First Album

last reply
40 replies
4.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
What was the first album you purchased with your own money?

What format was it?

Do you still listen to and enjoy it?

My first album was Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd on cassette (I'd just gotten a Walkman for my birthday). I actually bought it by mistake. I recognized the album cover from my Dad's record collection, but I was looking for a song by what turned out to be a completely different band (Superman by the Kinks - what can I say? I was only nine). I'm glad I made that mistake because DSOTM really is one of the greatest albums of all time, and 25 years later, I'm still not tired of listening to it. I did wear out the cassette, had it on vinyl for a little while, lost that in a move, and now have it in the CD collection (and ripped to MP3 of course).

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

0 likes
Tough call, but I think it was "The War of the World" by Jeff Wayne in 1978-ish. Basically a musical version of H. G. Wells novel with various pop, rock, and West End performers singing (Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues, Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy, David Essex and Julie Covington, both West End stage stars) while Richard Burton provides a narration adapted from the novel.

Still love some of the songs and became a Moody Blues fan on the strength of Hayward's performance. Burton's narration is the real highlight though, hearing him describe the Battle of Shepperton, where the Martian invaders rout the British army, just knocked my socks off the first time I heard it.
Detention Seeker
0 likes
My first ever Vinyl Record bought still very much played & loved
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My first LP was Chicago, Live at Carnegie Hall. However my first concert (taken by a baby sitter) was The Who (A Quick One Tour). I was very young.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Gun's N Roses Appetite for Destruction on tape...Still have it, but I don't think it works
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by NomDePlume
(What's the Story) Morning Glory - Oasis. On CD, sometime in 1996 I think. I still have it, still works, still like most of it. Not embarrassed by it at all smile

One of my friends growing up was a huge Oasis fan. I was more partial to Blur. We argued a lot about their relative merits, though we respected them both. Both bands are well represented on my CD shelves.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The very first record I bought with my own money was actually a 78 RPM single, not an album. It was a birthday present for my oldest brother.

Lurker
0 likes
When I was a kid, my dad took me to an old record collectors store. Bought this one. What a joy! It's now somewhere in a box. sad

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Paul Simon's first solo album. I may go buy it right now - it is a really good album and I haven't heard it in years.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Haven't heard this in forever!

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by Gillianleeeza

Vinyl in 1977, I still have all my vinyl records. I was around 13-14 at the time.

Classic.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by Verbal
Paul Simon's first solo album. I may go buy it right now - it is a really good album and I haven't heard it in years.

I've got a greatest hits album by Paul Simon (solo), and of course Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits is an obligatory part of every record collection I've ever browsed.

Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

One of my friends growing up was a huge Oasis fan. I was more partial to Blur. We argued a lot about their relative merits, though we respected them both. Both bands are well represented on my CD shelves.

I prefer Blur to Oasis, I think Oasis really only ever had one great album and that was the first one....Gorillaz are awesome too.

Ok so I am pretty sure (looking back decades ) The first album I bought with my own money was Thriller, pretty sure it was and it was on LP. I know The Bad album and Billy Oceans album were early ones i got too but I think Thriller was my first.

I know for sure the first ever record I bought myself with my pocket money was Take on me by Aha....still a cool and catchy song imho.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I got the Cranberries album that had the song 'Dreams' on it, a Vangelis compilation album 'Themes', I think, and Enya's Watermark all around the same time. All CD's. I think I was 12 or 13.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by kiera
Ok so I am pretty sure (looking back decades ) The first album I bought with my own money was Thriller, pretty sure it was and it was on LP.

I was about 4 years old when that record came out. My dad used to do woodworking in the basement of this old house we lived in, which was dark and kind of musty. He was down there, listening to records pretty loud on his stereo, while I was upstairs in the kitchen with my mom, but we could hear the music from downstairs. When it got to the part where Vincent Price recites the thriller poem, and then starts that evil laugh, it scared me shitless. Eventually we moved, but I'm pretty certain whoever lived there afterwards was murdered and eaten in their sleep by the monsters that lived in the shadows in the basement. We were pretty lucky to make it out alive.

Lurker
0 likes
I was 15 and my Mom gave me money to go to the music store with my older sister. I bought my first LP that day......Chicago Transit Authority.....I was hooked, a band that could play Rock and Roll, Ballads, Jazz....I own every album they have ever released and have some songs that were never released.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
I couldn't honestly remember what I bought with my own money first, but something that would no doubt be terribly embarassing to admit amongst such a crowd of amazing firsts from many others.
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes

my first album was actually vinyl. my dad took me to his favorite album store and let me pick something. i chose de la soul cos i liked the colors (typical of me lol). this album went on to be considered a hip hop classic and helped shape my taste in the genre.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I had received CDs as gifts from my friends and parents growing up and had also borrowed a few here and there. As such, it's tough to recall my 'first', the first one that I purchased from the store myself. If I had to guess though it would be Creed - My Own Prison. Not the coolest of choices, I know, but I was 13 and I wound up listening to the shit out of that album.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Shit. Confession time - after a large amount of excellent first albums above.

My first album was the soundtrack to the James Bond film On Her Majestys Secret Service. It cost my 10p from an SNP jumble sale.

My first full price album was Playing To An Audience Of One by David Soul.

My first real album, that I would listen to today was Ready And Willing by Whitesnake, back in their blues rock era. Fantastic album.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sorry for double posting.
Lurker
0 likes
Back in black
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It was either...

or

The first CD I ever bought was

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates