140 replies
13.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What is your favorite word and why?

I have three:
Sizzle because it is awesome to say and it sounds good. A good example of onomatopoeia.
Hipoteca because it makes me laugh. It means mortgage in spanish
Kartoffelpufferpfannenfett because it is a really long german word that is fun to say and is a really yummy dish.
Lurker
0 likes
Cupcake... Cause its YUMMMY! and there are some in the oven... just waiting for me...
Internet Sensation
0 likes
Lagom, a swedish word. It's a word you use to say that something isn't too much nor too little it's not perfect and it's not enough. it's just there as content but in a neutral form...
Lurker
0 likes
Saudade.

check this out:

Wikipedia.

Saudade (singular) or saudades (plural) (pronounced [sawˈdadɨ] in European Portuguese, [sawˈdadʒi] or [sawˈdadi] in Brazilian Portuguese, and [sawˈdade] in Galician) is a Portuguese and Galician word for a feeling of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rxtales
What is your favorite word and why?

I have three:
Sizzle because it is awesome to say and it sounds good. A good example of onomatopoeia.
Hipoteca because it makes me laugh. It means mortgage in spanish
Kartoffelpufferpfannenfett because it is a really long german word that is fun to say and is a really yummy dish.

I love most onomatopoeic expressions. I also love the way that Germans just string words together in one long compound word. Having never heard of "kartoffelpufferpfannenfett", I was like... "potato pancake, frying pan, fat"? I'm not sure, but it sounds yummy!

My favourite word is "différance", as coined by Jacques Derrida. Since qandabear started with the wiki:

In the essay "Différance" Derrida indicates that différance gestures at a number of heterogeneous features which govern the production of textual meaning. The first (relating to deferral) is the notion that words and signs can never fully summon forth what they mean, but can only be defined through appeal to additional words, from which they differ. Thus, meaning is forever "deferred" or postponed through an endless chain of signifiers. The second (relating to difference, sometimes referred to as espacement or "spacing") concerns the force which differentiates elements from one another and, in so doing, engenders binary oppositions and hierarchies which underpin meaning itself.

For example, the word "house" derives its meaning more as a function of how it differs from "shed", "mansion", "hotel", "building", "hovel", "hours", "hows", "horse", etc. etc., than how the word "house" may be tied to a certain image of a traditional house (i.e. the relationship between signifier and signified). Not only are the differences between the words relevant here, but the differentials between the images signified are also covered by différance. Deferral also comes into play, as the words that occur following "house" in any expression will revise the meaning of that word, sometimes dramatically so.
Lurker
0 likes
My favorite word is, was, and always shall be... fuck.

It's the only word I know that can be used as a noun, verb and an adjective.

Gotta love multi-taskers!

Ling
Seeker
0 likes
Quelquefois-it is the word for sometimes, in french. I like the way it sounds and it is fun to say.
Lurker
0 likes
Lozenge. I just love the way it sounds
Lurker
0 likes
There are a few good ones I like, all in Italian. One of 'em is from Ling's good suggestion: fuck. In Italian, it's "cazzo", and I love to murmur it in Tech's ear.
Lurker
0 likes
I have a new one and I like it because it's humorous and from a funny program on UK TV called 'The Inbetweeners'...Clunge
Lurker
0 likes
What does it mean, Lois? I like the av, too, btw.
Lurker
0 likes
pudding cuz its yummy and random
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hugs! Because they are warm and snuggly and full of loves. =^.^=
~squeak~ =^.^=
Lurker
0 likes
precipitation.

just cuzzz.....

it almost sounds dirty. and clean. at the same time.

i just like rain....

Rayne♥♥
Lurker
0 likes
Anticipation.......... Because it gets me excited just the thought of a lover's touch ohhh I'm sizzling
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
What does it mean, Lois? I like the av, too, btw.

It's colloquial for vagina lol..thanks!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sugar.

It always puzzled me, almost in all the languages around the world, no matter what their origins are, it's almost the same.

Zucker, sugar, şeker, Şakir, sucre, even in latin, saccar (saccarites)
Lurker
0 likes
quark.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
There are a few good ones I like, all in Italian. One of 'em is from Ling's good suggestion: fuck. In Italian, it's "cazzo", and I love to murmur it in Tech's ear.

Cazzo! It is so expressive! Mah, che cazzo! Usually it's accompanied by expressive hand gestures, too.

I like cavallo, uccello, pipistrello, all those Italian words with double L followed by O. They feel good to say and are sweet to hear.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Fubar - a line from the movie Tango and Cash meaning Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition. Just found it to be to funny lol
Lurker
0 likes
kin⋅aes⋅the⋅sia sensory experience derived from end organs located in muscles,tendons, and joints and stimulated by bodily movements and tensions.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Ling-Li
My favorite word is, was, and always shall be... fuck.

It's the only word I know that can be used as a noun, verb and an adjective.

Gotta love multi-taskers!

Ling

LOL....and it just seems to flow so smoothly out of my mouth!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quasacaca (wah-sah-kaka) it's a venezuelen salsa
Lurker
0 likes
I have a few because they just sounds funny:

- Badoncadonk (or something along that spelling)
- Nincompoop (or something like that in spelling)

I also finds myself typing and saying the word "excellent" to great stuff all the time. At least in the English language.
Lurker
0 likes
I have two ...

Serendipity

Authentic

I love how they are said, the meanings of, and the images they create ....

B
Lurker
0 likes
Mumble, Bumble, Crumble, Rumble, Tumble, and Stumble!
What? I'm a poet. I like things that rhyme!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
whamee - its the same as idiot and arsehole but rolled in to one
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Heyy I'm new. just joined today. Anyway, my favorite word is......"Bamboozled!!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
hi and welcome scarlett!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
serendipity, cuz its pretty and its one of my favourite movies