How to get feedback on stories

last reply
8 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What is the best way to ask people for suggestions and feedback on stories in the least obnoxious way on this site?
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by thepanther
What is the best way to ask people for suggestions and feedback on stories in the least obnoxious way on this site?

A few suggestions:
Write a few more stories and try to build up a following. It can take awhile, but it's a very friendly audience, overall. More so than at many sites, IMHO.
Read, vote, and comment on the work of others and maybe try to build up a bit of a "friends" list. Your interest and generosity will often be reciprocated.
You can try posting an author's note at the end of the tale (always at the end with author's notes, if needed, NEVER at the beginning!) thanking readers and telling them how much you appreciate their time and would appreciate their feeedback.
Reply with a note or a thank you when people do comment on your work. It will likely snowball into consistent support.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Stormdog

A few suggestions:
Write a few more stories and try to build up a following. It can take awhile, but it's a very friendly audience, overall. More so than at many sites, IMHO.
Read, vote, and comment on the work of others and maybe try to build up a bit of a "friends" list. Your interest and generosity will often be reciprocated.
You can try posting an author's note at the end of the tale (always at the end with author's notes, if needed, NEVER at the beginning!) thanking readers and telling them how much you appreciate their time and would appreciate their feeedback.
Reply with a note or a thank you when people do comment on your work. It will likely snowball into consistent support.

That was the perfect answer. I will definitely take your suggestions!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a question relating to this. When someone comments on one of my stories I always reply, although not necessarily the same day. Do those people ever see my replies?
Also, a completely unrelated question: The times of day posted on these comments and when we are notified when our submitted stories will appear are for what time zone?
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by spinneroftales
I have a question relating to this. When someone comments on one of my stories I always reply, although not necessarily the same day. Do those people ever see my replies?
Also, a completely unrelated question: The times of day posted on these comments and when we are notified when our submitted stories will appear are for what time zone?

Yes. Your reply appears in their private messages inbox in a Lush-generated message. They can read your reply there or follow the link back to the story and read it there. You should be seeing those messages in your inbox whenever you comment on someone's story and they reply to you as well.
I think, but won't swear to it, that the times are US Eastern time zone.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by thepanther

I think it depends what you want the feedback for, Mr Panther. If you want views and comments of any description, well people here are expansively generous, so it’s mostly down to them seeing your story. If you don’t want to harass your friends (what a noble sentiment!), why not post details on your blog profile, which your friends or profile visitors will see? Or fill in one of the interview thingys somewhere on this forum. I can never find it, so that’s only half a help.

You could write where your story will be seen, in a popular category. Some stories I've written have had lots of views, others are clicked on about a hundred times (mostly by me because when I feel sorry for them). So what I mean to say is it's not just about you. If you’re starting out, don’t write for tumbleweed categories. (That’s no guarantee comments will follow, but you’ll never get a comment if a story isn’t read.)

What if people leave bad feedback? Readers here are generally so supportive that you can’t help be emboldened. I’m sure you won’t get bad reviews, but ignore it if you do. I’ve had it explained to me more than once how rotten I am. If I can still cling on to the rock face, I’m sure you can.

But if you want to become a better writer (and we all do), what you really need is that half-way house of constructive criticism. Those comments are really valuable, yet they’re the type people, including me, are reluctant to give. Two people who have said, ‘yes, very nice, but what about…’ to me (and I hope they don’t mind me saying) are rumpleforeskin and jwren. They probably can’t remember what they said but I do.

Find someone like that to read a story & don’t let them go.
Lurker
0 likes
A good feedback, gives me incentive to improve my skills. Although, I have written awful stinkers, I think I have found my groove.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
- Create a forum signature, then become active in the forums so your banner gets seen.

- Post about it on your profile.

- Make a thread in the Self-Promotion and Marketing section in the forums, introducing your story and asking for feedback.
https://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_topics56_SelfPromotion-and-Marketing.aspx

- Here's the Interview Q thread that Puddleduck mentioned. It's a sticky in the Ask the Author section:
https://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst24392_Can-I-get-an-interview-with-you.aspx

The more you write, the easier it becomes to build an audience.

Good luck! smile
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Show your titties.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░