Login

Naming Inantimate Objects

last reply
19 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I'm a diabetic and I wear an insulin pump. My first pump was male and named Cosmo. My current pump is female, but hasn't been named yet.

I started thinking about all of the objects I name. The computer I write on is Rosie; my old one was Emily. The car is Lola.

Do you name inanimate objects? Why do some get names and others don't?
Lurker
0 likes
There's almost a name for this - pathetic fallacy. That's the attribution of human characteristics or human consciousness to inanimate objects, like talking to a house plant.

I think that which objects get names depends on how important each object is to you. Or how intimate. I once heard of a girl who had a dildo named Brian.

Better that than your dildo should name you Betsy.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
I'm a diabetic and I wear an insulin pump. My first pump was male and named Cosmo. My current pump is female, but hasn't been named yet.

I started thinking about all of the objects I name. The computer I write on is Rosie; my old one was Emily. The car is Lola.

Do you name inanimate objects? Why do some get names and others don't?

I don't give names to inanimate objects.

Fellow diabetic here and at times my insulin pump really feels like an extension of my body but it's still just an object that I don't project any personality on. Same with my bass guitar and upright bass. Being analog devices whose workings depend for the most part on their physical aspects they probably have more character than my insulin pump, but even those get no name. Same for my bike, a noisy/crappy piece of junk that I use everyday.

Hell, even the teddy bear I had as a kid didn't have a name ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by noll

I don't give names to inanimate objects.

Fellow diabetic here and at times my insulin pump really feels like an extension of my body but it's still just an object that I don't project any personality on. Same with my bass guitar and upright bass. Being analog devices whose workings depend for the most part on their physical aspects they probably have more character than my insulin pump, but even those get no name. Same for my bike, a noisy/crappy piece of junk that I use everyday.

Hell, even the teddy bear I had as a kid didn't have a name ;)

I call myself a cyborg because of the pump!

OMG...all of my stuffed animals had names! Cheetah the monkey, Maxwell the monkey, Boo Boo the monkey (see a theme?)
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

I call myself a cyborg because of the pump!

Anyone with a fake tooth, glasses/lenses, a coil or perhaps even a mobile phone is a cyborg in a way.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have named a couple of my dildoes, but not all of them. When we had the catering business I had named the bigger stock pots. The 80 qt was Popa Bear, the 60 qt was Moma Bear the 40 qt was Baby Bear. All the rest were referred to as what ever they were. Like the 18 inch skillet, or the squares. My employees even called the ones we named by their names. When we got a good offer we sold the catering business. Believe me running the accounting business is so much easier than the catering business. Those 12 to 15 hours day lasted all year in the catering business. They are only the first 2 1/2 months of the year now.

We had never named a car before. We just called them by the names GMC gave them, like My Jimmy, My Envoy. Hubbie just calls his Sierra, my truck. But when Hubbie brought home a new bright red Acadia for me it got the name Big Red instantly, and that has stuck.

Brandie
The Linebacker
0 likes
I don't have any dildos myself but if you want to send me pictures of yours, I will name them for you.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I don't have any dildos myself but if you want to send me pictures of yours, I will name them for you.

Mine are all named Buz. (cause that's what most of 'em do!)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by noll

Anyone with a fake tooth, glasses/lenses, a coil or perhaps even a mobile phone is a cyborg in a way.

#killjoy
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always name my cars. The one I have now is heidi
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
#killjoy

Sorry, I should've added insulin pumps as well ;)

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
My Honda CRV is named Harvey. Haven't named my Mustang yet. All my stuffed animals have names! lol So do a few of my houseplants. They all just seem to inherently have names, and I just discover what they are over time. :-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well my truck is named The Blue Moose (even have a custom front plate with it's name!), Sugarbaby has two stuffed bears - Antonio and Sam. We have named a few of our vehicles over the years.
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
My Honda CRV is named Harvey.

I have a CR-V (nice shiny new 2017 model, in fact) too (hey, we have something in common besides Lush) but I have not named it. The whole naming inanimate objects thing has kind of escaped me.

However, Verbal was talking about naming his IT gear (computers and related) after kaiju (Japanese monsters) over in Rump's and that got me thinking about how I might name stuff like that.

Quote by VirgoGo
I rarely name objects, but I often think of them as gendered. My laptop is male, i.e., "What is he doing to me? Why is he making that beeping noise?"

I have been guilty of this at times.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

However, Verbal was talking about naming his IT gear (computers and related) after kaiju (Japanese monsters) over in Rump's and that got me thinking about how I might name stuff like that.

It's weird. I never name inanimate objects generally. But the network requires names for every device, so that's how come I came up with the kaiju naming convention for everything on the network.

King Ghidora, Gamera, Rodan, Mothra, Gigan (oddly, there is no Godzilla). The network itself is Monster_Island.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

It's weird. I never name inanimate objects generally. But the network requires names for every device, so that's how come I came up with the kaiju naming convention for everything on the network.

King Ghidora, Gamera, Rodan, Mothra, Gigan (oddly, there is no Godzilla). The network itself is Monster_Island.

I've had a few girlfriends who named stuff, mostly cars. I think it's mostly a girl thing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
My Honda CRV is named Harvey. Haven't named my Mustang yet. All my stuffed animals have names! lol So do a few of my houseplants. They all just seem to inherently have names, and I just discover what they are over time. :-)

Could you have discovered the origins of words Bethany? After all, we name them all as if they are animate. Our ancestors thought the whole world was alive. They saw the ever orderly stars as telling a story and showing us how to order the messy world here below. Their movement is just like gesticulation in a ritual. I can go on for book-length about the connection between language and movement people still often believe in.
Convict
0 likes
My phone is named Pearl. Oh my god she talks some shit when she's had a couple of drinks!
My laptop is named Fuckit.
My car is named Come on you piece of shit.
My washer is named Jet because it sounds like a plane taking off when it spins.
My dryer is called Fartbomb because it's full of hot air.