Illegal Downloads of Music

last reply
15 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Illegal downloads of musical files will cost a Minnesota woman $1.9 million, a jury has decided.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the RIIA was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions.

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

$80,000 for each song seems a bit much to me. Geez, you could buy an entire recording studio for that amount!
Lurker
0 likes
Geez makes buying CDs seem cheap now. My kind of luck they would catch me.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
well, it's for the pain and suffering for the musicians...that gets their music out.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm with you all the way cat, I mean whats the suffering of one man, his wife and four children, compaired to the anguish that multi-millionare musicians suffer from losing a few quid?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
LOL....Call me a moron or whatever but what's a few quid?
Lurker
0 likes
Scapegoat City.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
huh?
Lurker
0 likes
I'm saying the industry made a scapegoat out of her, fystee. I'm sure there are people who download hundreds of songs a week; far more than she ever did, but she got caught.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by fystee

A quid is English slang for one pound sterling, £1.

1.00 GBP = 1.65379 USD
United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.65379 USD 1 USD = 0.604670 GBP
Internet Sensation
0 likes
Afterall you don't see the small musicians or record companies doing this, do you?
They probably already got the idea that it's bad publicity. (and probably can't afford to risk loosing in court)

And a few quid is food on the table, Fystee.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Quote by fystee

A quid is English slang for one pound sterling, £1.

1.00 GBP = 1.65379 USD
United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.65379 USD 1 USD = 0.604670 GBP

Thanks nic!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by roccotool
I'm saying the industry made a scapegoat out of her, fystee. I'm sure there are people who download hundreds of songs a week; far more than she ever did, but she got caught.

Yes....Sorry Rocco...lol....had myself a blonde moment there (no offense to all of the blondes out there)!!!!

The sad fact is that she was caught! And she is being used as a lesson to all others who choose to download music illegally and it is sad because she probably never realized the consequences would be so harsh!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was going to the US last year with a couple of disks of "shared" music files and - after hearing about the earlier case - decided to leave them at home. I know my travel insurance wouldn't cover the cost of that court case.
Lurker
0 likes
IMHO, the record companies and movie companies should be going after the fools that download or copy illegally to make a profit. It's like bootlegged T-shirt makers. They make moola off the back of the artist.
Leave the "casual downloader" alone. What's the difference if I legally rent a movie for a week, watching it 5 times, and copying the same legally-rented movie, seeing it 5 times in two years?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Exactly Rocco! They are going after the wrong people! It's just ridiculous!