Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Should Video games be made as movies Or Movies made into video games?

last reply
8 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Alright, I've seen plenty of video games that eventually, came out with movies. Mortal combat, Resident evil, I think came out 1990's for ps1 and N64 Also, some movies eventually were made as video games. Do you think Assassin's Creed should stay as original a video game or movie of it? But also, the games that came out as movies always seemed to disappoint except for resident evil, I do want to see Assassin's creed the movie, but not sure if should keep my hopes up. I think Video game has more of a better story.

So should a movie be made into a video game? Yes,or No. Or Should a video game be made into a movie eventually?
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
I'd love to see Jeff Goldblum in Pong the movie.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There are countless example of movies that were given video game adaptations where the gameplay was atrocious or had little to do with the source material. Similarly, video games have been turned into feature length films to horrendous results. However, there exist many examples where the switch has been done well. I think that certain stories and characters lend themselves better to both mediums but that most are best left alone.

That being said, I think it is easier to go from the big screen to the console than it is the other way around.

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I don't know, I don't think so, most of the time they end up not being very good and leaves fans unhappy.
Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
I just can't see how making a movie adaptation of my favourite games would be thrilling, when you lose a lot of the story (functionality of the way a game is played) by turning it into a movie. I admit a love the cut scene in the RPGs I have played and I think they do an amazing job but they are not really movie material. I'd be happy to reconsider it for something that piqued my interest but just can't see it. Then again I'm not as widely played as others. As for movies to games I've always found that a little bizarre, as in where do you have for this game to go, we all know what happens... I don't think a game brings anything new enough as a medium to warrant the time and likely criticisms of an adaptation. That said there are people that are so passionately into something or franchise in particular that it would be worth it from an economic or money making perspective?

I was thinking I would actually love an adaptation of heavy rain. The problem being it had so many different options in it that how would an adaptation really work? I haven't played it (best game I never played) but watched it played start to finished and thought it was amazing, I would definitely see the film. I cannot think of any others off of the top of my head though.
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sweetsinner
I just can't see how making a movie adaptation of my favourite games would be thrilling, when you lose a lot of the story (functionality of the way a game is played) by turning it into a movie. I admit a love the cut scene in the RPGs I have played and I think they do an amazing job but they are not really movie material. I'd be happy to reconsider it for something that piqued my interest but just can't see it. Then again I'm not as widely played as others. As for movies to games I've always found that a little bizarre, as in where do you have for this game to go, we all know what happens... I don't think a game brings anything new enough as a medium to warrant the time and likely criticisms of an adaptation. That said there are people that are so passionately into something or franchise in particular that it would be worth it from an economic or money making perspective?

Good point. I don't imagine that most games would translate to a film narrative all that well. For many games the story comes from the imagination the player puts into the character as they control them through the environment.
I think movie-to-game fails as often as it does because the developers are trying to mold the game to the story at the sacrifice of gameplay. "The character does this in the movie. How about we make the player do that over and over and over again? People would buy that, right?"

I can’t think of a good tagline so this will have to do. Suggest a better one for me?

Sinner so Sweet
0 likes
Quote by hopp3r

Good point. I don't imagine that most games would translate to a film narrative all that well. For many games the story comes from the imagination the player puts into the character as they control them through the environment.
I think movie-to-game fails as often as it does because the developers are trying to mold the game to the story at the sacrifice of gameplay. "The character does this in the movie. How about we make the player do that over and over and over again? People would buy that, right?"

Exactly! Perhaps what I was thinking about are bad examples but for illustrations' sake, my favourites are the Dragon Age series. With six different origins stories in the original game, how would you decide which story to go with? And the different choices that can be made? Even some things as small as the romantic partnerships that can be made in the game - which may serve to appease an individual's own sexual orientation - are lost when generating a plot line for one story represented within a movie. The original DA also had four possible outcomes, it would be a relatively large sacrifice to only bring one of those to life.

I understand (now that I have actually watched the trailer) that the Assassin's Creed film has no real basis on any of the games and perhaps only a loose connection in layout and themes, so it takes some creative license of its own and perhaps game-movie could see some success like this but I still argue that without being able to take control of your character and the choice you make within a game that for many this could be something so easily misrepresented and become disappointing. Maybe games that are more structured in that they follow a sequential order that is not so dependent on choices to form an outcome it could work better.

As for movie-game, other than the Lego series (which I won't criticise as they are far more of a casual game and I play with my children), I don't think I have actually played any. I can see the value in wanting to live out the story of something you have really loved in film format, but I do completely agree with you in that I think there would be so little flexibility in order to appropriately adapt that it would compromise the enjoyment of gameplay as everything would become so rote and predictable (as we so often see as a criticism of book-film adaptations!)

I know I've rambled a lot already, I guess the only other thing I can think of is, disregarding all of the potential negatives, a plausible reason to go the adaptation route is that anything on a new medium has the capacity to generate interest amongst a different demographic they may not have previously captured. If I go and see Assassins Creed and enjoy it, I may then be compelled to buy the games (I do actually have them, though, just saying ?). If I play Shadows of Mordor and (for some bizarre reason) have never seen or read LOTR, I may be compelled to buy or read. It's the only argument I have for all the damn remakes too.
My latest offering: Intoxicated ~ An Erotic Poem.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sweetsinner

Exactly! Perhaps what I was thinking about are bad examples but for illustrations' sake, my favourites are the Dragon Age series. With six different origins stories in the original game, how would you decide which story to go with? And the different choices that can be made? Even some things as small as the romantic partnerships that can be made in the game - which may serve to appease an individual's own sexual orientation - are lost when generating a plot line for one story represented within a movie. The original DA also had four possible outcomes, it would be a relatively large sacrifice to only bring one of those to life.

I understand (now that I have actually watched the trailer) that the Assassin's Creed film has no real basis on any of the games and perhaps only a loose connection in layout and themes, so it takes some creative license of its own and perhaps game-movie could see some success like this but I still argue that without being able to take control of your character and the choice you make within a game that for many this could be something so easily misrepresented and become disappointing. Maybe games that are more structured in that they follow a sequential order that is not so dependent on choices to form an outcome it could work better.

As for movie-game, other than the Lego series (which I won't criticise as they are far more of a casual game and I play with my children), I don't think I have actually played any. I can see the value in wanting to live out the story of something you have really loved in film format, but I do completely agree with you in that I think there would be so little flexibility in order to appropriately adapt that it would compromise the enjoyment of gameplay as everything would become so rote and predictable (as we so often see as a criticism of book-film adaptations!)

I know I've rambled a lot already, I guess the only other thing I can think of is, disregarding all of the potential negatives, a plausible reason to go the adaptation route is that anything on a new medium has the capacity to generate interest amongst a different demographic they may not have previously captured. If I go and see Assassins Creed and enjoy it, I may then be compelled to buy the games (I do actually have them, though, just saying ?). If I play Shadows of Mordor and (for some bizarre reason) have never seen or read LOTR, I may be compelled to buy or read. It's the only argument I have for all the damn remakes too.

All very well put. There are so many inherent difficulties with crossing mediums that the potential to have aspects of the story become lost in translation is quite high. However the prospect of introducing new fans to a work through new adaptations is certainly a huge upside. There is always the potential for the cliché that falls on book-to-screen works (i.e. “the book was better”) to follow suit here but I would argue that it’s worth the risk if done properly by following the spirit of the work instead of a literal point-by-point transfer. I can see how the loose connection of the Assassin’s Creed films would be to their benefit and hopefully it winds up being an example of the genre done right.

The upside of poor games from films and vice versa would be the hilariously bad results. E.T. the game and Super Mario Brothers the movie certainly come to mind with both a cringe and a smile. There’s also the crème de la crème of bad adaptations in the form of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, a bad videogame based on a bad movie which was based on a videogame. I could go on but I digress.

I’ve found that the best movie games are the ones that take the source material but also manage to do something unique with it. The Lego series is a great example and many of the films they cover have some of the better videogame tie-ins to the films (Batman, Star Wars, etc). James Bond is a series that lends itself well to consoles as are some action and science fiction titles. It’s a shame that drama, romance, and mystery flicks don’t lend themselves to quality gameplay because there’s a number of personal favorite films that I would love to experience in the first person.

Multi-path stories would be difficult to adapt and I agree with you there. I imagine it would be like attempting to make one of those choose-your-own-adventure books into a movie. Would the audience vote for choices at certain points in the film? Would that even still be considered a movie in the traditional sense? And what about when the crowd chooses differently? How might the experience be ruined by not being able to enjoy one’s ideal progression? The list of rhetorical questions feels never ending. I personally love games that provide the sense that the eventual ending is one that I chose or sought.