0 likes

Paris or Hollywood

27 votes remaining
Paris (19 votes) 70%
Hollywood (8 votes) 30%
Venice (what the hell) (5 votes) 19%
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
So... working on a story set in the roaring 30s. thing is, divided on the setting. Paris or Hollywood? could use help here! please advise! smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
If it's more naughty, I'd say Hollywood. If more romantic, Paris.

Anything else you want my help on?

It sounds exciting!

If it's more exotic or unusual, Paris. What a conundrum!
Charming as fuck
0 likes
I'm going Hollywood. While Paris might be more authentic, I think you could go more over the top with everything if it was Hollywood. More dramatic smile
Lurker
0 likes
If in Paris you could have Edith Piaf, playing in the background. And French accents. And French maids costumes. Lol

Does either one pull you one way or the other?

But Hollywood you could add guns and gangsters. Lol.
0 likes
Paris. I'll always take Paris over Hollywood. Though Paris was actually more interesting in the 1920s. That's when Hemingway, Stein, et al. were hanging out there (as shown in movies like Midnight in Paris).

EDIT: Actually, I'm confused about Rachel's setting. She says "roaring thirties" but it's usually the twenties that are "roaring" with the 30s being "dirty".
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz
New York.

there's always one.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Paris. I'll always take Paris over Hollywood. Though Paris was actually more interesting in the 1920s. That's when Hemingway, Stein, et al. were hanging out there (as shown in movies like Midnight in Paris).

EDIT: Actually, I'm confused about Rachel's setting. She says "roaring thirties" but it's usually the twenties that are "roaring" with the 30s being "dirty".

there's a lion involved. lions roar.

Troublemaker
0 likes
Depends on where you want to take the story (or where it takes you.) If you are weaving in economic conditions of the day I say Hollywood; but I like Paris if it would be an unusual setting for your story. If you are actually doing the Roaring Twenties then Liz is correct: New York.
The obvious correct choice is of course Canada.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
If the story has a 'roaring lion', then Hollywood would, thanks to the MGM lion, seem a logical choice. BTW, the other town is Paris, France, right, and not the Paris that some consider the queen city of northeast Texas?

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
If the story has a 'roaring lion', then Hollywood would, thanks to the MGM lion, seem a logical choice. BTW, the other town is Paris, France, right, and not the Paris that some consider the queen city of northeast Texas?

yes, France, although Texas might be an interesting setting as well...

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
A sprite story set in 1930s Paris? Yes please!

But seriously, I feel like it's a major difference in tone.

Hollywood in the 1930s is still the dawn for global Americana, it's cultural dominance being born. Stars rise and burn, photographers burn lightbulbs after lighbulbs. It was in fact, very much a roaring place and it only had a brighter future.

Paris, on the other hand, feels different. It's seen much pain in very recent years, and the smart ones feel another storm gathering. It shines a thousand lights and craves culture, but the party might be a little too wild to be completely innocent. France's sun is still bright, but it's setting. It won't rise young again until 1968.

Just a couple of thoughts for you. WHatever you choose, I can't wait to read it.

(If you need translations or trivia for Paris, I am at your service of course.)*

EDIT: Heeeeey, how about an American meeting a Parisian? On a boat? From Le Havre to America? Metaphor and all? (He said, completely changing the original point).
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ
Depends on where you want to take the story (or where it takes you.) If you are weaving in economic conditions of the day I say Hollywood; but I like Paris if it would be an unusual setting for your story. If you are actually doing the Roaring Twenties then Liz is correct: New York.
The obvious correct choice is of course Canada.

Roaring twenties: Berlin!

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
We were staying in paris
to get away from your parents
0 likes
We were staying in paris
0 likes
We were staying in paris
0 likes
Quote by noll

Roaring twenties: Berlin!

Life's just a cabaret, eh? (No, I won't sing it. The restraining order from the last time I belted out a Broadway tune is still in place.)
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
For decadence? Either! But for culture, avant garde, and depravity... Paris!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
PARIS every time - Hollywood is just a branch of Disneyland in my opinion.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Meggsy

you say that like it's a bad thing smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller is set in Paris in the 1930s. Henry tells about his red hot affair with Anais Nin. One night, after they had had passionate sex, they were talking about how to convince her husband that she was unfaithful, they used scissors to snip her cum-soaked pubic hair and mail it to her husband. Of course Hollywood had the decadent parties, such as those thrown by Errol Flynn, where the host would jump onto the center of the dinner table stark naked and demonstrate his auto fellatio skills to his guests.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
I'd lean towards Paris, France too, but I do love Disney Land, although have no idea how long it's been around. Could have been not just in Texas either. Apparently there are a lot more Paris' than I realized just in the states.

Paris, Maine
Town of Paris, New York
Paris, Tennessee
Paris, Virginia
New Paris, Indiana
New Paris, Ohio
New Paris, Pennsylvania
Paris, Arkansas
Paris, Dakota Territory
Paris, Idaho
Paris, Illinois
Paris, Kentucky
Paris, Michigan
Paris, Missouri
Paris, New York
Paris, Ohio
Paris, Pennsylvania
Paris, Tennessee
Paris, Texas
Paris, Grant County, Wisconsin
Paris, Kenosha County, Wisconsin
Paris Township, Michigan
South Paris, Maine
St. Paris, Ohio
West Paris, Maine

Just in case anyone was interested.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Disneyland opened in 1955, so that doesn't match up. I've been to Paris, Texas, but not Paris, France.
0 likes
Hollywood is nasty, and not in a good way....Paris. Definately Pairs

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

The Linebacker
0 likes
1930s Hollywood. Los Angeles was just a big town at the time but quickly developing glitz and glamour. Stars estates were in ruralesque settings outside of town. Small time political and sheriff corruption was rampant, water scandals, oil fields, fabulous brand new night clubs, audaciously designed convertible cars. It was the recording center for cowboy style Country Western music, think Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and Tex Ritter. The movie studios were taking off. You could really do something with the new glamour of the time. Settings like the movie, Chinatown. Prohibition was just lifted. The Pacific Ocean. Starlets fucking and sucking for movie parts. It was Hollywood!

Hollywood was new, fresh, original, invigorating, creative.

1930s Paris, France. Probably the most open-minded place in western society at the time. Things were acceptable there, decades ahead of everywhere else. Glitz and glamour and of course, the Arts. One of the most beautiful cities on the planet. High fashion. Montmartre, artist markets, Baroque architecture, Rococo designs, modern art, lots of trees, sidewalk cafes, The Eiffel Tower, The Arc de Triumph. The Louvre, expensive courtesans, prostitutes sitting on window seals, watching where you walk because of mass quantities of dog poop on sidewalks, fabulous restaurants, pastries, quirky cab drivers, cabarets, the Opera, The Oral Sex Capitol of the World at the time, ROMANCE, The Seine River, sidewalk artist sketching portraits, it's Paris! Wine & champagne. They were crazy for American jazz. Party your ass off and fuck your brains out, it's Paris.

Paris, France is Paris, France!
Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by sprite
So... working on a story set in the roaring 30s. thing is, divided on the setting. Paris or Hollywood? could use help here! please advise! smile

Historically speaking I think Hollywood was associated with the roaring 20s more than Paris. However, I have a fondness for Paris because that is where we honeymooned. Can't forget those two weeks. I came home with a special gift. I named him Brian.

I think prohibition was in California not in Paris. Add gangsters, speakeasies, flappers, and the wide open investment culture pre-depression, Hollywood is my choice.
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96
Disneyland opened in 1955, so that doesn't match up. I've been to Paris, Texas, but not Paris, France.

Disneyland? That's in the OC dude! I grew up in the shadow of the Big A and the Matterhorn. Far from Hollywood, thank goodness

Quote by Meggsy

Ugh...that stabs me in my heart, oh woe is me....no, no, Disneyland is in Southern California, but that's about the only comparison. Like comparing jellyfish to Big Foot...(ok, that was the best I could think of, lol!)

Ok, 32 miles away, but an hour in traffic...Orange County is more hoity toity than Hollywood...don't let the 'movie culture' fool ya....

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
How about Havana, Cuba during the high life, pre-Castro, Tropicana, American mobsters, gambling, burlesque, sex clubs and brothels, rum and cigars.

"Havana's Tropicana cabaret has been the last word in near-carnal excess for more than 60 years, most famously during the iron-fisted rule of Fulgencio Batista, who seized power in Cuba in 1933 and presided over one of the most blood-soaked and corrupt, yet frighteningly successful, regimes of the century. Bankrolled by the U.S. government, supported by an army of thugs and torturers, and aided by American mobster Meyer Lansky, Batista built an island of fantasy dedicated to the seven deadly sins."

But... of the two you mentioned, I voted Hollywood, purely because of the genre. I think it might be a little more fun to play with, but maybe that depends on the style of story you're planning.