When Writing Chapters in a story?

last reply
7 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
When I write a story that has chapters in them, Is it okay to name the chapters sometimes instead of just calling it Chapter 1 or 2? Can I give the chapter 1 and also the name of the chapter describing what the chapter will be about? So, readers will understand what the chapter will be based on? I have seen in novels, that sometimes chapters have sections in them before starting a new one. like the name of the author at the top on one page and the name, of the chapter on the other. Also, can I give the chapters in novel type story Chapter 2 part 1 and part 2 for example; deception for chapter name. Is it okay, on lush to split your chapters into two parts? Depending on how long they are? sometimes mine is usually over 2000 words, around 3000 ones. Cause I do write the development into the chapter instead of just rushing the quick/sex scene, don't worry. I do put sex scenes in them, I like luring readers into the story. I guess. It's comfortable and my way of writing, everyone has that I guess. I know not everyone likes those of kind of stories.

Also Just wanted to know. How explicit or vulgar can a female character be? How she thinks, talks, acts, and does swear quite a bit? example Lisa thought to herself, { God, damn It! I hate my fucking colleagues. I work my fucking ass of for this company. I get no thanks for it or a pat on the back. They all see me as a slut that got here based on my appearance. Not for what my work ethic is.}

that wasn't harsh for a female character's thoughts, was it?
Mana wahine
0 likes
You can give your chapters names. Perhaps in the title you could put Chapter One, and then in bold letters where the body of the story is, have the name of the chapter and then start the story? And yes, chapters can be split into two parts. People will sometimes go 'chapter 2.0' or something like that to distinguish a first part of a split story.

Characters can be made to be however you want, so long as it fits within site guidelines.

Happy writing.
Lurker
0 likes
I give my chapters names in lots of my stories.

Example:

Chapter 5 -- Jimmy Loses His V-Plates.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Also, one more thing Could I write a character out of the story, Not killing one off. But doing it like this, for example, Jamiee got a call from the head office that she is being transferred to another company. And a New boss/Manager is being assigned as her replacement. Then you start working on the new character when Jamie leaves the story. Would some readers get confused by that or pissed off? Since some may be invested or Like the character was originally designed for the story.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by InnocentBliss87

When I write a story that has chapters in them, Is it okay to name the chapters sometimes instead of just calling it Chapter 1 or 2? Can I give the chapter 1 and also the name of the chapter describing what the chapter will be about?

There's a 'one liner' field to describe the contents of each story (or chapter). I think it's better to keep the same consistent title throughout all your stories. For example, Bliss Story Chapter 1 of 10, Bliss Story Chapter 2 of 10. There was another thread here about whether you should publish as you go, or wait until the entire story is finished. I'd say wait until it's all done, and then publish all the chapters as quickly as possible. If you want to individually title each chapter, that might work better as a header within the body of the text.

Quote by InnocentBliss87
Also, can I give the chapters in novel type story Chapter 2 part 1 and part 2 for example; deception for chapter name. Is it okay, on lush to split your chapters into two parts? Depending on how long they are? sometimes mine is usually over 2000 words, around 3000 ones.

The word limit for stories on this site is 10 000. I think if you can fit it into that limit, it should be published as a single story. I sometimes get annoyed by authors who needlessly publish a bunch of micro-episodes. It creates complications with navigating the story, and also a lot of pointless clutter on the site.

Quote by InnocentBliss87
Cause I do write the development into the chapter instead of just rushing the quick/sex scene, don't worry. I do put sex scenes in them, I like luring readers into the story.

That's great! I wish more authors would take the time to develop a story, characters, etc. Like I said, you've got 10 000 words to work with so don't feel like you have to get it all over with in 2000 or 3000.

Quote by InnocentBliss87
Also Just wanted to know. How explicit or vulgar can a female character be? How she thinks, talks, acts, and does swear quite a bit? example Lisa thought to herself, { God, damn It! I hate my fucking colleagues. I work my fucking ass of for this company. I get no thanks for it or a pat on the back. They all see me as a slut that got here based on my appearance. Not for what my work ethic is.} that wasn't harsh for a female character's thoughts, was it?

If that's the worst you've got, I think you'll be fine.

Quote by InnocentBliss87
Also, one more thing Could I write a character out of the story, Not killing one off. But doing it like this, for example, Jamiee got a call from the head office that she is being transferred to another company. And a New boss/Manager is being assigned as her replacement. Then you start working on the new character when Jamie leaves the story. Would some readers get confused by that or pissed off? Since some may be invested or Like the character was originally designed for the story.

It's your story. You can do what you want with your characters. Transfer them, kill them, have them abducted by aliens, it's up to you. Instead of worrying about what the audience wants, write for yourself first. Write the kind of story you'd want to read. If you feel you've entertained yourself, chances are, your story will find its audience.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

It's your story. You can do what you want with your characters. Transfer them, kill them, have them abducted by aliens, it's up to you. Instead of worrying about what the audience wants, write for yourself first. Write the kind of story you'd want to read. If you feel you've entertained yourself, chances are, your story will find its audience.

Actually, it is mostly the Male readers that are kinda bitchy about my stories sometimes. Either some are too impatient for the sex scenes or want the sex scene right off the bat. I am sure they've read in novels, some don't put many sex scenes right away until maybe chapter 4/5 even. The male readers are always quick to critic me. Women readers are not too bad. Some female seem to think my stories are good cause it's me writing them. I do tell them not to be biased cause they are friends with me. They wouldn't do it to any other writer.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by InnocentBliss87
Actually, it is mostly the Male readers that are kinda bitchy about my stories sometimes. Either some are too impatient for the sex scenes or want the sex scene right off the bat. I am sure they've read in novels, some don't put many sex scenes right away until maybe chapter 4/5 even. The male readers are always quick to critic me. Women readers are not too bad. Some female seem to think my stories are good cause it's me writing them. I do tell them not to be biased cause they are friends with me. They wouldn't do it to any other writer.

For me, I approach publishing as an act of sharing, not an act of service. I'm not being paid by the readers or the site to publish my stories here, and therefore, I don't feel a particular obligation to give the people what they want. Anyone who is bitchy about the direction I take my stories (male, female, trans, or whatever) can fuck off, as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of stories on the site for people who just want a quick and dirty sex scene. I try to do more with my stories. They may not all be successful, but I've never published anything that I wouldn't want to read myself, and they all seem to find readers who appreciate them the way I do.

That said, I'm always happy to get a reader's personal reactions to a story. Like I said in another post somewhere in the forums, 'don't tell me what to do, tell me what I do for you.' On the other side, I usually only give advice when it's asked for (like responding to this thread, or in private). Otherwise, I'm in the 'if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all' camp. It sucks when people come unsolicited and just shit all over your story (and I agree, male readers seem to do this more often than females.)

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

For me, I approach publishing as an act of sharing, not an act of service. I'm not being paid by the readers or the site to publish my stories here, and therefore, I don't feel a particular obligation to give the people what they want. Anyone who is bitchy about the direction I take my stories (male, female, trans, or whatever) can fuck off, as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of stories on the site for people who just want a quick and dirty sex scene. I try to do more with my stories. They may not all be successful, but I've never published anything that I wouldn't want to read myself, and they all seem to find readers who appreciate them the way I do.

That said, I'm always happy to get a reader's personal reactions to a story. Like I said in another post somewhere in the forums, 'don't tell me what to do, tell me what I do for you.' On the other side, I usually only give advice when it's asked for (like responding to this thread, or in private). Otherwise, I'm in the 'if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all' camp. It sucks when people come unsolicited and just shit all over your story (and I agree, male readers seem to do this more often than females.)

That's pretty decent of you, not all men do that just a scatter one, will help someone out. That being said about critics some women do it sometimes too, but only if some are being trolls haha. Like they would score/rate your story on purpose to give you a bad rating. I know my stories are not for everyone's taste. I mean I am no ace author or professional. I mostly do it for fun and a hobby. The truth is I never ever started writing any story until I came here to lush. About three years ago. Saw everyone publishing writing stories. So, decided to say screw it I'll try my luck and see what happens. Didn't really think I would be any good at writing anything. I haven't written anything since 2004/05 When I finished high school. I did read few times. It was here that I wanted to start writing. I would always have story in my head, have everything planned out. But when time to write/type I'd loose what i had planned, then writer's block etc. or something else get's my attenion. haha