What's your writing practice?

last reply
43 replies
4.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Do you prefer to write in the mornings? Evenings? Whenever?
Do you need to feel inspired to write, or are you more disciplined, writing so much every day (or week or whatever).
Do you prefer to work in solitude, or around other people (e.g. in a coffee shop)?
Do you like music playing, or total silence?
Do you have any particular writing rituals that help to get you in the right mood/mindset?
Do you have a specific place you like to write in.
Do you prefer to write by pen and paper, word processor, typewriter, chisel and stone tablet?

You get the idea. Tell us about your writing practice.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Lurker
0 likes
I do most of my writings at night Usually alone with a pen or pencil. Inspired mostly by thought and how I see things, at that moment. I prefer silence, perhaps with a shadow looking over my shoulder. I find that my mind functions better with a cup of hot coffee, to moisten my lips as I talk to myself.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I'm trying to be more disciplined in my writing. I try to write in the mornings when I can. That seems to be the most productive time. I don't have a particular number of words or hours I put into my writing each day, but I write until I feel like I'm writing bullshit and then I stop, and get on with the other things I need to do in the day. This could range from an hour to several hours.

I usually spend more time thinking about what I want to write than actually writing it. I don't often just sit down and write without an idea of what I'm writing just to see where my mind will go. Story ideas often come from fantasies and daydreams. I can mull a story idea over for days in my head before I put down the first words. Even so, I still stay open to unexpected detours in a story or moments of inspiration when some relatively minor detail can redirect the entire plot.

I often edit as I write, going back over sentences or paragraphs a couple of times as new phrasings come to mind or returning to an earlier part of a story to incorporate a detail that will become relevant later. Consequently, I tend to publish "first drafts" which I read for typos a few times before submitting (though I always still seem to find more).

I hate to write around other people, so I usually do it at home alone in a bedroom/office space sitting in an old comfy chair. I do like to listen to music as long as it isn't too distracting - jazz is good, some electronic, really familiar classic rock. Eventually, when I get into the flow of writing, I won't notice that the music has ended until hours later. Usually I'll have a cup of coffee next to me, though I'll hardly touch it until its gone cold (and then I throw it out).

I used to prefer writing by hand because of the feel, but it makes editing a lot harder, so now I write on my computer mostly. However when I journal, I still do it by hand to capture the immediacy of my thoughts.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Nearly always on my laptop at my desk, after work and before dinner, no music, but often lots of distractions from kids/cats/my Dad (I am used to writing with a lot going on around me). Sometimes I write after dinner too. But always later in the day, always the laptop at my desk.

I will, however, edit/rewrite anytime, anywhere, on multiple devices (embarrassed confession: I actually love to edit on the iPad while taking a bath). I edit/rewrite constantly. More than I write, actually.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I have absolutely no writing discipline whatsoever. Story ideas usually come to me while I'm out of the house, shopping, or wherever, most often when I'm inconveniently with friends. Sometimes a sentence will pop into my head that seems like a great opening for a story, and I quickly type it out on my phone and email it to myself so I don't forget it. I'm usually most productive late at night when the guys' friends have left and the house is relatively quiet, or I hole myself away in the bedroom where I can get some semblance of solitude. I write on my Macbook Pro laptop, in textedit or right in the Lush submission box. I can write anywhere as long as it's quiet. I usually start stories and go for months without coming back to them. I have several unfinished stories in the works right now, and no motivation to finish them.
0 likes
I think about story ideas when I'm not using my brain for other tasks (and sometimes when I should be). Writing I sneak in wherever time allows. Since I write casually and somewhat on the sly (due to the subject matter), committing to specific times, places, etc. is not an option. I use a word processor and have for years. I'm always at a computer anyway, my handwriting is terrible and I'm very slow at it and I tend to edit on the fly so a typewriter doesn't cut it.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I have absolutely no writing discipline whatsoever. Story ideas usually come to me while I'm out of the house, shopping, or wherever, most often when I'm inconveniently with friends. Sometimes a sentence will pop into my head that seems like a great opening for a story, and I quickly type it out on my phone and email it to myself so I don't forget it. I'm usually most productive late at night when the guys' friends have left and the house is relatively quiet, or I hole myself away in the bedroom where I can get some semblance of solitude. I write on my Macbook Pro laptop, in textedit or right in the Lush submission box. I can write anywhere as long as it's quiet. I usually start stories and go for months without coming back to them. I have several unfinished stories in the works right now, and no motivation to finish them.

You should spend less time, pissing about with Mandy Candy then lol. Personally, I have vague ideas drifting around in my head, I don't believe writing is something you can practise in a creative sense. Practise really just concerns the technical niceties of the English Language, that's English and not Americana.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

Usually during the day but I get most of my ideas while lying in bed at night.

Do you need to feel inspired to write, or are you more disciplined, writing so much every day (or week or whatever).

I have to feel inspired. I CAN force myself to write when I'm not feeling it but I don't like doing it. I write so much better when I'm inspired and excited about a story idea.

Do you prefer to work in solitude, or around other people (e.g. in a coffee shop)?

Solitude! I don't want no motherfucker looking over my shoulder.

Music while writing, silence while editing.

Do you have any particular writing rituals that help to get you in the right mood/mindset?

No. I do like a constant supply of tea though so my writing is usually interrupted every half hour while I go put the kettle on.

Nah.

Do you prefer to write by pen and paper, word processor, typewriter, chisel and stone tablet?

I have written by pen and paper but 99% of the time I use Word.
Lurker
0 likes
It's like cooking supper, bung it in the oven and forget it for a while.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I write on my Macbook Pro laptop, in textedit or right in the Lush submission box.

Writing directly in the Lush submission box? Can you save drafts as you work, or do you actually crank out the whole story in one sitting?
0 likes
My first draft is often on paper. Yep, I still do that. Subsequent drafts are done in Word then a final edit in the Lush Submission box.
I tend to write best in the evenings, quite late, but I'm better at editing in the mornings - if I can free one up.
Sultan of Smut
0 likes
I get my writing in whenever I'm able (always in MS Word) but would love to be able to have more of a routine. I prefer to write in the evenings, away from any distraction, with a glass of red wine or a neat bourbon. The biggest hurdles in my first drafts are to stick with advancing whatever story I'm writing and not get bogged down in descriptions or dialogue. I would benefit from a more structured plotting exercise before writing, but I'm usually too excited to start when I get an idea in my head. The cool thing about that is my stories sometimes take off in their own direction and occasionally provide surprises even to me. The downside, though, is that my stories sometimes take off in their own direction and can be tough to corral back into a plausible conclusion ;).
Check out my latest - a humorous collaboration with trinket and a Recommended Read
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am undisciplined and a bit manic. I will get inspired and write feverishly to get the bones of the story down. That can take a few to many hours. Another story will often spring from it. It can last for a couple days. I write mostly in Word on my Desktop though I have been known to write on my iPad while traveling.

The story then sits and waits for me to augment the bones or edit down the initial draft. I sometimes struggle to pick up the feeling of the initial draft. It usually means that it should go in the dustbin. Sometimes I am just undisciplined (odd because in most other things, I am extremely self disciplined.

Songs lyrics are often written by hand on whatever scrap of paper I can find. I record a scratch track of guitar and vocals into my computer. The lyric might be nonsense in parts when I want to get the concept down. For plays, we storyboarded on kraft paper on the wall. Then we would start an initial draft. At a certain point we would get others for first a read though and then a block and read. Serious editing is done here.

I do study and listen closely to how people really talk. Unfortunately, seldom is it in complete sentences.

Out of curiousity, how do the mods view dialogue that is not in complete sentences?
0 likes

I like to write in the morning but I can do it any time. Once I get a story started, I can be a little obsessive about finishing it.

I don't need to be inspired to write. All I need is an idea or image. I'm not saying it will be easy. It's much, much easier if I feel inspired but I don't have to be to be.

I prefer to work in solitude, but rarely do. When I took public transportation to work, I would write on the bus. It gave me almost two hours of writing time a day.

I like silence. I tend to sing along with music, even instrumentals.

I can be silly about my writing. Very occasionally, I still hand write on paper. When I do, it needs to be with my favorite type of pen. And nobody can read my drafts but me, there's so many notes on it. Mostly, though, I write on a hot-pink computer named Rosie. Most stories have at least five false starts (where I don't like the beginning) but I always save the beginnings I don't like until I find one that I do. I love to sip coffee while I write.

I rarely publish a story to Lush on the day I finish it (the edits, I mean). I always like to look at it with fresh eyes before posting.
0 likes
Quote by Regnadkcin
I am undisciplined and a bit manic. I will get inspired and write feverishly to get the bones of the story down. That can take a few to many hours. Another story will often spring from it. It can last for a couple days. I write mostly in Word on my Desktop though I have been known to write on my iPad while traveling.

The story then sits and waits for me to augment the bones or edit down the initial draft. I sometimes struggle to pick up the feeling of the initial draft. It usually means that it should go in the dustbin. Sometimes I am just undisciplined (odd because in most other things, I am extremely self disciplined.

Songs lyrics are often written by hand on whatever scrap of paper I can find. I record a scratch track of guitar and vocals into my computer. The lyric might be nonsense in parts when I want to get the concept down. For plays, we storyboarded on kraft paper on the wall. Then we would start an initial draft. At a certain point we would get others for first a read though and then a block and read. Serious editing is done here.

I do study and listen closely to how people really talk. Unfortunately, seldom is it in complete sentences.

Out of curiousity, how do the mods view dialogue that is not in complete sentences?

I don't have a problem with it. Most people don't speak in complete, proper sentences, like you said. I also won't ask the author to fix grammar in dialog if the character seems like they would speak that way.
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

I don't have a problem with it. Most people don't speak in complete, proper sentences, like you said. I also won't ask the author to fix grammar in dialog if the character seems like they would speak that way.

This. It's painful to read dialogue that is written out in full like the narrative. No-one talks like that. Quick tip - Beware of using Grammerly when checking your dialogue. It will lead you astray
Lurker
0 likes
I usually come up with an idea, then write an opening paragraph or two. At this point, sometimes, I have to decide on where I am going with the story. I have started more stories than I ever finished, because I like to be different in my writings. Typical C & C stories does nothing for me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well I am always brewing on some story - I can't seem to find the "off" button! I can be at the store, watching TV, or just driving down the street when an idea hits me and I have to keep running it through my head till I get someplace to jot it down quick! The same with my writing - unless I have something else going on, you can find me at the computer pounding away at my latest project. I keep very strange hours - usually until the wee hours of the morning working on a story. Seems I just get into a rhythm and going good and I have to go to bed!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I usually have about three stories going at a time, a habit that I also employ in my non-erotic work. Generally, at some point one of them demands to be finished first, while some fall to the wayside completely if a more interesting idea barges into my head. With several projects, even if no fresh inspiration comes your way, you fall back on the craft and forge ahead. Often, doing this will lead you to fresh inspiration. M. Night Shyamalan said that he didn't realize that the Bruce Willis character in 'The Sixth Sense' needed to be (*SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!*) dead until the TENTH DRAFT.

I try to write something every day, usually in the morning before work or after dinner in the evening, no matter how busy I am with life.

I often come home from work with post-a-notes of clever phrases or story turns that come to me during the day, maybe an idea for a new story.

I like silence or the TV on in the background, not music. I write in solitude. I would never work on a script at a Starbucks (prevalent here in L.A.).

My only ritual would be to make sure I write something, even if I delete it later.

For a script, I use Final Draft and I constantly print it out and write extensively on the paper, rewriting as I go, but for sex stories, it's all keyboard and screen (and post-a-notes).

This is a great thread, because everyone is different, and just reading other people's habits can affect your own. It's like when you have sex with someone who uses techniques that are new to you: you try them out and see if you can make them work for you.
Forum Kan-Guru
0 likes
I write mostly in the evening, because I hate mornings and work and life get in the way at other times. My recent practice is to load up the story I want to finish in Word, stare at it for a bit, perhaps tinker with some of the dialogue (that's not too bad) and ignore the bit which says something like, "[Hot sex scene here]". Then I check my emails and maybe read a couple of other people's stories. Then I give up and load a different story into Word and repeat the process.

The next step is to post something I find amusing on the forums, waste a bit more time and then decide that it's definitely time to give up and go to bed.

I need discipline. Hmm, better be more specific around here - I need some self-discipline! Maybe tomorrow...almost bedtime now...
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
When I get an idea, I grab a composition notebook, and write a basic summary of what the story will entail. Then I read over it, and if I still like it, I give my characters names, descriptions, etc. It helps me stay on track with my story, and it's a good reference to work with. I find that winging a story tends to work against me. When it's time to write it, I grab a cup of coffee, take a gingko pill, open up Google Docs, and start up my erotic lounge playlist. At that point, the words just flow out of me.
0 likes
Quote by PhilU

I need discipline. Hmm, better be more specific around here - I need some self-discipline! Maybe tomorrow...almost bedtime now...

No no no, Phil. I'll sleep for you, remember? I owe you one. Get yo ass to work.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I write whenever, but mostly evenings
I can force myself to write but mostly I have to be in right mood. If I force it the quality nosedives. I use the competitions to provide a discipline to writing though I often don't have time to finish a story by deadline. I definitely write in solitude although my Muse turns up on occasion. I think she hates me.
I write in silence although I often use music or images to spark a particular mood or if I'm struggling with a specific part. I don't have any rituals or patterns I use to set a mood or inspire but I often see a random image or a random phrase pops in my head that leads to a story idea.
I usually write using WORD but if I'm travelling I will use a pen and paper. I have approximately 3 trillion scraps of paper with phrases or fragments that pop into my head at random moments. This often occurs when I sit in boring business meetings so my work notebooks look like they have been chewed by rats as I tear out the phrases for future consideration. One of the women in the office caught me writing once and asked to read what I was writing. I handed her my paper pad and rather enjoyed her reaction.
I have a ton of half-finished stories that I wasn't quite happy with. I really need to work on those....
I often edit when chatting or posting smartass remarks in forums.
I always wait a day or two before I submit a story; most of the time I make a few more edits. I nearly always find something I should have edited AFTER I post a story. I've since decided this is my personal hallmark. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I will get an idea, maybe when walking to the shops, or cleaning the room, and I play with the idea in my head until it starts taking on a shape, then I start writing, usually straight on the computer. As I write, side-bands start forming, twists, surprises, I never know until the words appear. Rarely have any idea where the story is going to take me. The last one I wrote started as a lead-in to a sexy encounter but became a story in itself, because new ideas intruded, and I had almost 3000 words before I realised it would need to be a story in itself.
Lurker
0 likes

Any time of the day, when I have time to have little to no interruptions.

I have to feel inspired. Feel the desire, see the images in my mind clearly to write well.

I like to be alone, and can't focus if I have music or a lot of noise going.

No rituals or places.

And as much as I love physically writing things, I use my laptop.
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
I tend to write in the evenings, only because the rest of the day is taken up with day things. But I tend to write better stuff earlier when I'm fresher, if I ever get the chance. And only when inspired. If I'm not in the mood, I won't force it. That's one reason I churn out a piece every six months and could probably never write for a living.

Mostly I work in silence on a word processor. Sometimes the cats join in. The other reason for my sporadic output is because of this crappy habit of writing stuff one day, then instead of continuing where I left off the next day, I'll go back and reread what I wrote and end up changing a boatload of stuff. By the time I've done that, I'll get to where I was the day before, write two sentences and that'll be it. Then repeat the next day: reread, edit, add little or no more content. Repeat for a week or so. Then suddenly have a flash of inspiration and knock out the remainder of the story in one evening. Then edit the entire piece for a month or two, hack out the cruft, embellish the embellishable, tighten dialogue and descriptions, over and over until I'm sick of it. Then, either publish and hope, or ditch the piece and start over with something else.

Yeah, I need a new workflow.

I do find that mundane tasks help my mind freewheel. That's one blessing with not have a dishwasher: some of my best story arcs have become clear in my head while washing the dishes.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find ninety-nine stories, nine micro-stories, and two poems with the following features:

* 25 Editor's Picks, 67 Recommended Reads.
* 14 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 18 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Unfortunately, I need complete isolation and deprivation of the senses to write. The stuff I am most happy with happens when It's my only outlet.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Interesting thread; I like reading everyone's responses.

I usually write when it's midnight/dark out, but I'm on a night shift schedule so it's my most productive time. I like the solitude of darkness. Daylight and birds chirping depresses me, although I've written until the crack o' dawn before.

Usually when I write, I have an idea(sometimes only a story/poem title) and sit down to spend some time with it, I can generally write the whole thing if I devote a few hours to its creation in one night.

I like to be in solitude, but the coffee shop thing has never been me. You have to like coffee, for one. Maybe a bookstore, but I just prefer writing at home.

I like music...love music, at all times when I'm home. Sometimes I'll sing while I'm writing haha. I like multitasking. ;)

Not especially...but it does help if I'm focused on the story, and try to keep all of the ideas running around in my head in some semblance of order. I also enjoy writing it all out at first, then slowly picking it apart and essentially telling myself what needs to be improved, or could be worded differently. I enjoy the editing process almost as much as the writing. I also like to write the story first, and then go on the hunt for a proper image. Image editing to include text is also something that I enjoy doing as part of the process.

I like to sit in my computer chair with my tablet hybrid balanced precariously on the chair arm. Right next to my source of music, on my left side. It's the best. Either that or on the couch, listening to music from the tv. Music has to be involved.

I've written a few on paper, but as I've written different stories and poems I like to use the word processor. Seems a lot easier for the writing and editing process. I don't like something? Delete and goodbye! But I do like the traditional sense of writing on paper...just haven't been doing it very much. I write a lot at work(documentation and nurse's notes, etc). Wouldn't be too against trying the chisel and tablet.
For generations our ancestors fought proudly as warriors against the Jedi. Reclaim our armored past for an unending future.
0 likes
Usually write at night, or possibly during the day, or whenever, really, since it has to be when I'm not at work and generally when the boys are at school, asleep or otherwise securely occupied. I don't need to feel "inspired", and "disciplined" is definitely not my style--it'd be nice to be able to set aside X amount of time per day or week or month to write, but that is not a possibility in my life.

I work in solitude, in the sense (see above) that I don't have short people milling around. I like to have music on, period, when I'm online, whether writing or editing or reading the Google News pages. Doesn't matter. I have no writing rituals, unless you count "obsessively checking manually for spelling and/or grammatical and/or form errors" as a ritual, which is something that I definitely do. I do not use either a spell check or grammar check programme. Never have, and never will. I do use the APA guide on occasion.

Pretty much stuck with writing on my desktop in the dining/kitchen area of my house. Chisel and stone tablet would be cool, but there's the mess, and then of course the whole lack of a copy and paste function.

To be perfectly honest, at least a solid 8 of my 13 posted stories have been written and edited in the space of time it takes for the lasagna to bake, or the rice to cook. "Dinner", "Second Dinner", and "Thirdsies" are a real thing in my house. Thus the short word count on most of my stories.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
For me, having writing habits in the past (certain times, certain places, a certain setting - even the routine of drinking something while writing) turned out badly for me. It became a crutch and, without it, even if I wanted to write, I couldn't do it . . . which hampered my success.

So I actually killed all my habits and push myself to write in new places with new 'things' around me. No routines. I avoid them. To me, they're all bad.

So for me it's anytime, anyplace, anywhere. I have a mini tablet and a bluetooth keyboard and I keep them charged and with me anytime I think I might have a few moments to write. (I do admit that my tablet reliance might be a crutch - but that's because they aren't fully accessible to the net, therefor, they're just dedicated word processors that let me listen to music)