this makes me feel so british!

last reply
50 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Sultan of Smut
0 likes
I'll answer for the 'Muricans in the room....
Check out my latest - a humorous collaboration with trinket and a Recommended Read
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
William the Conqueror was of Viking origin, btw. though he spoke a dialect of french and grew up in Normandy, a fiefdom loyal to the French kingdom, he and other Normans descended from Scandinavian invaders. one of William’s relatives, Rollo, pillaged northern France with fellow Viking raiders in the late ninth and early 10th centuries, eventually accepting his own territory (Normandy, named for the Norsemen who controlled it) in exchange for peace.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I have no clue!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by kiera

God's honest truth. Never seen that before. I've seen Go Compare and Compare the meerkat but never that. Does that make me less British?

i think it's all that spanish blood in ya. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Quote by kiera

God's honest truth. Never seen that before. I've seen Go Compare and Compare the meerkat but never that. Does that make me less British?

All right...looking into it further, it's both the date of the Battle of Hastings and a catchy jingle for Hastings Direct Insurance.

So I guess it depends on if you have to know the date for the battle of Hastings to be British. Personally, I would say no. however, you must love tea and drink at least some every day.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I haven't heard of this company either X now queuing is a forte.....
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

All right...looking into it further, it's both the date of the Battle of Hastings and a catchy jingle for Hastings Direct Insurance.

So I guess it depends on if you have to know the date for the battle of Hastings to be British. Personally, I would say no. however, you must love tea and drink at least some every day.

I wouldn't say it was a catchy jingle.

I don't feel any less British for not knowing any of this. Must be the Spanish blood in me.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
0 likes
Quote by kiera

I wouldn't say it was a catchy jingle.

I don't feel any less British for not knowing any of this. Must be the Spanish blood in me.

True enough about the jingle. Although my bar is low for catchy. We had Head-on commercials here (Head-on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead!). It's not a jingle but it never, ever leaves your brain.

Hey, at least it's not French!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

True enough about the jingle. Although my bar is low for catchy. We had Head-on commercials here (Head-on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead! Head on, apply directly to the forehead!). It's not a jingle but it never, ever leaves your brain.

*glares* what do you have against the french?

Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Now, this is a catchy jingle.

The Duchess of Tart

0 likes
Quote by sprite

*glares* what do you have against the french?

My grandmother was French. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

(I hope it's obvious I'm kidding. Not about my grandmother being French. That was true.)
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

My grandmother was French. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

(I hope it's obvious I'm kidding. Not about my grandmother being French. That was true.)

both my grandma and grandpere immigrated from France, so i have a healthy streak in me. the rest of me is viking. smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by kiera

They eat snails that's what.

Brits eat the tongues of larks.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by sprite
William the Conqueror was of Viking origin, btw. though he spoke a dialect of french and grew up in Normandy, a fiefdom loyal to the French kingdom, he and other Normans descended from Scandinavian invaders. one of William’s relatives, Rollo, pillaged northern France with fellow Viking raiders in the late ninth and early 10th centuries, eventually accepting his own territory (Normandy, named for the Norsemen who controlled it) in exchange for peace.

What are you? The narrator, introducing some long-lost Monty Python skit?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier

What are you? The narrator, introducing some long-lost Monty Python skit?

if we built a wooden badger...

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by kiera

first I've heard of it and I never have.

u huh. likely story...

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

The answer is 1066 because the number of the company is '0800 00 1066', and the question is what comes after '0800 00'. They obviously went with 1066 because they are based in Hastings, and so you can then further deduce why they chose that number. But you don't have to know that 1066 is the Battle of Hastings, to recognise the 'tune' that ends '1066'.

However, I would say/hope that if you asked British people the significance of '1066', most would respond 'it was when the Battle of Hastings took place', as opposed to 'it's the final four digits of an insurance companies telephone number'.

I could, however, be wrong/disappointed.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by TheAngryishLover

The answer is 1066 because the number of the company is '0800 00 1066', and the question is what comes after '0800 00'. They obviously went with 1066 because they are based in Hastings, and so you can then further deduce why they chose that number. But you don't have to know that 1066 is the Battle of Hastings, to recognise the 'tune' that ends '1066'.

However, I would say/hope that if you asked British people the significance of '1066', most would respond 'it was when the Battle of Hastings took place', as opposed to 'it's the final four digits of an insurance companies telephone number'.

I could, however, be wrong/disappointed.

Sooo moving on.

Have you tried larks tongue?
The Duchess of Tart

0 likes
this insurance company has had tv ads for years now (probably ten years?) and the earlier ones had the tune a lot catchier which was why it made sense to me. I also remember singing along and saying to my mother 'isn't it great?' and she was unimpressed. the advert still makes me laugh 'cause the bird has such a boring voice! idk, we were a bunch of telly addicts in my house!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by kiera

Sooo moving on.

Have you tried larks tongue?

Tell me you're embarrassed and want to move on because you've never seen the advert before, and not because you didn't know that 1066 was the battle of Hastings?....
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Tell me you're embarrassed and want to move on because you've never seen the advert before, and not because you didn't know that 1066 was the battle of Hastings?....

Hastings is a pudding, right? did you guys actually fight a battle over pudding. typical.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
this insurance company has had tv ads for years now (probably ten years?) and the earlier ones had the tune a lot catchier which was why it made sense to me. I also remember singing along and saying to my mother 'isn't it great?' and she was unimpressed. the advert still makes me laugh 'cause the bird has such a boring voice! idk, we were a bunch of telly addicts in my house!

this spiraled out of control quickly. it's awesome!

Short Arse Brit
0 likes

I already admitted that earlier in the thread.

I wouldn't have guessed it tho because of the 0800 number. All I could think was 118118 or something similar.

Now have you eaten larks tongue before?
The Duchess of Tart