Putting your story title in all caps...

last reply
67 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Please, for the love of god, don't do it. it's a little thing, but it's one more thing for us to do - make it proper.

THIS is how your story titles should read:

Sprite Is A Sexual Goddess

Not!:

SPRITE IS A SEXUAL GODDESS.

i swear to god, the next person who does this is gonna get spanked, and not in a fun, whimsical, sexy way.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Please, for the love of god, don't do it. it's a little thing, but it's one more thing for us to do - make it proper.

Not!:

i swear to god, the next person who does this is gonna get spanked, and not in a fun, whimsical, sexy way.

This may not have been the best example....
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

This may not have been the best example....

It's a perfect example. please, explain to me, in 20 words or less, what is wrong with it.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by sprite

It's a perfect example. please, explain to me, in 20 words or less, what is wrong with it.

If it were true all caps would have been fine. (10 words)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Just curious...Why is it a max NO-NO to use all caps in the story title?

Also and in addition type question: where the heck is the 'Story Guidelines' link?It's either my screen reader or my incompetence, maybe both, but I can't find the poor thing.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
Just curious...Why is it a max NO-NO to use all caps in the story title?

because it looks tacky. smile

0 likes
I promise I won't ever do that, Sprite. I only capitalize every word in my titles, but never in all caps. As mods have a lot to go through, if I can not do something to make sure I don't annoy them, I'll do that. BTW, you, MollyDoll, Buz and Ruthie are the last mods I'd want to have to spank me.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
I promise I won't ever do that, Sprite. I only capitalize every word in my titles, but never in all caps. As mods have a lot to go through, if I can not do something to make sure I don't annoy them, I'll do that. BTW, you, MollyDoll, Buz and Ruthie are the last mods I'd want to have to spank me.

that's fine.

i'd promise to be gentle ;)

0 likes
Quote by sprite

that's fine.

i'd promise to be gentle ;)

Good to know, Sprite.WIll6KZDfPrOIOsF
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Okay, but the rest of the story can be written with the caps lock button on, right?

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know
Okay, but the rest of the story can be written with the caps lock button on, right?

I see that someone's published their very last story here...

also, while i'm at it. notes to readers are fine - i get it. that said, if you put them at the beginning of the story, THAT is what shows up in the front page - that's why we always move them to the bottom. if you put them at the end in the first place, we'd appreciate it. also, when we do move them, don't complain about it. smile

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I see that someone's published their very last story here...

also, while i'm at it. notes to readers are fine - i get it. that said, if you put them at the beginning of the story, THAT is what shows up in the front page - that's why we always move them to the bottom. if you put them at the end in the first place, we'd appreciate it. also, when we do move them, don't complain about it. smile

I did that with my first story here, basically just announcing that it was my first, and the mod who approved it moved it to the end. Apart from that, I think whatever you write should be able to stand on its own. If you need to explain or apologize for a story, it would be better to revise it until you don't need to anymore.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Not!:

It wasn’t a good example because you are telling us something we already know. You are a goddess.
18 Words.
If you're feeling bored during this Covid-19 epidemic I’d like to suggest
you take a peek at a story I collaborated with SueBrasil, a brilliant author.
It's about a mistake in judgment a lady makes concerning a friend, based
on the hurtful words of someone that only thinks of himself. Will that
conniving person succeed in ruining a beautiful friendship, or will she see
through his lies? It's gradually creeping up towards the 30,000 mark
and we’d love any votes or hearing whatever comments you may wish
to make. It is listed in my profile under ‘FAVOURITES’ as Apologize.

www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/apologize.aspx
0 likes
Quote by sprite

And irritates old farts like me who hate being shouted at. I don't even type "Get offa my lawn" in all caps.
Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

What Noll & LikeToWrite said.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

What Noll & LikeToWrite said.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

I think what LikeToWrite and I said were quite the opposite.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I'll make sure to capitalize either other letter in the body of my stories from now on,'just cuz I luv you more than s'mores fresh from da fire chased down with bourbon.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
I'll make sure to capitalize either other letter in the body of my stories from now on,'just cuz I luv you more than s'mores fresh from da fire chased down with bourbon.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
i thInK randOM capitlization, wiTh the occasional numer1c chaRAcTer tHr0wN IN, 1s a delLightfuL AND whymsiCal sytlisIC choice, anD SHOULD be enC0uraged. don'T BE h8in' on the TRUE artisTs who push the bounDARieS of theiR CRAfT.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
i thInK randOM capitlization, wiTh the occasional numer1c chaRAcTer tHr0wN IN, 1s a delLightfuL AND whymsiCal sytlisIC choice, anD SHOULD be enC0uraged. don'T BE h8in' on the TRUE artisTs who push the bounDARieS of theiR CRAfT.

I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with you. Not only that, but I’d hate to have to read a whole story written that way. It would drive a person blind, if not crazy.

Now I have a question for you. In effect, you said it is okay for an artist to push the boundaries of their craft. Why do they continually have to be pushing the limits? Sometimes the limits are set for a very good reason, and breaking them does not necessary mean the results will be better. It’s like everything else in our lives, there have to be rules, if not, then you end up with chaos.

Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite

I’m sorry, but I can’t agree with you. Not only that, but I’d hate to have to read a whole story written that way. It would drive a person blind, if not crazy.

Now I have a question for you. In effect, you said it is okay for an artist to push the boundaries of their craft. Why do they continually have to be pushing the limits? Sometimes the limits are set for a very good reason, and breaking them does not necessary mean the results will be better. It’s like everything else in our lives, there have to be rules, if not, then you end up with chaos.

Clearly he was taking the piss.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by noll

I think what LikeToWrite and I said were quite the opposite.

I agree with you. We were saying two different things. Personally, (and don’t tell Sprite I said this, because I’d hate for her to get a swelled head or anything) but I think what she said was a VERY GOOD example. I wanted to have the opportunity to call her a ‘Godess’, because I was trying to get in her good graces. I hear she can be tough if someone crosses her. But that is okay, Sprite, we all love you anyway.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite

I prefer chaos.

And Laura is right, I was kidding. I agree it would be rather hard to read.
0 likes
Quote by LikeToWrite
I hear she can be tough if someone crosses her.

Nah, just a fluffy kitty-cat. The worst she can do is release some horrid cartoon boobs on us. Yikes!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Not!:

Your avatar is a sexualized children's cartoon. Just saying. It's a cartoon/animation meant for children. And you're using an image of it with obscene huge tits on a sex site. Sorry if pointing this out is a suspendible/banning offense. But it's just a bit weird. Why, of all things is this supposed to be a turn on? I get neutral, I get funny, I get different... But your avatar is clearly a sexualization of a Disney movie. Super weird. Who is this supposed to be sexy to?
Convict
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I'd just like to say that I was taught in school to put titles in all CAPS. IM NOT ARGUING WITH YOU princess, just saying that might be why you get them like that.

Also, IMHO poems look better in italics.

*SHIT!! runs and hides.*

Quote by Magical_felix

Your avatar is a sexualized children's cartoon. Just saying. It's a cartoon/animation meant for children. And you're using an image of it with obscene huge tits on a sex site. Sorry if pointing this out is a suspendible/banning offense. But it's just a bit weird. Why, of all things is this supposed to be a turn on? I get neutral, I get funny, I get different... But your avatar is clearly a sexualization of a Disney movie. Super weird. Who is this supposed to be sexy to?

Says he who uses a cartoon character as an avatar on a sex site.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No. All caps looks horrible. I think it takes away from the impact of the title rather than adding anything to it. The flowing topography of mixed case, capitalizing only the first letter of each word (whether you leave conjunctions and such in LC or UC is a matter of taste - I usually don't), is sensual, but all UC is impersonal and not aesthetic at all.

MY TWO CENTS - I mean,
My two cents (no need to shout, it's only $ 0.02).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by trinket

Says he who uses a cartoon character as an avatar on a sex site.

HaHa That is a very good point, Trinket. You have him there. I read his remark earlier but hadn’t thought of what he uses. Now let’s see him try to talk his way out of that one.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I prefer chaos.

And Laura is right, I was kidding. I agree it would be rather hard to read.

I hadn’t taken what you said as being serious for even a moment. For some reason, everyone seems to have declared today as ‘Pick On Sprite’ day. That’s okay, she has a big heart. Not only that, but I’m quite sure she will remember all these comments being thrown her way, and will find some way to get revenge in the future.

As far as the second part of my comment about some people always wanting to push the limits to the extreme, you know as well as I do, they are out there. Some are even on this site. No matter how much someone allows them to do, it is never enough. I’m hoping that those people that feel that way, will read this and stop and think for a moment.