Help for Charlie horses?

last reply
27 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I drink enough water, take supplements, keeping a bit active, I even eat a little regular yellow mustard once or twice a day.

Some people put a bar of soap under their sheet, ect.

I still get them and "do everything right".

Does anyone else go through this?

I know it can be a side from certain meds but I don't think any that I take contribute to that.

Does anyone else have any good advice? Besides stretching after exercise?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE
I drink enough water, take supplements, keeping a bit active, I even eat a little regular yellow mustard once or twice a day.

I know it can be a side from certain meds but I don't think any that I take contribute to that.

When you say "charlie horse" are you referring to a muscle spasm in your thigh?

So aside from maintaining fluid and electrolyte levels, there are a couple things that you can do.

Various medications can help. Specifically Robaxacet/robaxasol if you want to go over the counter. Most back pain medications contain methocarbamol which is a muscle relaxant. The brand name really doesn't matter. Just look at the medicinal ingredients. You can also go to your doctor and get a script for cyclobenzaprine which is a more powerful muscle relaxant. It will make you drowsy though but if you take it at night it really shouldn't be a problem.

You can also use heat or ice applied directly to the affected area. Most people like heat better because it feels better, but ice is actually better at reducing muscle spasm.

The mustard thing is an old wives tale. This theory is based on the ridiculous notion that if you increase acetic acid (vinegar) it will correspondingly increase body levels of acetylcholine which is the main neurotransmitter involved in muscle contraction. There is no scientific evidence for this and quite frankly from a biochemical stance, it doesn't even make sense on a theoretical level.

I don't even know what the "bar of soap" thing is. If I can make one recommendation to you it would be to avoid consulting "Dr Internet" for health or nutrition issues. There is just way too much garbage out there.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Eat bananas. Low potassium levels cause cramps (charlie horses). Also stretch regularly before exercise. Hot tub after exercise if you have access to one.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Eat bananas. Low potassium levels cause cramps (charlie horses). Also stretch regularly before exercise. Hot tub after exercise if you have access to one.

i was actually going to suggest this. Hyland's also makes a product (probably some other companies, but i am familiar with Hyland's) specifically for leg cramps that can be picked up at any pharmacy. capsules or cream.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

When you say "charlie horse" are you referring to a muscle spasm in your thigh?

So aside from maintaining fluid and electrolyte levels, there are a couple things that you can do.

Various medications can help. Specifically Robaxacet/robaxasol if you want to go over the counter. Most back pain medications contain methocarbamol which is a muscle relaxant. The brand name really doesn't matter. Just look at the medicinal ingredients. You can also go to your doctor and get a script for cyclobenzaprine which is a more powerful muscle relaxant. It will make you drowsy though but if you take it at night it really shouldn't be a problem.

You can also use heat or ice applied directly to the affected area. Most people like heat better because it feels better, but ice is actually better at reducing muscle spasm.

The mustard thing is an old wives tale. This theory is based on the ridiculous notion that if you increase acetic acid (vinegar) it will correspondingly increase body levels of acetylcholine which is the main neurotransmitter involved in muscle contraction. There is no scientific evidence for this and quite frankly from a biochemical stance, it doesn't even make sense on a theoretical level.

I don't even know what the "bar of soap" thing is. If I can make one recommendation to you it would be to avoid consulting "Dr Internet" for health or nutrition issues. There is just way too much garbage out there.

Thank you, Damon. I mean a cramp on my calf when I get out of bed when I wake up.

Thank you for the second recommendation. I take one already. Thanks, kindly!

Thanks, Sprite. I already have those and they do help
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

Thank you, Damon. I mean a cramp on my calf when I get out of bed when I wake up.

Thank you for the second recommendation. I take one already. Thanks, kindly!

Thanks, Sprite. I already have those and they do help

Is it a cramp? or just muscle pain and stiffness?

If it is in your calf, then it's most likely activity related. Take it as a good sign that you worked the muscle adequately. smile

A good calf stretch after working out and before you go to bed will help. The best way is a slant board.

You can buy one or rig one up at home yourself. Just make sure that you feel the stretch in the muscle belly of the calf and not down at the insertion of the achilles tendon in your heel. And hold for at least 30-60 seconds.

Like I said though, take it as a good sign that you did something beneficial the day before. And if it hurts the next day, then be happy that you accomplished something the day before. Delayed onset muscle pain is a pretty positive thing to have. As long as you know the difference between good and bad pain.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Is it a cramp? or just muscle pain and stiffness?

If it is in your calf, then it's most likely activity related. Take it as a good sign that you worked the muscle adequately. smile

A good calf stretch after working out and before you go to bed will help. The best way is a slant board.

You can buy one or rig one up at home yourself. Just make sure that you feel the stretch in the muscle belly of the calf and not down at the insertion of the achilles tendon in your heel. And hold for at least 30-60 seconds.

Like I said though, take it as a good sign that you did something beneficial the day before. And if it hurts the next day, then be happy that you accomplished something the day before. Delayed onset muscle pain is a pretty positive thing to have. As long as you know the difference between good and bad pain.

Thanks for responding again. A Charlie horse in my calf. I was low on a key supplement that I take now. I also do the others in my first post. Thanks Damon!
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

Thanks for responding again. A Charlie horse in my calf. I was low on a key supplement that I take now. I also do the others in my first post. Thanks Damon!

Not being grossly out of shape would help too. Sounds like that is the only thing you haven't tried. Sometimes when you're a shut in, who spends every waking moment on the computer, that can happen. Maybe get a standing desk to start out.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Not being grossly out of shape would help too. Sounds like that is the only thing you haven't tried. Sometimes when you're a shut in, who spends every waking moment on the computer, that can happen. Maybe get a standing desk to start out.

I'm truly sorry that your parents did not love you enough or give you enough attention. Healing vibes and thoughts your way, Felix. you could try counseling!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

I'm truly sorry that your parents did not love you enough or give you enough attention. Healing vibes and thoughts your way, Felix. you could try counseling!

haha don't you wish that was true? One does not need a troubled childhood to realize you're an idiot. And your flavor of the week positive vibes love and peace nonsense comes off as really insincere since lately you have poked at me several times completely out of the blue. If you don't like to be made fun of, don't go poking at me.

Anyway, was just trying to help you out there, - insert current name -. Pills and gimmicks won't stop your charlie horses, getting off your ass and going for a walk will.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

haha don't you wish that was true? One does not need a troubled childhood to realize you're an idiot. And your flavor of the week positive vibes love and peace nonsense comes off as really insincere since lately you have poked at me several times completely out of the blue. If you don't like to be made fun of, don't go poking at me.

Anyway, was just trying to help you out there, - insert current name -. Pills and gimmicks won't stop your charlie horses, getting off your ass and going for a walk will.

Sorry your steel chair your fat ass sits on all day broke, yet again. Sorry the only life you will ever have is reading about other's lives and giving speculations on nothing you know about.

At least you admit your sick obsession with me. I'm laughing at your lame ass every day.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

Sorry your steel chair your fat ass sits on all day broke, yet again. Sorry the only life you will ever have is reading about other's lives and giving speculations on nothing you know about.

At least you admit your sick obsession with me. I'm laughing at your lame ass every day.

Laughing burns calories. See I'm helping you.

The obsession part you have been projecting ever since the first time I laughed at one of your posts... It's funny how on lush people immediately go to the obsession thing if someone points out something ridiculous. It's also funny how some people on lush never think anything they do could possibly be funny to anybody socially acceptable. "If I get made fun of it must be by a virgin, who lives with his mom and is fat and ugly! A good looking, successful, fit person would never make fun of me! I am too good for that!". It's really pretty fascinating. I guess in that sense I am obsessed. Like how Jacques Cousteau was "obsessed" with studying animals. "IAMLOVE" is like a sea lion to me, a sea lion with charlie horses in its flipper.

And geez... What happened to all the peace, love, positive thinking vibes?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Laughing burns calories. See I'm helping you.

The obsession part you have been projecting ever since the first time I laughed at one of your posts... It's funny how on lush people immediately go to the obsession thing if someone points out something ridiculous. It's also funny how some people on lush never think anything they do could possibly be funny to anybody socially acceptable. "If I get made fun of it must be by a virgin, who lives with his mom and is fat and ugly! A good looking, successful, fit person would never make fun of me! I am too good for that!". It's really pretty fascinating. I guess in that sense I am obsessed. Like how Jacques Cousteau was "obsessed" with studying animals. "IAMLOVE" is like a sea lion to me.

And geez... What happened to all the peace, love, positive thinking vibes?

That's you, Felix! Either a huge crybaby or a crybaby. Don't like being called out back?
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

That's you, Baby Felix!

well shit...
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

That's you, Feilx! Either a huge crybaby or a crybaby. Don't like being called out back?

Obviously I like it, little mouse.
Convict
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

Magnesium deficiency can be a cause of muscle cramps. Perhaps talk to a doctor or nutritionist about supplements if your diet is magnesium deficient.
The Bruiser
0 likes
I agree with all the above suggestions. Also another thing is you can go have a massage which can help relieve the tightness in your muscles

For the past few months I’ve been using Instagram and been using the site to post my photography . Here’s the link to my profile 

https://www.instagram.com/farmerroger1/

My recommended read

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-poems/amongst-the-arabian-sands

here’s a link to my photography album in my media

https://www.lushstories.com/profile/farmerroger/media?album=2399646

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by IAMLOVE

Yeah...you keep saying "charlie horse." I really don't know what that means. It's not a medical term. Unless you were born in 1920 or are a five year old playing Operation I can't help you out.

Maybe just listen to Trinket. She seems like she has a plethora of information to disperse. Psst... I hear eating mustard magically cures whatever the fuck a "charlie horse" is.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by trinket

Magnesium deficiency can be a cause of muscle cramps. Perhaps talk to a doctor or nutritionist about supplements if your diet is magnesium deficient.

Nobody in the developed western world in deficient in Magnesium. Mg also has nothing to do with muscle function. Its main functions are involved with nerve conduction and myocardium contraction.

If you feel the need to dispense uneducated nutritional advice, the please do it in PM so you don't subject the rest of us to your pseudo-science silliness.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Charlie Horse? It could be worse. It could be a Trojan Horse. And of course, there's Crazy Horse, but he is relegated to a statue being built in South Dakota.

I've been into sports/athletics most of my life. I find I get muscle cramps mostly during very hot and humid weather. Dehydration, as well as lots of exercises and physical activity, can cause cramps.

If you're not in condition, suddenly becoming physically active can cause muscle cramps. Even if you are in great physical condition you can still get cramps, especially from lots of running and bicycling.

Every so often I wake up with a very painful calf muscle cramp or worse thigh and leg biceps. In the summer mostly. Stay hydrated and eat a banana every day for potassium. Don't go getting potassium pills. That is way too much. Bananas will do the trick. In fact, you should eat fruit every day.

Do sensible stretch excercises. The one Damon pictured is a good one. That one will even help prevent plantar fasciitis which can result from sudden physical activity as well as just long time pressure on that tendon that goes from the back of your heel to underneath your foot.
Convict
0 likes
Here's a link for you Margot. It may or may not shed some light.

Click here

Quote by DamonX

Nobody in the developed western world in deficient in Magnesium. Mg also has nothing to do with muscle function. Its main functions are involved with nerve conduction and myocardium contraction.

If you feel the need to dispense uneducated nutritional advice, the please do it in PM so you don't subject the rest of us to your pseudo-science silliness.

Don't tell me what I can and cannot post in these forums. I am not breaking any rules and it's not up to you to berate me even if I did. I checked my facts before I posted.
Lurker
0 likes
Have a look at your Sodium intake. If you're lacking in sodium it may be causing the cramps otherwise there maybe another underlying medical factor e.g. Heart disease. But please, seek the advice of a Doctor or at least Dr Google..
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by trinket
Here's a link for you Margot. It may or may not shed some light.

Click here

Don't tell me what I can and cannot post in these forums. I am not breaking any rules and it's not up to you to berate me even if I did. I checked my facts before I posted.

Didn't you block me? However did you know that I posted this?

If "checking your facts" means you looked at Wikipedia then I guess you certainly did "check your facts."

Now I'll be nice here because I'm guessing you don't have a strong science background. This isn't a personal attack. I just really have a pet peeve for the dissemination of bad nutrition/medical information.

Unless you are a homeless person, taking diuretics, or have an extremely rare digestive disorder, magnesium deficiency is simply not going to be an option. And please note that the RDA of Mg is far above the levels that any human being needs. So even though that most people don't meet the RDA, actual deficiency is extremely rare.

That is how nutrient recommendations work. The purpose is make sure that the entire population gets enough of said nutrient regardless of situation/body size/internal physiology.

With regards to treating muscle cramps with Mg there is simply no evidence, nor is there any valid theoretical mechanism for which this to work. Magnesium is involved in motor neuron function but any association with muscle cramps remains tenuous at best. In fact, increased serum levels of Mg may actually have a negative effect on muscle contraction by displacing calcium from its binding sites on myosin (one of the main structural protein components of muscle fibers).

As for actual evidence, you need to look at either systematic reviews or meta-analysis of studies evaluating the relationship of magnesium supplementation on treatment of muscle cramps. I'm assuming that you don't have access to a University database, so the best you can really do on the internet is accessing the abstracts of those studies. If you do so, then I think you will probably find that they come to the following conclusion:

"Authors' conclusions: It is unlikely that magnesium supplementation provides clinically meaningful cramp prophylaxis to older adults experiencing skeletal muscle cramps. In contrast, for those experiencing pregnancy‐associated rest cramps the literature is conflicting and further research in this patient population is needed. We found no randomized controlled trials evaluating magnesium for exercise‐associated muscle cramps or disease state‐associated muscle cramps (for example amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease)."

There are somewhat decent sources of information on the internet, unfortunately you need the have the basic knowledge to know how to evaluate that information. Often times, nutritional or medical ideas get spread throughout the general population (usually by supplement companies looking to make a profit of people's ignorance.) The widespread use of Vitamin C to cure colds for example is one that seems impossible to dispel even though a half century of scientific research has proven that idea false again and again.

Now if you are actually interested in learning more about this subject (and not simply finding loopholes to try and prove yourself right) then I will be happy to direct you to some external sources or reading material that might be better suited to your educational level. My suggestion that you conduct this kind of thing in private was merely out of consideration for your ego. If you wish to debate in public, then I am happy to oblige. Since it's outside the think tank, I will even refrain from any personal insults.

I do have a suspicion though, that you might find Damon the academic to be a bit harder to deal with than Damon the asshole.

If you do wish to engage in an intellectual debate, then I suggest you come with something a little bit more advanced than a wikipedia article. It's kind of like bringing a slingshot to a gun fight.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Yeah...you keep saying "charlie horse." I really don't know what that means. It's not a medical term. Unless you were born in 1920 or are a five year old playing Operation I can't help you out.

Maybe just listen to Trinket. She seems like she has a plethora of information to disperse. Psst... I hear eating mustard magically cures whatever the fuck a "charlie horse" is.

LMAO. Neither one applies to me.
Lurker
0 likes
I've been to the doctor. It's not from suddenly starting to work out. Lol

I don't have a low sodium deficiency that I know of.

Thanks for the input and all, everyone!

I drink a ton of water every dang day. It's not dehydration.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by trinket

You beat me to it trinket. Wife has restless leg. She takes calm every nite to help with it, high in magnesium, and i take it as well, helps with cramps and aids in sleep. Been doing it for years, she is a nutritionist and sells a lot of it at the shop.