Can I post excerpts here?

last reply
15 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am working on the second draft of my dark fantasy novel, which contains some elements that aren't allowed on here. Fair enough, I won't post anything that breaks the rules. Am I allowed to post stuff from my novel that doesn't break the rules?

Follow up, I know isn't allowed on here. The scenes I want to post don't contain but may refer to the that occurred earlier in the story. Not in great detail, mind, but the character learning to move past her trauma is a major theme throughout the piece. Is this allowed?

Thanks in advance!
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Xanaphia
I am working on the second draft of my dark fantasy novel, which contains some elements that aren't allowed on here. Fair enough, I won't post anything that breaks the rules. Am I allowed to post stuff from my novel that doesn't break the rules?

Absolutely. Just consider though that sharing excerpts from longer stories loses a lot of context for the reader so you'll have to be quite selective. Perhaps posting short sex scenes as flash stories might work best?

Quote by Xanaphia
Follow up, I know isn't allowed on here. The scenes I want to post don't contain but may refer to the that occurred earlier in the story. Not in great detail, mind, but the character learning to move past her trauma is a major theme throughout the piece. Is this allowed?

Generally, no, but it depends on how it is written. People come to Lush to read exhilarating stories that titillate and arouse. Stories with heavy elements of past trauma due to things like sexual assault or domestic abuse are pretty dispiriting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Generally, no, but it depends on how it is written. People come to Lush to read exhilarating stories that titillate and arouse. Stories with heavy elements of past trauma due to things like sexual assault or domestic abuse are pretty dispiriting.

Understandable. I personally happen to think a character discovering pleasure in sex again after having been assault is exhilarating. But this gives me a better idea about which parts I should submit here, and which parts I shouldn't, so thanks for saving the headache.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Xanaphia

Understandable. I personally happen to think a character discovering pleasure in sex again after having been assault is exhilarating. But this gives me a better idea about which parts I should submit here, and which parts I shouldn't, so thanks for saving the headache.

I applaud you for that attitude - it's a tricky subject at best. that said, i agree with Liz - the sex scenes will get you mor attention, seeing as how that's the sites primary focus. looking forward to seeing what you have on offer. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I applaud you for that attitude - it's a tricky subject at best. that said, I agree with Liz - the sex scenes will get you mor attention, seeing as how that's the sites primary focus. looking forward to seeing what you have on offer. smile
Yeah I will post my fluffier smut scene for now, and hopefully attract some attention to toward my full novel. I have one awaiting approval right now, and I will submit the next one afterwards. I just got frustrated with another site because they won't allow my full novel on there because of the content, and they won't let me post scenes from it (even scenes I am not sure will end up in the finished piece) because they consider them "teasers." It's too bad because I was getting a lot of views there.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

People come to Lush to read exhilarating stories that titillate and arouse. .

I don't agree with that.

Saying that suggests that people are only here for titillating and arousing stories, which simply isn't the case. Some stories could be humorous, intriguing, enlightening.

My story, Plunder and Pleasure, isn't the slightest bit arousing, but it was still well received. It's about my black friend Calvin and me snorting loads of cocaine, robbing people's houses and shagging posh tarts, but people still enjoyed it. It received 9 high votes, 5 positive comments and a lady on your mod team sent me a PM telling me how much she enjoyed it and that it made her laugh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Raza

I don't agree with that.

Saying that suggests that people are only here for titillating and arousing stories, which simply isn't the case. Some stories could be humorous, intriguing, enlightening.

My story, Plunder and Pleasure, isn't the slightest bit arousing, but it was still well received. It's about my black friend Calvin and me snorting loads of cocaine, robbing people's houses and shagging posh tarts, but people still enjoyed it. It received 9 high votes, 5 positive comments and a lady on your mod team sent me a PM telling me how much she enjoyed it and that it made her laugh.
Well, my poem is already receiving some attention, and some lovely comments and that positive feedback is just what I need to continue the soul-crushing effort that is editing my novel. I guess I need to know someone is interested in what I am writing so that all this work doesn't go to waste.

Are you sure it isn't arousing? Sounds like it could be hot, what with the shagging posh tarts and what not. One of the scenes I want to share, that I think I will decline on for now is my two main characters confronting after the female character was assaulted. She throws herself at the male character, and things progress towards sex until he realized she isn't in the right mindset for sex and is essential using sex to self-harm. He throws her out, while still fantasizing about how badly he wants her. It's an emotionally intense scene with heavy erotic overtones and insane chemistry. Just not sure if it is a good fit for here.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Xanaphia
Well, my poem is already receiving some attention, and some lovely comments and that positive feedback is just what I need to continue the soul-crushing effort that is editing my novel. I guess I need to know someone is interested in what I am writing so that all this work doesn't go to waste.

Are you sure it isn't arousing? Sounds like it could be hot, what with the shagging posh tarts and what not. One of the scenes I want to share, that I think I will decline on for now is my two main characters confronting after the female character was assaulted. She throws herself at the male character, and things progress towards sex until he realized she isn't in the right mindset for sex and is essential using sex to self-harm. He throws her out, while still fantasizing about how badly he wants her. It's an emotionally intense scene with heavy erotic overtones and insane chemistry. Just not sure if it is a good fit for here.

i like to think that we're a good fit for a variety of stories, including ones that are 'emotionally intense' and darker. yes, the majority of what you will find here tends to be arousing, and that is the best way to draw attention to your writing, but many of our writers will put up something much darker or deeper from time to time with good results as well. Dancing Doll, Burquette, MadMartigan and Evie come to mind as good examples, although there are many more. I tend to flirt with a mixture of humor, hot sex, and darker themes myself from time to time.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

i like to think that we're a good fit for a variety of stories, including ones that are 'emotionally intense' and darker. yes, the majority of what you will find here tends to be arousing, and that is the best way to draw attention to your writing, but many of our writers will put up something much darker or deeper from time to time with good results as well. Dancing Doll, Burquette, MadMartigan and Evie come to mind as good examples, although there are many more. I tend to flirt with a mixture of humor, hot sex, and darker themes myself from time to time.
Well, I will see how the first two scene I want to submit was received before I start pushing the envelope.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Raza
I don't agree with that.

Who said exhilarating stories that titillate and arouse cannot also be humorous, intriguing, or enlightening?

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to put 'most people come to Lush to...'

After all, this is a sex stories website. We do not publish stories that do not contain some element of love, sex, or eroticism. Those that are submitted without any of these things are generally referred to our non-erotic sister site storiesspace.com
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Xanaphia
Well, I will see how the first two scene I want to submit was received before I start pushing the envelope.

The best advice for you: Do not let somebody else's rules dictate what you write. When you write you let your imagination off its leash completely, 100%. It goes where it wants to go -- no barriers. It's not illegal, never has been, never will be. If you're placing restrictions on your writing because of somebody's artificial rules, you're doing yourself and the art of writing a serious injustice.

I grew up on an unhealthy diet of British crime books, books that glamorize crime, sex and violence. Authors such as Martina Cole, Mandasue Heller, Jessie Keane, Kimberly Chambers. Every book I've ever read breaks Lush's rules in one way or another. My writing is heavily influenced by those authors. I've written close to a hundred stories, none of which would get published here at Lush.

If you want a story published here, do what I did with Plunder and Pleasure. Keep the original version for yourself or a site that will accept it, and do a heavily edited version for here. A soft and fluffy, watered-down version that the good people here at Lush will accept.

Problem solved.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Raza
The best advice for you: Do not let somebody else's rules dictate what you write. When you write you let your imagination off its leash completely, 100%. It goes where it wants to go -- no barriers. It's not illegal, never has been, never will be. If you're placing restrictions on your writing because of somebody's artificial rules, you're doing yourself and the art of writing a serious injustice.

I grew up on an unhealthy diet of British crime books, books that glamorize crime, sex and violence. Authors such as Martina Cole, Mandasue Heller, Jessie Keane, Kimberly Chambers. Every book I've ever read breaks Lush's rules in one way or another. My writing is heavily influenced by those authors. I've written close to a hundred stories, none of which would get published here at Lush.

If you want a story published here, do what I did with Plunder and Pleasure. Keep the original version for yourself or a site that will accept it, and do a heavily edited version for here. A soft and fluffy, watered-down version that the good people here at Lush will accept.

Problem solved.

There is nothing in our acceptable content rules which would prevent someone from including 'crime, sex and (mild) violence' in their publications.

The rules on Lush pertaining to story content are very simple.

I agree not to post stories which feature minors (under 16 years old). I also agree not to submit stories which include content pertaining to , graphic violence, incest (close blood relatives), totally unwilling participants, drugging, dangerous sexual acts, snuff, racism, or bestiality.

If leaving elements out of your stories such as underage characters, , racism, bestiality, etc leaves you with what you consider a "soft and fluffy, watered-down version" then Lush really is not the place for you. That sort of stuff is not published here.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

If leaving elements out of your stories such as underage characters, , racism, bestiality, etc leaves you with what you consider a "soft and fluffy, watered-down version" then Lush really is not the place for you. That sort of stuff is not published here.

I'm well aware of the rules. My story was published with no problem, so I can write reasonably well and am capable of adhering to the rules.

What's wrong with the soft and fluffy, watered-down versions of my stories? You make it sound like there's a problem with that. Telling me Lush is not the place for me makes it sound like you're trying to bully me off the site.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Raza
I'm well aware of the rules. My story was published with no problem, so I can write reasonably well and am capable of adhering to the rules.

What's wrong with the soft and fluffy, watered-down versions of my stories? You make it sound like there's a problem with that. Telling me Lush is not the place for me makes it sound like you're trying to bully me off the site.

I'm not bullying anyone. In fact, I thought the tone of your post made it sound like you had a problem with 'watering down' your stories.

You made it sound like the rules Lush imposes on authors are excessive and dictatorial, and I don't believe that to be the case. The owner of the site simply doesn't want to publish certain story elements on here.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I'm not bullying anyone. In fact, I thought the tone of your post made it sound like you had a problem with 'watering down' your stories.

You made it sound like the rules Lush imposes on authors are excessive and dictatorial, and I don't believe that to be the case. The owner of the site simply doesn't want to publish certain story elements on here.

I have the utmost respect for Lush's owners and rules. And I don't have a problem with taking the best parts out my stories and making them soft and fluffy to adhere to Lush's rules. If I had a problem with it I wouldn't do it.

It was obviously a misunderstanding so I'll forgive you this time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Raza

Problem solved.

Yeah, my manuscript is extremely dark and definitely breaks some rules on here, which is why I am being selective on which parts I would publish here. It's too bad because I have several scenes that I think are really well written and erotic as hell that just don't fit well. Like, a dream sequence where a woman catches her fiance and her lover fighting, and, in trying to break up the fight, she accidentally kills her fiance. Then her lover takes her on the corpse of her dead fiance. Or another where she dreams about her but changes the outcome so she kills her rapists, and then has rough sex with her lover in the same place. I am positive those scenes are not allowed here, so I wouldn't go through the headache of submitting them.

I just find it amusing that the scenes I have submitted so far make me seem like a rather vanilla writer when much of the stuff I write is pretty raunchy. But I haven't gotten around to editing the raunchier parts yet, so that is probably part of it. But if things continue to progress well for me here, I have scores of filthy smut to post on here, which I hope will be well enjoyed.

BTW, I know fan fiction isn't allowed on here, for depicting canon characters. So those rules also apply to original characters? I have a massive Star Wars story (180k words) that really just uses the setting and concepts to tell an original story with original characters. I think I could post the first smut scene on here since it contains no references to the larger universe (just comes off as a slightly sci-fi hook up scene), but later chapters would need significant editing and altering to erase all aspects of the source material.