All Dialogue - Advice Needed

last reply
5 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have written a very short story, 2 pages about 1000 words. The trouble is it is in the form of a conversation between two characters, I am not sure how to present it. I don't want to include attributives as they would spoil the flow.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by cethpada
I have written a very short story, 2 pages about 1000 words. The trouble is it is in the form of a conversation between two characters, I am not sure how to present it. I don't want to include attributives as they would spoil the flow.

Is it possible to follow the story without attributives?. Wouldn't I get the conversation mixed up at times without the insertion of at least some attributes?.
I have read stories where attributes are inserted at certain times just to help a reader keep 'on track'. But I don't have a definitive answer to your question. Hope you find a solution that satisfies without spoiling.

Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by cethpada

Stories that are entirely dialog-driven can be very effective. I've never written one which was all dialog, although I have written some which rely heavily on it to move the story forward. Of course, I've also never managed to write anything as short as 1,000 words.

I'm not sure how you could effectively do 1,000 words with no dialog tags or attribution at all; I'd almost have to see it to understand what you're trying to accomplish. You don't need them every line, of course (please don't!) or even every time you change speakers, but as it goes back and forth for that long it seems like the reader will lose track at some point unless some characteristic of the dialog/speech itself defines the character.

An interesting concept, but to me it seems like you'd need something, at least occasionally, to avoid confusion. As an author, you know that the constant 'he said'/'she said' repetition is painfully redundant, and you know to use alternative devices such as 'He nodded...', or 'She shrugged, smiling...', or "He sighed heavily before replying...' or more complex forms to define the speaker for the reader. There are many, many ways to do that.

Still, might be interesting to give it a try. Thinking a little outside the box can produce some intriguing results.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by hayley

Is it possible to follow the story without attributives?. Wouldn't I get the conversation mixed up at times without the insertion of at least some attributes?.
I have read stories where attributes are inserted at certain times just to help a reader keep 'on track'. But I don't have a definitive answer to your question. Hope you find a solution that satisfies without spoiling.

That is exactly my point when I wrote it I used a different coloured font to keep me on track as even I was finding it difficult ensuring that the response was in keeping with the way I had developed the character.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dialogue between two people usually needs enough attributes to establish who is speaking to whom. That said, since your piece is flash length, and if the characters' voices are distinct, or if the lead-off character begins with a direct question or makes an observation that requires a response, you might get away without attributes.

I suggest reading the story aloud, or better yet have someone (or your computer) read it to you. Let your ears guide you, and if there is any doubt, sprinkle a few attributes.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Stormdog

Stories that are entirely dialog-driven can be very effective. I've never written one which was all dialog, although I have written some which rely heavily on it to move the story forward. Of course, I've also never managed to write anything as short as 1,000 words.

I'm not sure how you could effectively do 1,000 words with no dialog tags or attribution at all; I'd almost have to see it to understand what you're trying to accomplish. You don't need them every line, of course (please don't!) or even every time you change speakers, but as it goes back and forth for that long it seems like the reader will lose track at some point unless some characteristic of the dialog/speech itself defines the character.

An interesting concept, but to me it seems like you'd need something, at least occasionally, to avoid confusion. As an author, you know that the constant 'he said'/'she said' repetition is painfully redundant, and you know to use alternative devices such as 'He nodded...', or 'She shrugged, smiling...', or "He sighed heavily before replying...' or more complex forms to define the speaker for the reader. There are many, many ways to do that.

Still, might be interesting to give it a try. Thinking a little outside the box can produce some intriguing results.

It was just a silly humorous idea which came to me one evening as I was driving home from work. Part of the idea is that at the start you don't know what these characters are and the reveal happens as the conversation goes on.