I favor a vibrant ambiance (eg. tones of yellow) (2 votes) 18%
I favor a soothing ambiance (eg. tones of pastel) (1 vote) 9%
I favor a neutral ambiance (eg. tones of gray) (1 vote) 9%
I'm too focused on my exercises to even bother (0 votes) 0%
I'm too focused on girls' asses to even notice (1 vote) 9%
Other (please explain) (6 votes) 55%
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'm currently in the process of relocating to a new apartment, and luckily I'll have a full room dedicated to fitness. At first I didn't ponder much about how I'll be painting/decorating that room (as opposed to the other rooms where guests will spend most of their time into), but as I had to choose a specific color for my workout space I soon realized that the overall ambiance could have a major impact on my mood/energy/motivation whenever I'll be working out.

Which color/ambiance do you favor yourself when you're working out? What would your ideal fitness space look like?

Do you prefer a fierce mood that bolsters your aggressiveness, or a soothing one that counterbalances it? Do you appreciate stylish elements, or prefer a minimalist atmosphere that looks like a workshop and downright screams 'testosterone'?

Which importance/impact does a gym's atmosphere have for you? Does it even matter?

Thanks for sharing!
The Linebacker
0 likes
The red and black one on the top left.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i voted for the 'too focused on girls asses' choice smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Troublemaker
0 likes
Of the choices I'd lean to bottom right.
Coincidentally I'm in the midst of putting my gym room together in my new house. I'm going with a natural look. Cedar plank walls and ceilings, complementary hardwood floors. I'll add in suitable pictures (combo of serene pics & fitness related) and maybe a mini-Zen garden. I started out at fitness centres but had no patience with waiting for specific equipment or annoying muscle-heads on steroids. I just took the $ I was spending on memberships and started buying fitness equipment instead. I tend to be pretty intense and focused when I work out so a simple esthetic works for me, sort of the purity of body, mind, soul and planet earth kind of vibe.
I've always lost myself in the rhythms of workouts/exercise; I associate the rhythms with heartbeats or what I see as the rhythmic beat of the Earth. (yeah, I know, I'm a bit strange...)

If I was using paint I'd go with earthy colours, light brown for me.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'm immensely favorable to energetic tones of yellow myself, to the point where I really couldn't see myself painting my home-gym any other way.

I was browsing pictures of gyms last week while imagining myself in the usual edgy mood that I get into whenever I'm lifting weights and pushing my limits, and being the relatively sensitive guy that I am the majority of colors/ambiances triggered one adverse response or another. A red gym would compel me to throw a dumbbell across the fucking room, a green one would inevitably make me puke, a placid one would just make me burst into incontrollable tears. All of which being quite a bit more literal than one might assume.

So I was mainly unfavorable to most gyms that appeared in my search, until this picture instantly made me go "This, so fucking this!":

I just love how the combination of yellow and gray provokes both a cheerful and professional feel. Plus it's stripped-down (thus masculine) while still being extremely stylish (thus stimulating). You get a sense of joy just by looking at that room, and paradoxically it still maintains a massive 'serious shit is meant to happen here' vibe. Which is pretty much the mood that I want to be into whenever I'm working out: sure I'm willingly exhausting myself, but I'd mostly like to associate the sensation with pure feelings of happiness and accomplishment.

I predominantly inspired myself from that picture to visualize my own gym, and the final result will vaguely look like this:

This is the exact shade of yellow that I selected, which is a fairly 'hot' yellow (ie. with traces of red) and which I believe will fit perfectly with the overall lighting of that room (I have a rather large window). I'll also paint all the moldings with a gray metallic (ie. bluish) to evoke the aforementioned professional feel. My bench is already that color plus I'll have dozens of steel weights hanging around, so I believe it will be very harmonious. And I'll also have one or two black pieces of furniture to add some darker shades.

The poster that's partially shown isn't a joke that I'm trying to pull on you guys, I really stumbled across it on Amazon and I'll totally include it in my decor. I mean, come on: a hot girl in shades of gray wearing yellow panties, how could that possibly be more fitting for my yellow-and-gray gym? No worries though, I'm not a pervert... this is simply to boost my testosterone levels a little (evil grin):

Aside from all that, yellow also is the color of (drum rolls)... Batman! That's right, my workout space will also partly become my own little Batman sanctuary. How fucking awesome is that!? I've already created this poster with Photoshop, which PosterJack can produce in a 36" x 24" format for a mere $32. A fit guy to match with the previous fit babe, with a cool Batman theme, with an awesome motivational quote from the man, the legend, the goddamn Batman himself:

I'll also include a few other smaller 'monochrome pictures with a shade of yellow', including an artistic collage of the Gotham Sirens which I'll create myself. And a few other monochrome posters of Batman as well, including this one:

Anyway, painting will officially begin this weekend and I'm excited. Does it show?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Buz
The red and black one on the top left.

Haha, faithful to your roots Buz?

Go Dawgs!

Lurker
0 likes
Top right is awesome, but a little dark and too romantic. OK for us ladies. Bottom left is probably more functional.

Lurker
0 likes
My gym - the only one that's close enough to consider going to - is an atrocious burnt orange and dark purple.

It's the only gym I've been a member of, however... aside it being painted two colors I don't care for (don't like orange, don't like it with purple) but it's also very small and poorly equiped due to size constraints. I wonder if having a gym environment more aligned with my interests if I would go more often and find more positives in it. However, I'd have to drive to the next town to find out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thread reminds me I need to start working out