Login

Streching advice anyone??

last reply
15 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Hiya everyone! So I have a job that requires lots of standing and walking around but I've noticed that once im standing still for to long I start to get kind of stiff. I have some stretches that I do during the day that help me loosen up a little but does anyone have any really good ones that might kick this stiffness in the butt
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So sorry 'nessa, nigh on three weeks and no replies. Have a go with these -

Wall stretches
Place both hands on a wall at shoulder height, with one of your feet in front of the other. The front foot should be about 30cm (12 inches) away from the wall.
With your front knee bent and your back leg straight, lean towards the wall until you feel a tightening in the calf muscles of your back leg. Then relax.
Repeat this exercise 10 times before switching legs and repeating the cycle. You should practise wall stretches twice a day.

helped a lot after I popped my achilles
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Squats and lunges. ...or, just do the Snoopy dance all day! :-)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Squats are good. Mix in some jumping jacks and toe touching.
0 likes
Streching advice anyone??

No...just spelling advice (there is a 't' in 'stretching')

Sorry, we are writers here and a bit OCD

Try some Yoga

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How about this?

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Smoocher

Hey ... is that Snoopy Dance thing kinda like The HOKEY POKEY ?? I can learn to do that???

NOOoooo... and it's not like The Bunny Hop or The Time Warp either! (Let's do the Time Warp againnnnnnn!)

Quote by Smoocher

Do ya do it all nekkid ????????

Rick!
Troublemaker
0 likes

Get this book, simple, lots of pics easy to follow and has sport specific and work stretches.
You may want to ensure you have good shoes too with proper foot support.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LYFBUZ

Get this book, simple, lots of pics easy to follow and has sport specific and work stretches.
You may want to ensure you have good shoes too with proper foot support.

Haha, I have this book. Super old school. I love the "Computer stretches" advertised on the cover.

If you're standing a lot, the issue really isn't stretching. It's strengthening. The most important muscle to keep strong is the gluteus medius. This muscle stabilizes the pelvis when standing on one leg, as well as external rotation of the hip. There are a couple really good exercises for that muscle if you are intereted.

In general though, if you are standing for the majority of your day, try putting one foot up on a step (even a couple inches). that will take a lot of pressure off the hips and the lower back.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm a penis exerciser. It's called jelquing. Penis stretching is important, and intrinsic in jelquing, so I definitely believe in stretching. As far as stretching in bodybuilding, no, I'm not much of a stretcher. The exercise in and of itself, keeps my muscles limber. I prefer to just jump right in. But I am built like a fucking mesomorphic warrior, more like a wrestler/linebacker, bigger than the Rock. I can work out every day for hours, and not need to take a day off ever. I love life.
Lurker
0 likes
I believe stretching is more important for athletes, dancers, cheerleaders, not necessarily bodybuilders, but many bodybuilders certainly like to stretch. I personally prefer meditation, tantra, yoga, reiki, and mnemonics training to turn thoughts into physical endurance, mobility, agility, and actions.
Lurker
0 likes
I stretch all the advice I am given until it suits.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Haha, I have this book. Super old school. I love the "Computer stretches" advertised on the cover.

If you're standing a lot, the issue really isn't stretching. It's strengthening. The most important muscle to keep strong is the gluteus medius. This muscle stabilizes the pelvis when standing on one leg, as well as external rotation of the hip. There are a couple really good exercises for that muscle if you are intereted.

In general though, if you are standing for the majority of your day, try putting one foot up on a step (even a couple inches). that will take a lot of pressure off the hips and the lower back.

Thank you for this. I have often wondered why old bars have foot rails for the guys. [Bar stools are for us ladies, to show of our legs.]

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do a stretch that really helps my back. You squat down like a catcher. Instead of rising on your toes, you put your feet flat on the floor. If you lose balance, then start by holding the leg of a table. If you lean back, they your back is stretched. If you lean forward, then you will feel it in your lower shins.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Recently I had some advice about not bending forwards to stretch hamstrings etc - it's not good for your back.

To do a hamstring stretch, lie on your back and lift your leg, mostly straight, pulling behind the calf.

Since I stopped doing bend-over style stretches, my back feels a lot stronger. Stretches which push the chest or pelvis forward are better for the back.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}