Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How do you feel about tragic/unhappy endings?

last reply
34 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm writing a new story which may fit into the love stories category and want to take a risk. As in a break up of sorts leaving off in a cliffhanger at the end of the story. Is this a bad idea? If you were reading, would you like the ending, or hate it? Would it just kill the mood entirely and make you reluctant to read more of the story? Or would it do the opposite and make you want to continue reading to find out if the lovers ever get back together? Do you care about these things when reading erotica, or just want hot sex scenes and not to get bummed out?

The last thing I'd want to do is make readers lose interest in my story on the very last line.

Could use some help and opinions. Thank you in advance smile
Lurker
0 likes
For what it's worth, I've found that it's best to tell the story you want to tell. It may not get as much attention or views or whatever, but it can still be deeply satisfying. Possibly my favorite story that I've written here is "Last Tango With Malena," (shameless self-promotion: https://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/last-tango-with-malena.aspx), which featured relatively little sex, described in generally terms more R-rated than X. It didn't get a ton of views, and I probably knew that when I wrote it (although I hoped...), but I'm happy with it.

I like being able to re-read a story of mine some time later, after it's not as immediate, and think, "Yeah, I still like this." After all, if it doesn't work for *me*, why the heck did I write it?

To answer your question more specifically, all I can do is to say that for me, it depends. Did I like the story? Do I find the characters intriguing? Was the hot sex interesting? Did it make sense to me?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, I think if I didn't include that ending I would still be happy with my story. It was just a "what if" that popped into my head.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to check out your story. smile
Lurker
0 likes
I should also point out that my most viewed, voted and commented-on story ends with a sort of cliffhanger. I think I followed it up with part 2 fairly quickly, but still, the cliffhanger didn't seem to deter folks, if that's a worry.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner
For what it's worth, I've found that it's best to tell the story you want to tell.

What he said. Don't worry about the reader, just write the best story you can. I don't mind sad endings. Sometimes I feel cheated if a happy ending appears out of the blue.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't think a breakup is that tragic, if it is done as a means to carry over to the next chapter. A lot of writers write multiple part stories (I don't) and although I don't read them, I'd think they'd have to have some type of cliff hanger. But as the others said, write what you like. There's no way of knowing how many people will like it, no matter which way you go. Two of my personal favorites of the stories I've published have had the lowest readership. I have no idea why they didn't attract readers. If you're interested, they are: Shackles and Kisses and An Aegean Vacation.
Convict
0 likes
The first piece of advice a lush writer gave me was "readers don't like unhappy endings." I was very grateful for the advice but I've found it to be the opposite. I write poetry mostly because that's what I prefer and I find it much easier to write.

Some of the most popular poems I've written were. Dark, sad, heartbreak, anger loss etc. readers tell me it's because I make them "feel" some type of emotion which is great because that's what I try to do. I love it when I make people cry. For me it's a huge compliment.

My point is, write what comes to you and write it how you feel it. You can still write an erotic/story poem no matter what type of ending you give it. If it's happy, sad, funny or tragic there's going to be at least a few people who like it. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
For me....if a writer can write a story that keeps me engaged....it doesn't matter what the story line is.

There are stories here that may not be written from the more popular writers that keep me very entertained. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I say do whatever you like. A cliff hanger or a tragic detail is always enjoyable...however...make sure you write your story close to the other one. If you wait to long....YOU WILL lose readers. They will forget what the cliff hanger or tragic detail was.

I look forward to reading your story and seeing what way you decided to go.

Good luck and happy writing...

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner
For what it's worth, I've found that it's best to tell the story you want to tell. It may not get as much attention or views or whatever, but it can still be deeply satisfying.

Yeah, I agree with this, too. Don't ask permission from your audience to write what you want. Have some AUTHORity over the stories you tell, and then let the readers deal with it. Most of my stories may not be huge successes (in terms of having hundreds of thousands of votes or getting official recommendations), but they each to seem to find some audience that appreciates them.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
As a reader, I prefer a strong dose of reality in a story. I prefer that the writer aim for unique characters and therefore unique storylines. In reality, even the best, most romantic circumstances have bad outcomes sometimes. Be true to your story and don't subjugate your creative self to the reader. The last thing you want is a story that is predictable after just the first few paragraphs. Love isn't always neatly packaged, and that genre should reflect that. "Your" audience will find you if you are consistently yourself and not constantly shifting in pursuit of popularity. Concentrate on the needs of the story.
? A True Story ?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Just write a great ending, whether it is tragic, happy, a cliffhanger, or a twist. If all stories had happy endings that would be boring as hell. Be creative and write an ending that makes the story.
0 likes
In one of my writing classes, the professor told us, "The ending doesn't have to be expected, but it should be inevitable."

I always took that to mean, don't force it. If you have a cheerful tone and cheerful characters, you need to carefully set up a sad ending. If you don't, it will look gimmicky, at best.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
In one of my writing classes, the professor told us, "The ending doesn't have to be expected, but it should be inevitable."

I always took that to mean, don't force it. If you have a cheerful tone and cheerful characters, you need to carefully set up a sad ending. If you don't, it will look gimmicky, at best.

Gimmicky!

That is an excellent way to describe how NOT to end your story. I love plot twists and fun endings, and am not always successful relaying them to the reader.
But I keep working to improve my efforts.

Burquette's prof's advice is bang on!

Be true to your story and your characters. If your story leads you in a certain direction, and it feels right, then go that way, happy, sad, or whatever...

If you have an ending in mind, be very careful how you set up the story to get there, or it will feel... gimmicky.

Great question! Best of luck!
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
"The ending doesn't have to be expected, but it should be inevitable."

I like this. I doesn't have be the ending people expect, but it has to make sense in the context of the story. Sad, happy, mixed isn't as important as making it fit the story and characters.

I'm setting out on my first multipart story right now (don't hold your breaths, I'm not going to post anything until at least 3 or 4 chapters are in the bag) and have no idea what the ending will be but I'm leaning to a bit bittersweet. Relationships ending but doors opening for new ones and that sort of thing.
Madam Carol
0 likes
Not everything has a pollyanna ending. Real life doesn't have happy ever after. If you write for realism then not every girl has double D and the guys are not hung like Godzilla.

I understand this is an erotic fantasy site that caters to things real life can't provide. Who wants to read a story that smacks of reality? You get that looking in the mirror. But... If a story is written well and leaves the reader to ponder the consequences of their behavior but still maintains an erotic flavor, then bravo, you are now an author.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U
Not everything has a pollyanna ending. Real life doesn't have happy ever after. If you write for realism then not every girl has double D and the guys are not hung like Godzilla.

I understand this is an erotic fantasy site that caters to things real life can't provide. Who wants to read a story that smacks of reality? You get that looking in the mirror. But... If a story is written well and leaves the reader to ponder the consequences of their behavior but still maintains an erotic flavor, then bravo, you are now an author.

Well said.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I feel they are the best type of ending because they are the most realistic. Life does not normally produce happy endings, so the fact that every story should have one is incredibly false.
Someone has to be the Villain
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Yes, this is what I was thinking but I couldn't find the right word for it.... I definitely would not like that. I will for sure put a lot of thought into the ending and make sure it is the right ending for the story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Burquette

Yes, this is what I was thinking but I couldn't find the right word for it.... I definitely would not like that. I will for sure put a lot of thought into the ending and make sure it is the right ending for the story.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
Your question reminds of the ending of a movie... "Against All Odds"... Where you have this beautiful love story and in the end it is still not meant to be, either by one or both characters choice... A story where you could have that last night of lovemaking with one or both knowing it is the last time... The beauty, the passion, the anguish... So many emotions rolling through... As long as your story explains or leads the reader to understand the why, it will work... Good luck with it! (Now I have to follow you to read it when your done ;) haha!
characterized by intense feeling; passionate; fervent

Intensely devoted, eager, or enthusiastic; zealous

vehement; fierce burning, fiery, or hot
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by CherryRedGirl
I'm writing a new story which may fit into the love stories category and want to take a risk. As in a break up of sorts leaving off in a cliffhanger at the end of the story. Is this a bad idea? If you were reading, would you like the ending, or hate it? Would it just kill the mood entirely and make you reluctant to read more of the story? Or would it do the opposite and make you want to continue reading to find out if the lovers ever get back together? Do you care about these things when reading erotica, or just want hot sex scenes and not to get bummed out?

The last thing I'd want to do is make readers lose interest in my story on the very last line.

Could use some help and opinions. Thank you in advance smile

life doesn't always have happy endings. I say go for it.
0 likes
Quote by mranonymous7

life doesn't always have happy endings. I say go for it.

Life doesn't always have a happy ending, true, but I read and watch movies to escape, I don't wanna be hit with a tragedy at the end. "City of Angels", "Edward Scissor Hands", "Message in a Bottle", "Garp" I could go on and on. At the end I always feel like I wasted two hours to feel depressed. No thank you.

The only exception to this is when I expect a sad outcome, i.e.; "Steele Magnolias", "Beaches" and, of course the most obvious one ever, "Titanic".

I'm a chick (LOL! see what I did there :-) and I love to cry at sad movies, it's really cathartic to just release all my stress in a good cry. But I wanna cry AND LAUGH through the whole thing.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

0 likes
Quote by Smoocher

kinda / sorta maybe like going to a massage spa and getting a "HAPPY ENDING"

LOL! If that's what makes you cry and laugh, then, yeah...I'd never quite thought of it like that, but yeah :-)

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick

Life doesn't always have a happy ending, true, but I read and watch movies to escape, I don't wanna be hit with a tragedy at the end. "City of Angels", "Edward Scissor Hands", "Message in a Bottle", "Garp" I could go on and on. At the end I always feel like I wasted two hours to feel depressed. No thank you.

That is exactly what I would want to avoid. Hmm...
Lurker
0 likes
As an avid reader I find there are far too many stories that are never finished leaving the reader "hanging". Life has enough difficulties without having to read about unhappiness and disappointing endings.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Happy endings tend to promote some to re-read the story, occasionally.
Although I've read some great stories, the ones with unhappy endings will not get re-read (by me).
I just do not want to go through the heartbreak again.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like stories I can believe and enjoy as each story unfolds, regardless of the ending. Life doesn't always have happy endings.
If we want only feel good endings then we will have to declare this site to be utterly "therapeutic." No writer should have that restriction.
But obviously, from the sound of things, a lot of people may be coming here for therapeutic, not erotic reasons.
But even the best orgasms can have some "pain" or strain.
"FOLLOW YOUR BLISS!" [Joseph Campbell]
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
When I first joined Lush, I came across a series called Wife in Bondage. Sadly, the series and the author have long since left Lush and as far as I know he has not reposted what in my opinion was a great story. He ended it with a less than "happy-ending" that left an open ending and at first spun me. However, it was this ending that made me want more. I found that the ending was exactly what the story had foreshadowed and was nothing shy of a perfect fit. I did ask him if he was going to continue it and he had said he was... then one day he and his amazing story was gone. I have "ended" the story since then but I don't know if what I came up with is even close to what his ending would have been.

Tragic or unhappy endings are part of real life and sometimes, they must be written as such. A well written tragic or unhappy ending will be embraced and accepted. I'm sure your story will do great.