Your favourite story title?

last reply
43 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
What story title – either yours or someone else's – do you like the most and why?
Lurker
0 likes
Oh and I should say my favourite: Little Perversions by Dancing_Doll. I can't articulate everything I like about it; it's mostly because it implies naughtiness in the story that follows. I also like others of hers for the same reason: Hard Candy (it's that mix of rough and smooth that entices) and Girls like That, which is such a clever play on words that I automatically trust that the story that follows it will be good.
0 likes
god, i'll have to think about this.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee
god, i'll have to think about this.

Great title. Needs author.
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Great title. Needs author.

Jesus H Christ.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee

Jesus H Christ.

Bit close to the bone, but still on fire.

Another title I liked was Dirty Martini. I didn't realise it was actually a drink too.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck
I also like others of hers for the same reason: Hard Candy (it's that mix of rough and smooth that entices) and Girls like That, which is such a clever play on words that I automatically trust that the story that follows it will be good.

I was going to say 'Hard Candy' by Dancing_Doll also. Great title.

The 'Psychedelic Pussycat Dreams' flash pieces by Sprite.

'Hellfire and Cum' by Frank_Lee.

Of my own stories, maybe 'Subliminal Boobage'?
Lurker
0 likes
Hard to judge in terms of my own, but I have noticed that when I can come up with a title that hints at sexiness, while at the same time referring to a fairly "normal" part of life, the story has been fairly successful in terms of views. I wonder if the mundane nature of such titles resonates in a "I have parent-teacher conferences... What if one took a turn? hmmm..." kind of way.

Examples of that kind:

Parent-Teacher Conference

Snow Day

The Soccer-Mom Experience

And my all-time champion in terms of views is I think at least a partial reaction to its title, Dress Code, which suggests naughtiness, even though just about everyone has to deal with some kind of dress code in life, whether formally codified or just understood.

In terms of coming up with memorable titles, I think VirgoGo has some doozies.

How to Drown Out Contact Passions

The Chip Babe Goes Down

The Substitute Domme

All of them, and more, such as Plane Whore, are quirky, memorable, and want to make you know more.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

You're on fire with these titles. Get writing.

Another title I liked was Dirty Martini. I didn't realise it was actually a drink too.

That was a good one... ;)
English Rose
0 likes
I love loads of titles, but my absolute favourite is...

Renaissance of the Heart by DanielleX. When you read the story the title just fits so perfectly.

Of my own stories, The Last Virgin, because it's so suggestive yet a bit of a surprise when you find out what it actually means.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth

Of my own stories, The Last Virgin, because it's so suggestive yet a bit of a surprise when you find out what it actually means.

Yeah that's really good because it immediately raises questions that you want to know the answer to – why still a virgin, why the last?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i had a series of poems called 'Fuck'. sadly, jealous story mods wouldn't publish them. ex-story mods, i should say. the newer batch know better.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me, the most creative titles come from AvrgBlkGrl.

I especially like "I Hate You." Now that's a title that will make you want to read the story.

She is a master at choosing one-word titles (like Trust)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by JefferyB

She is a master at choosing one-word titles (like Trust)

Oh yes, Enjambment is great because it reflects the structure and the content of the poem. But then so is A List of Lonelinesses (how can you not read it after that title?), and The Point at Which You Entered.

I'm collecting all these titles to steal, by the way.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Nice question!

I took a look through my Favourite Stories list to see which titles jump out at me.

As someone else pointed out, Average Black Girl has a way with titles, especially poetry.

*Song of the Succubus* is a fine example.

I also seem to like titles that intrigue me or are evocative;

like LeCygneNoir's *Moanin'* which sums up the jazz age in which it was written

or

*Cake and Boobs* by PervyStoryTeller - who could resist a title like that!

In the same way, Sprite's sublime story *Would You Like Ketchup With That?* takes service and seduction to a whole new level!!
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by KatieElizabeth
I love loads of titles, but my absolute favourite is...

Renaissance of the Heart by DanielleX. When you read the story the title just fits so perfectly.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
Now I'm remembering others that stuck with me. The Freak Inside (it sounds intriguing and kinky) and Stanley Gets a Heart On (it's a pun, but it's a good one) were two others I really liked.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Oh yes, Enjambment is great because it reflects the structure and the content of the poem. But then so is A List of Lonelinesses (how can you not read it after that title?), and The Point at Which You Entered.

I'm collecting all these titles to steal, by the way.

My favorite was Friction ... how could you not read that?
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Of my own stories, maybe 'Subliminal Boobage'?

I read this based solely on the title.

Already mentioned, but Sprite's Would You Like Ketchup With That is one of the best titles, and best stories, on the site.

Puppets of the Lens, by LeCygneNoir, is another great title on my fave list.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Already mentioned, but Sprite's Would You Like Ketchup With That is one of the best titles, and best stories, on the site.

Puppets of the Lens, by LeCygneNoir, is another great title on my fave list.

But, but, but Verbal. You need to say why you like those titles.

I've always liked People Who Bought This Item, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just clever. Maybe there's just something subliminal about it that makes me want to click it.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

But, but, but Verbal. You need to say why you like those titles.

I've always liked People Who Bought This Item, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just clever. Maybe there's just something subliminal about it that makes me want to click it.

I just went back and skimmed Would You Like Ketchup With That? It's this dull meaningless phrase that the cashier is probably required to ask, but there is so much longing behind it, and it shows up in every exchange to follow in the story. It's more than an in-joke between them, it's a placeholder for things they can't say out loud. A meaningless phrase given much meaning, is why I like it.

Puppets of the Lens is cool just because that's what they become, the camera lens controls their actions. I also get this image of actual marionettes on strings during the photoshoot.

Better?
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
For my own? I used to think "The Syncopated Rythm of the Loa's Kiss" was me being super, super clever given th story's plot and content... But it's one of my least popular stories and one of my least favorite stories I've written. So, as Count Rochefort once said, "Perhaps... I was mistaken."

Black Bottle Blues is another title I wasted on a story not up to snuff I think.

So. I'm not sure. I always try to tie my titles to my actual story. Almost like Bond movies. Where the title is said by a character or its conveyed somehow.

Maybe "Carnie Tales in Technicolor"?

Or "October Scars." That title seemed to really catch people's eye back when I first submitted it.

-------

Other people's stories? I dunno. I'd pick one from Emilia (paper girl) but she's disappeared and I can't remember any of them.

I really liked DD's "The Blue Room." It just oozes dirty, glitzy, VIP sex. The kinda place you'd really want to end the night at.

Also like Rachel's Butterfly Beach titles and what her Frank Chase story used to be called, which, I think, was simply "Skittles." I had no idea where that story title would lead it and I ended up loving it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Better?

Yes much, thank you. But Simmerdownchick is now on a yellow card for lack of explanation.

Just tell me if I'm being too officious.
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Yes much, thank you. But Simmerdownchick is now on a yellow card for lack of explanation.

Just tell me if I'm being too officious.

I quite like 'The Benefits of Living Alone' by Jen. And I ain't telling you why.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by puddleduck

Sunny
0 likes
if i get a red card, am i banned from this topic?
Charming as fuck
0 likes
The Curious Tale of Kitty Meowenstein by Liz.

Her clever use of the word curious immediately got me curious, but having someone called Kitty Meowenstein is just genius. You want to say it aloud. You want to miaow like a cat. Talking of cats, the story has a talking cat. And it sings too.

Brilliant.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Piddling With A Hainted Heart

I love words. Seriously. I know that sounds cliché, but I do. I like words that pull triple duty. I also love what makes us different and I make a living off of talking about ethnic lit, so...go figure. Which leads me to cultural euphemisms, they fascinate me--what they hide and what they reveal. It can mean nothing to someone and everything to someone else. It's about access. Piddl'n (as I've heard it said), Hainted and Heart. All triple duty words. They can each individually mean several different things at one time. Together? You think you know what they are saying but you have to make sure. Isn't that what you want your title to do to a reader--at least you hope so. I probably put way too much thought into my titles and I loved that one. Unusual, thought provoking titles that are simple yet imaginative catch my attention. It's hard to do.
? A True Story ?