Long Stories - One Upload or Several?

last reply
8 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I am working on quite a long story - several thousand words. I could split this into 3 chapters - or publish in one.

I would prefer to publish in one.

what do you think is better?

thank you
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rafael
I am working on quite a long story - several thousand words. I could split this into 3 chapters - or publish in one.

I would prefer to publish in one.

what do you think is better?

thank you

How many thousands is "several"? If under 10 maybe just do it one one shot.
The Linebacker
0 likes
We prefer you to at least break it before going over 10,000 words. So whatever is a good point to end part one up to that will work. If under 10,000 go ahead and give it a whirl. Readers have a tendency to go for the shorter stories so if you prefer breaking it into parts you can. Not too short, though.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thanks - it is under 10K words for sure. Great - I will upload in one go.
I am using my account to write it (in email mode). In the past when copying and pasting into lush - I had rejections caused by formatting issues - even though in the lush input window all looked ok.
is it better to past into word - format - proof read etc for final corrections - and then paste into lush? any thoughts?
thanks
0 likes
I usually use word to look it over and proof read then copy it into lush. The only reason is because at the moment (not that I am aware of) lush doesn't have a save feature. So if you have to go somewhere you might have to start over. As for the formatting issue. Keep checking back and forth before you hit publish.
Mana wahine
0 likes
Quote by rafael
Thanks - it is under 10K words for sure. Great - I will upload in one go.
I am using my account to write it (in email mode). In the past when copying and pasting into lush - I had rejections caused by formatting issues - even though in the lush input window all looked ok.
is it better to past into word - format - proof read etc for final corrections - and then paste into lush? any thoughts?
thanks

The Grammarly extension is my new best friend. Download it and give it a whirl. It has certainly helped me.
0 likes
I write all my stories in Google Docs on Google Drive. There are generally a few formatting hiccups when transferring over to Lush, but patience and a seriously jaundiced eye can fix those fast.

The benefit to saving your stories elsewhere? You can take a snippet here and there, run it through Google, and find out who has stolen your work (pro tip: EVERYONE). Then you can drive yourself quite mad with DMCA takedown requests. It's a hobby.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia

The benefit to saving your stories elsewhere? You can take a snippet here and there, run it through Google, and find out who has stolen your work (pro tip: EVERYONE). Then you can drive yourself quite mad with DMCA takedown requests. It's a hobby.

I should probably do this. Thanks, Jen.
Lurker
0 likes
Someone pointed out to me not too long ago that one of my better stories had been adapted into a hermione / Lucius malfoy romp. It was awesomely bad. I saved a copy before having the site take it down.