Login

Eyebrows

last reply
48 replies
5.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Did anyone actually like those thin, one-hair-width eyebrows from the 90's? What shape are you into? Are Cara Delevingne's brows too much? Are Kendall Jenner's too rectangular? How do you like your eyebrows and how often do you 'maintain' them? Do you think blondes with dramatic, dark eyebrows look hot? Which celebrity is currently your eyebrow idol?

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i am NOT a fan of "instagram eyebrows". i think they look entirely too fake. now, don't get me wrong, there are some that do a wonderful job with them. however, more often than not, it looks like someone got carried away with a sharpie and concealer.

i myself sported dramatically arched thin brows in the late 90s - and suffered the agonizingly slow regrowth. now my brows are more filled in and follow my natural arch. my 'routine' simply consists of tweezing strays, brushing in place, filling in sparse areas and using a bit of highlighter when feeling fancy.

i came across this picture awhile ago and thought her brows were lovely. a bit too thick for my own tastes, but they highlight her eyes perfectly.

Say. Her. Name.

0 likes
I'm blessed in that I've always--literally since I was a small girl--had naturally very dark, very distinctly arched eyebrows. That said, we all go through those crazy periods, and yup, someplace in my late teens I went a little bonkers with the tweezers. Learned my lesson.

What I totally fail to understand is young women, women who would be naturally very pretty with unmarred eyebrows, tweezing or having tweezed out nearly every damn hair, and then taking what appears to be Crayola and colouring in "eyebrows". It's a look that instantly adds ten if not more years to a woman's face, and it seems to actually be popular, especially among the upper middle-income sort in my area. The sort with professionally coloured hair, fake tans, and gel nails (no knock on those, love having my nails done, even though I have to keep them hypershort).

I think the woman in honeydipped's post has lovely brows, and I do wish more young women would stop with the tweezing/waxing/threading and realise that less is more. Well, not less eyebrow hair, less tweezing/waxing/threading.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
yeap, I have them to
Nerdzilla
0 likes
I'm with honey dipped, Insta-brows are horrible. In a decade, they'll cringe as much as those who had the pencil thin 90s brows do now. I've never really changed up my brows and never cared enough to fill them in with makeup (they're a little light). I tweeze just enough to create an arch, remove stray uni-hair, and just go with it. They look like a lighter version of the girl in the last pic, I think.

What can I say? I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to being a girly girl.
The Linebacker
0 likes
To me, the girl pictured in Honeydipped's post does not look natural. That girl looks like she is going through a werewolf changeover. Sorry, but it ain't sexy. Her eyebrows are too masculine. They sure don't need to be tweezed away and by the time your 50, you have no eyebrows at all. The no hair eyebrow, drawn back in look gives one a mannequin face.

The higher above the eye, the eyebrow is, the more feminine it appears. The lower an eyebrow is, makes it more masculine. Men's eyebrows and eyebrow ridge are generally lower than women's. That's what makes that girl pictured at the top left look a bit strange to me. It could be the angle of her face in the picture, though.
Troublemaker
0 likes
as a general rule I prefer eyebrows raised in a look of invitation
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Delphi
I'm with honey dipped, Insta-brows are horrible. In a decade, they'll cringe as much as those who had the pencil thin 90s brows do now. I've never really changed up my brows and never cared enough to fill them in with makeup (they're a little light). I tweeze just enough to create an arch, remove stray uni-hair, and just go with it. They look like a lighter version of the girl in the last pic, I think.

What can I say? I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to being a girly girl.

As a guy, this is exactly what I'd advocate to girls: simply tweeze your eyebrows enough to keep them neat and feminine, and don't attempt anything fancy with them. In my view, eyebrows really aren't apt to be 'attractive'; they're just meant to blend harmoniously with the rest of your facial features. Accordingly, to me the most 'beautiful' eyebrows are simply those that attract the least attention; if I notice your eyebrows at all, chances are there's something you're doing wrong.

I'm obviously not a fan of penciled eyebrows, but neither am I a fan of thick/furry ones like Cara Delevingne has. As Buz expressed, they decidedly create an uncomfortable masculine vibe in a woman's face; for some reason I believe that mostly guys will be sensitive/reactive to that. Women might only perceive thick eyebrows as a mere distinctive feature, but believe me, most of us men really find that kind of overly masculine trait off-putting.

Just for fun, I've slightly photoshopped the last picture in browncoffee's OP. In my opinion, just a modest tweezing job would really improve that woman's appearance for the better. Whereas the 'before' eyebrows are somewhat too noticeable and masculine to my liking, the 'after' eyebrows merge much better with the rest of her face and really make her other gorgeous feminine features shine through:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Oh, and my eyebrow idol is this guy.

Charming as fuck
0 likes
When I was younger, my mum warned me against over-plucking, as she'd been there done that. Thankfully, she gave me the 'always pluck from the bottom, never the top' advice, so you keep your natural arch.

I picked someone whose brows I liked and tried to copy. Plus. I just thought she was the prettiest lass on the planet.

I'm not a fan of drawn-on brows. I prefer the natural look to heavily made up.

0 likes
Quote by Buz

The higher above the eye, the eyebrow is, the more feminine it appears. The lower an eyebrow is, makes it more masculine. Men's eyebrows and eyebrow ridge are generally lower than women's. That's what makes that girl pictured at the top left look a bit strange to me. It could be the angle of her face in the picture, though.

Buz, your ideal-browed woman...

And SP, your PS skills are incredible!
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee

Buz, your ideal-browed woman...

And SP, your PS skills are incredible!

This expression looks as if she's just seen me in the nude and likes it.

Actually, she is quite a classical beauty. Perfect lipstick and I love those earrings.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I've often been told that my eyebrows are the most distinctive part of my face because they are so different from most women. People have also accused me of plucking them to achieve my look, but swear to god, they just grow that way!

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
Oh, and my eyebrow idol is this guy.

Not very masculine ;)

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
I wasn't a big fan of the too thin brows and I'm not a big fan of the pencil enhanced thick brows you see these days. I prefer natural looking eyebrows, though I must admit that I trim mine every now and then. When you get older they can get long and rough looking. Very masculine for sure, but also very old looking ;)

Some women who have a 'classic beauty' face can definitely get away with thin brows. Cyndi Lauper for instance. On average I prefer a bit thicker though. But then again, women, and men, should do whatever they like with their eyebrows.

Lurker
0 likes
I have two, one over each eye!!
Lurker
0 likes
checked this morning, they're still there.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Natalia Castellar. Taking the modeling world by storm!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
My brow style follows Candice Swanepoel. We have a similar face shape and colouring, so this suits me best. I follow my natural brow shape but just clean it up. I do use a bit of product for definition because as a blonde, I need a little boost, especially if I'm doing a stronger makeup look. My everyday look is a sweep of Benefit's Gimme Brow, but sometimes I'll go for a bit of brow powder or feather in some liner (either Anastasia or Urban Decay) for nighttime, but I aim to keep it subtle.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar
Natalia Castellar. Taking the modeling world by storm!

The Groucho Marx eyebrows on women is not sexy, not attractive, it just isn't. Moderation works nicely. Not pencil thin and also not an eye ridge caterpillar.

Actually, if the girl in this pic toned those down some, she'd look yummy. But those are too much.
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
My brow style follows Candice Swanepoel.

I love her so much. She has the prettiest face.

And I agree that Natalia Castellar's are kinda OTT. They can't be natural!
0 likes
Deleted - the girl has a history of being bullied

Lurker
0 likes
I like my eyebrows to be a soft curve most of the time because I think that's what looks best on my face. I feel like no one should determine what your brows look like. They should be what you think fit your face or what you like! Oh! And I keep my eyebrows very neat and tidy haha
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

The Groucho Marx eyebrows on women is not sexy, not attractive, it just isn't. Moderation works nicely. Not pencil thin and also not an eye ridge caterpillar.

Actually, if the girl in this pic toned those down some, she'd look yummy. But those are too much.

I happen to think she looks amazing- she's owning those brows
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Even though I am a guy, I'll comment. Essentially I have none. I am very blonde. When I get any amount of sun, my eyebrows turn essentially turn clear.
Mana wahine
0 likes
I am very lucky to have thick, dark brows. I don't have to do much to them, I just get them shaped every now and then when they start to look like two little caterpillars on my face, but other than that, I don't do much with them. I might use brow powder or pencil sometimes to fill them in but most days I leave them au naturel.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I see some girls with eyebrows and I just want to walk up to them and say:

Give me that eyebrow template--all of them, the badly chosen brow powder kit, that too dark liner and the brow wax! Give it to me now!!!
And never, never, never view another YouTube tutorial on makeup and think you've perfected it again.
Oh! Come back here. I want that damn chalky concealer too.

Now, go wash your face.
? A True Story ?
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I see some girls with eyebrows and I just want to walk up to them and say:

Give me that eyebrow template--all of them, the badly chosen brow powder kit, that too dark liner and the brow wax! Give it to me now!!!
And never, never, never view another YouTube tutorial on makeup and think you've perfected it again.
Oh! Come back here. I want that damn chalky concealer too.

Now, go wash your face.

YES. YES!
Lurker
0 likes
This girl scared herself, when she looked in the mirror.