timeline issues / voting?

last reply
18 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
was curious to know if votes still appear on authors' time lines.

In the last few days I think I've seen my vote count go up on some stories where I hadn't noticed a vote on my time line, but I didn't think much of it, as I couldn't be sure how many votes the story actually had.

I posted a new story today, so I know for sure that no votes for it have appeared on my timeline (but the comments have). The # of comments so far equals the number of votes, so I don't know if it's a new feature where a vote plus comment will get rolled into a single notification, or if votes no longer appear on timelines.

It's also true that the timeline seems a bit buggy today. I've had multiple notifications of actions that I doubt that the person did multiple times. Two people followed me today, each apparently 5-7 times in short succession. One of them added a bunch of my stories to their queue, and in terms of how it appeared on my timeline, he added each story to his queue 3-4 times within the same minute.

If votes are gone from the timeline, that is an interesting step towards some kind of anonymity, although votes that are accompanied by comments (the best kind of feedback) will obviously not be as opaque.

Just wondering.
0 likes
This was in the Improvement/Feedback thread:

Quote by sprite

as of now, all voting will not show up on the time line and cannot be tracked by members. [serious]*

*tagged for the humor impaired

My mind was a little blown....
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

I'm still not sure how I feel about it tbh! I didn't really see the reason for a change. I certainly don't mind if someone sees that I've been voting on their story and if I felt strongly enough to give less than a 4/5 then I wouldn't mind them knowing about it. Besides it takes a very peculiar person to keep a close eye on their votes to the extent that they can suss out who has been low-scoring them. Idk. Maybe it was a big problem.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Missed that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Interesting. So essentially commentless votes are anonymous. Those with comments less so.

Not perhaps surprising that I noticed some authors dis-allowing votes very recently.

Scores will probably generally go down. And it will make the comment feedback all the more valuable. I imagine there will be more "forced commenting" as well.

I will be curious to see how this all shakes out.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
It was like this when I first started here at Lush. When we went to putting votes on timelines, the voting seemed to go from all over the board to a pass/fail (a 5 or a no-vote). I think anonymous voting is a better representation, and as always, Lush will still be on the lookout for troll votes. I'll miss knowing who's reading and sending them a little note at times in appreciation but it's probably for the best.
0 likes
I knew who gave most of my scores. I have one reader who reads every story and only leaves a score, never a comment. Sometimes he gives me a four and sometimes he gives me a five. I really liked it that he liked some of my stories better than others.

I won't turn off scoring. If I did, it would be like saying I don't trust my own opinion of my own writing. Of course I love encouragement, but a 2 isn't going to make me like one of my own stories any less.

But you're right, Oceanrunner. I would expect to see less perfect fives. I'm trying to decide if it will change how I vote....
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
I knew who gave most of my scores. I have one reader who reads every story and only leaves a score, never a comment. Sometimes he gives me a four and sometimes he gives me a five. I really liked it that he liked some of my stories better than others.

I won't turn off scoring. If I did, it would be like saying I don't trust my own opinion of my own writing. Of course I love encouragement, but a 2 isn't going to make me like one of my own stories any less.

But you're right, Oceanrunner. I would expect to see less perfect fives. I'm trying to decide if it will change how I vote....

the consensus among people i've been talking with is that they can vote honestly, instead of how they feel obligated to vote. honestly, i have stories that i don't think deserve 5s and i'm okay with not getting them.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Troublemaker
0 likes
It never occurred to me to track votes on any of the dreck I write. I'm just grateful when someone takes the time to vote and/or comment. I did love it when I figured out I could actually reply to comments; saved a lot of PM's. As for scoring and commenting on my stuff: bash away, there is always the possibility a lesson in humility might make me less of a smartass...but I doubt it!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

It seems likely that scores will come down, which is fine, though I imagine it will make for an adjustment period as people, including me, wrap their minds around what a 3 or a 4 "feels" like, in the way that students and teachers often know what a particular grade, e.g., a B+, "feels" like.

I almost never vote without commenting, but now I think I'll make it a personal policy to make sure I comment with every vote, because I do think it's nice to know who's voting on your stuff, so I'll do that for others, and hope they do the same for me.

There are very few people out there who are brave enough right now to vote less than 5 and tell you why to your face, and even better, to do it in a kind, supportive way. In fact the only one I can really think of is Rumpleforeskin (in terms of combining all those qualities well).

I imagine there will be some increase in spiteful voting, but more importantly an increase in honest voting. I've thought for a long time that the scores needed to be graduated more finely, in half steps, because my main difficulty was in the space between a 4 and a 5. To me as a teacher, a 4 feels like a B-, and a 5 feels like an A+, and there is a huge gap between those scores when thought of that way (or even in terms of pure percentages). The mostly transparent voting we just abandoned had definite pressure towards grade inflation, so it to some extent devalued the "true" 5. I'd still like to see something between a 4 and a 5, because I think there is a lot of room there. However, if more honest voting, and more 3s and 4s, to say nothing of scores below that, results in a greater sense of a system that isn't an all-or-nothing, "like / no vote," then that might be a good thing.

Of course, I imagine if more authors start requiring comments, then that might subvert the new system to a degree, though they also run the risk of far less feedback.

It'll be interesting, and I imagine there'll be some growing pains.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

Of course, I imagine if more authors start requiring comments, then that might subvert the new system to a degree, though they also run the risk of far less feedback.

It'll be interesting, and I imagine there'll be some growing pains.

historically, authors who require comments will get less votes. just how it is. i often leave comments before i vote and being forced to leave a second one is usually annoying enough that i won't leave a vote. or sometimes, i'll vote and get back to commenting later due to time constrictions. same outcome.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by browncoffee

I'm still not sure how I feel about it tbh! I didn't really see the reason for a change. I certainly don't mind if someone sees that I've been voting on their story and if I felt strongly enough to give less than a 4/5 then I wouldn't mind them knowing about it. Besides it takes a very peculiar person to keep a close eye on their votes to the extent that they can suss out who has been low-scoring them. Idk. Maybe it was a big problem.

I don't think it takes a very peculiar person at all, imo. At least when I have a new story out, I love checking out the feedback. So I'll watch my timeline eagerly, answer comments as they come in, etc etc. So it's inevitable that I noticed a score change if I had the luxury to be online while it happened. Of course if a bunch of votes came in when I wasn't around, then yes, of course, there was no way for me to know.

Or maybe I'm just peculiar... ;)
Candyland Kitten
0 likes
I love this!!! Today I received a score on one of my older poems and my timeline just notified me it had received a score...not a whisper of who had scored. For a moment I was frozen, stunned...I had to process how I felt about the change.

After the shock wore off it felt freeing...for me AND for the person who gave their score.

The benefit to them of course is they are free to provide whatever score they feel the piece deserves without fear of recrimination. Hopefully going forward, when writers adjust to the shock of 4's or even (gasp) 3's, people will realize that nobody is perfect every time and it's okay to get less than a 5.

The benefit to me is that I don't have to compose a custom e-mail to thank someone for the score they gave. I am aware that sounds supremely selfish but it's just practical...while you can reply to many comments quickly all at once, sending an email to someone that only left a score can take up considerable time when you're either on a phone or dealing with this rural as freak slow home wifi.

I'm calling this one a win! =d>
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Voting should be anonymous. All the other erotica sites are like this.

I find the scores much higher on lush but the views are much lower too.

One of my stories that is here I have on another site. In one day it racked up 30,000 views.

I think this will be much better.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Xo
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner

I don't think it takes a very peculiar person at all, imo. At least when I have a new story out, I love checking out the feedback. So I'll watch my timeline eagerly, answer comments as they come in, etc etc. So it's inevitable that I noticed a score change if I had the luxury to be online while it happened. Of course if a bunch of votes came in when I wasn't around, then yes, of course, there was no way for me to know.

Or maybe I'm just peculiar... ;)

no, you're not peculiar. i was in a rather rude mood when i wrote that, lol. but my eventual point (which i failed to write) is that it takes a peculiar person to (a) figure out who's given then a low score and (b) THEN maybe block/be hostile towards the low-scorer. i believe this is the reason the system has been changed.
Lurker
0 likes
I imagine that sort of thing must take a lot of time for the mods behind the scenes.

The reality is that on a site where almost all scores are 5s, a 4 IS a low score, even if there's no way that it should be. One adapts to the local economy, so to speak. At a school where 19 of 20 students get A+'s, the student with an A- has a disastrously low grade.

Not to mention the fact that you can't fight grade inflation all by yourself, as a voter. I know that a few people, me included, eventually migrated to a a "5 or nothing" system, with a VERY occasional 4 every now and then.

Having adapted to the local economy, I'll admit that getting 4s has bothered me, even though I know it shouldn't. It's more of a gut response of: "given some of the stuff that gets straight 5s, there's no way that 4 seems fair."

But I'll adapt. ;)

I look forward to things sort of re-centering to more realistic averages.

(Although it is true that when a very prestigious ivy-league university tried to implement an institutional response to rampant grade inflation a few years back, the squawking from the offended precious snowflakes who were no longer getting straight As and A+'s was legendary! As I've said, it will be interesting to see how things shake out).
0 likes
Quote by sprite

the consensus among people i've been talking with is that they can vote honestly, instead of how they feel obligated to vote. honestly, i have stories that i don't think deserve 5s and i'm okay with not getting them.

I agree with you about some of my stories not deserving 5s.

Like Oceanrunner (and he can vouch for this, because I whined to him), my first 3 was a butt-hurt moment, just because it was outside of the culture of Lush voting. It took me a bitching PM and an hour to get over it.

I'm just trying to think about the rating system now. Should I continue with the if-you-don't-have-something-nice-to-say philosophy? Even though they may not know it's me, I'm still not trying to shit on new or improving writers. And is "shitting on" them still just giving a 3?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

I agree with you about some of my stories not deserving 5s.

Like Oceanrunner (and he can vouch for this, because I whined to him), my first 3 was a butt-hurt moment, just because it was outside of the culture of Lush voting. It took me a bitching PM and an hour to get over it.

I'm just trying to think about the rating system now. Should I continue with the if-you-don't-have-something-nice-to-say philosophy? Even though they may not know it's me, I'm still not trying to shit on new or improving writers. And is "shitting on" them still just giving a 3?

if you look at the scoring box, 5 = exceptional. 4 = good. 3 = average. vote accordingly. smile

0 likes
Quote by sprite

if you look at the scoring box, 5 = exceptional. 4 = good. 3 = average. vote accordingly. smile

You mean.... take the scoring prompts literally?

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

You mean.... take the scoring prompts literally?

i know it's asking a lot. lol