Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Can this name be passed as a guy's name or Girl's name?

last reply
6 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I had an idea for this name but I do not know if it would come across as guy's name or girls, for an example I wanted to use the name Blair, but should it be Blaire or just blair? Blair for guy or Blaire for girl. or if used the name Bobbie as girls name would readers think it's a guy?
0 likes
Quote by InnocentBliss87

I had an idea for this name but I do not know if it would come across as guy's name or girls, for an example I wanted to use the name Blair, but should it be Blaire or just blair? Blair for guy or Blaire for girl. or if used the name Bobbie as girls name would readers think it's a guy?

It looks like Blair is an androgynous name, more popular as a male name in Scotland and more popular as a female name in North America. If I use a unisex name, I'm very careful to set up the gender of the character ahead of (or simultaneously with) the introduction of their name.

Something like, "Blair rolled out of bed in nothing but his boxer shorts." I've given him a typically male attribute (boxer shorts) and used the male pronoun. Then I would reinforce that he's male a couple of times in the next few paragraphs.

I hope this is helpful.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would spell Bobbie if it were a girl and Bobby for a boy. I have come across a Jody spelt the same way for both sexes.

Life is not a rehearsal!!
The Linebacker
0 likes
Blair would work fine for a guy, even in the USA. Blair Walsh is the quarterback for Minnesota Vikings. I've known both male and females named Blair or Blaire. I believe I've actually known more males with that name.

Bobby for male
Bobbie for female
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by InnocentBliss87

according to my book of names both spellings are correct for either a boy or girl.
Lurker
0 likes
For a girl's name should it matter if it is masculine? I don't think so, if the title is catchy people will read regardless.
Mana wahine
0 likes
When I use unisex names, I make sure to check spellings as more often than not the spellings differ between male and female. I also, like Burquette said, set up the gender of the character as much as I can, so the reader knows that, despite the unisex name, the character is male or female.