Login

Maple Syrup

last reply
23 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
With which food (or drink) do you use maple syrup?

I'm asking this because where I am from, maple syrup it's not a thing, you really see it only in movies and TV series over a mountain of pancakes.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a video on Youtube of a girl giving some breakfast ideas... and she made a couple of different kinds of overnight oats adding always a bit of maple syrup.

I had never tried it before, but I bought it thinking about those recipes and though I haven't actually made overnight oats yet, I've found myself adding maple syrup instead of sugar to my latte and, of course, on my pancakes (banana pancakes with maple syrup, whipped cream and strawberries... they were absolutely delicious).

So I was wondering, adding maple syrup to my coffee is a weird thing? What do you use maple syrup for, other than to cover your pancakes?

I'm dying to know smile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by justthegirlnextdoor
With which food (or drink) do you use maple syrup?

I'm asking this because where I am from, maple syrup it's not a thing, you really see it only in movies and TV series over a mountain of pancakes.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a video on Youtube of a girl giving some breakfast ideas... and she made a couple of different kinds of overnight oats adding always a bit of maple syrup.

I had never tried it before, but I bought it thinking about those recipes and though I haven't actually made overnight oats yet, I've found myself adding maple syrup instead of sugar to my latte and, of course, on my pancakes (banana pancakes with maple syrup, whipped cream and strawberries... they were absolutely delicious).

So I was wondering, adding maple syrup to my coffee is a weird thing? What do you use maple syrup for, other than to cover your pancakes?

I'm dying to know smile

So you are obviously not Canadian....

You can substitute maple for any sweetener. You just have to be careful because the maple flavor is quite dominant.

If I use maple syrup I tend to use it as a marinade or baste for salmon.

Be sure to use Pacific fresh salmon though and not that Atlantic shitty farmed salmon.

You want that deep red color, not that sickly pale pink. I also find that soy sauce and brown sugar creates a similar flavor profile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hubbie's mother gave me her recipe for making our own maple syrup. I like it better than the authentic real maple syrup we buy in the super market. It is simple to make.

2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of Karo Light Corn Syrup
Maple extract to taste (I add it by the cap until the syrup gets dark. The real extract is better than the artificial extract.)

Heat the sugar and water over a low to medium low heat until all the sugar melts. At this stage you have simple syrup. Then add the Karo and extract. REMOVE FROM HEAT. Note don't let the simple syrup cook to long as it will get hard. If this happens don't throw it away. Just heat it back up to its liquid state and add 1/2 cup evaporated milk,1.5 cups coursely chopped toasted pecans, or your favorite nuts toasted, maple or vanilla flavoring, and 4 tablespoons of real butter. Mix well and spoon out on a cookie sheet until cooled and hard. Now you have New Orleans style pralines.

If I start out to make pralines I use 1 cup white granulated sugar and 1 cup packed dark brown sugar. I also add a table spoon or so of Amaretto with the butter.

Randie
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

If I use maple syrup I tend to use it as a marinade or baste for salmon.

[/QUOTE]

Mmmm. Love maple on salmon.

We used to pour it over ice cream to make a maple sundae.

Pancakes, of course, but we also had it drizzled over bran muffins IIRC.
0 likes
OMG .... Maple syrup ....to die for.... a pile of ice cream drizzled with he sweet nectar ... OMG I feel an orgasm coming on
Marx Sister
0 likes
I'm not sure I'd say that it's weird, just kind of unusual. Doesn't seem that different from putting sugar in coffee, to me. I usually only use it when baking things. In general, foods which need a sugary base that I might also flavor with bourbon/whiskey/whisk. Baked goods (it makes a great additive to a pumpkin or pecan pie), candied nuts, one time a glaze for a giant fillet of salmon. I'm told it's tasty on flan, but it is my position that flan is vile, so I have no opinion on that.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by apptobebad
I dont think I have ever had maple syrup

I always knew there was something funny about you...
The Linebacker
0 likes
Maple syrup goes good on my wife.
Lurker
0 likes
A little bit of maple syrup mixed into milk makes a really tasty drink.
Lurker
0 likes
Maple syrup on pancakes or waffles and I once added it to coffee by mistake, I was tired and thought it was milk, however it tasted quite sweet and good. I know alot of places sell maple flavored coffee drinks so it isn't weird.
Common Sense Iconoclast
0 likes
Quote by Buz

It would go good on anyone's wife, I expect. I'd be open to give it a try to prove my point.

Maple syrup will only get more precious because of the way we are fucking up the environment with climate change. If you ever wonder why the real stuff is priced like platinum, it takes 40 units of sap from a sugar maple to make just one unit of syrup. It takes several years to get a sugar maple grown to 25 cm diameter, to the point where it actually produces sap you can start tapping. Those things cannot just get up and move when the local weather changes. You need springtime temperatures just above freezing in the daytime, dropping to below freezing at night, or "No syrup for you!" So, the window for sap collecting is not that big. A couple degrees increase in the average temperature, and you are euchred.

It's a precious resource, and we may lose it sooner than later. That would be sad indeed.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (or Lincoln, or Confucius, or...)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

I can't even eat pancakes without getting my fingers all sticky.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
There’s a docuseries on Netflix called Dirty Money and one of the episodes is on maple syrup... those Canadians are up to all kinds of gangster shit. It’s fascinating.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I make shrimp with Worcestershire sauce, Thai peanut sauce and maple syrup with pepper flakes...
*THE DEVIL*
0 likes
Pancakes, waffles, Oatmeal, Ice Cream...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you really want to experience the best that the world of maple syrup has to offer, try and get your hands on some from Croghan, NY. Comparing the offerings made there to the generic brands at grocery stores is like comparing freshly made marinara sauce to ketchup.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by NOLAHotGal
Hubbie's mother gave me her recipe for making our own maple syrup. I like it better than the authentic real maple syrup we buy in the super market. It is simple to make.

2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of water
Maple extract to taste (I add it by the cap until the syrup gets dark. The real extract is better than the artificial extract.)

Heat the sugar and water over a low to medium low heat until all the sugar melts. At this stage you have simple syrup. Then add the Karo and extract. REMOVE FROM HEAT. Note don't let the simple syrup cook to long as it will get hard. If this happens don't throw it away. Just heat it back up to its liquid state and add 1/2 cup evaporated milk,1.5 cups coursely chopped toasted pecans, or your favorite nuts toasted, maple or vanilla flavoring, and 4 tablespoons of real butter. Mix well and spoon out on a cookie sheet until cooled and hard. Now you have New Orleans style pralines.

If I start out to make pralines I use 1 cup white granulated sugar and 1 cup packed dark brown sugar. I also add a table spoon or so of Amaretto with the butter.

Randie

Try adding a couple things to your syrup just for experiment - a teaspoon of butter flavor extract and half a tablespoon of molasses. I use the same recipe as yours with those and it's sooo good! Of course, I always double my recipe. I let it boil a bit to thicken just a little.

Then put on sourdough waffles or pancakes!!
The Linebacker
0 likes
I always thoroughly drench waffles or pancakes in maple syrup, and french toast. I actually love maple syrup on scrambled eggs and hash browns. And it's great to dip bacon, sausage, or toast in the maple syrup. But l don't put anything in coffee, just take it black and on the strong side.

And yes, maple syrup on my wife, also chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, whipped cream, bourbon, and more...
Troublemaker
0 likes
Quote by NOLAHotGal

2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of water

Randie

Heretic!
Ungovernable
0 likes
Have substituted maple syrup for sugar baking blueberry or apple pies, all received with enthusiasm, so why not?

Quote by Buz
And it's great to dip bacon, sausage, or toast in the maple syrup.

Bacon and maple syrup...oh, yes.