my copy of "Night" and shook my hand.

I can attest to his live speeches. Truly one of my role models.
Lurker
0 likes
"Living the life, that my mother gave me."
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

'You are the eyes, ears, and consciousness of the universe. The universe has brought you to this exact moment to experience through you the feeling of loading a washing machine in a dirty laundromat in Ohio at 9:00pm, while an old lady eyes you suspiciously over the top of her harlequin novel. All experience is sacred."

Love this.

I don't really have a motto, other than "be kind," I guess, but this reminds me of a great motto from The Illuminatus Trilogy: Never whistle while you're pissing. Meaning, if you are doing something, be present in the moment, and fully experience it. If you are pissing, then BE pissing, don't whistle or think about other things. Be there, while it is happening.

I think that's one of the (many) reasons people love sex: you are almost always there in the moment, experiencing it fully, being there.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
I think my college-focused motto is: I survived Astronomy 101. I an do anything.

Which I've been chanting repeatedly since the start of this semester (in Economics and Accounting this go around)

I LOVED Astronomy 101.

Not sure I could survive Economics and Accounting. Good luck.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have two:
- Always look on the bright side of life
- Kindness is never a waste of time
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Site administrator
0 likes
I do... one needs to have a few laughs every day.