Am I the only non touch typist on chat?

last reply
9 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just wondering if I am the only one. Was on chat, privately whispering to someone, and when I'm typing I have to look at the keyboard. The person I was chatting with apparently left the chat while I was typing and of course looking at my keyboard, so when I hit enter my remark was privately whispered to ALL. Then a black box popped up momentarily... couldn't read it, too quick, because I was again looking at keyboard. Someone probably thinks I snubbed them. Am I the only person that has to actually look at the keyboard while chatting. I have a lot to learn. Everyone else seems to be able to type so fast.
Site administrator
0 likes
I am not a quick typer and I have made the same mistake as you several times. I suggest before you hit the Send button you check that the intended recipient of your message is still in the room; thats what I now do smile.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks for the advice John, I guess I'll just have to sacrifice my lightning fast responses and actually be aware of what's going on before I hit enter. I'm sure when I get over the nerves thing and feel more comfortable and relaxed, I'll quit making mistakes. Thanks again.
Lurker
0 likes
All I can advise is to keep going with chat and to keep trying to keep up with the conversation, because that's how you will improve the speed of your typing.

I had never used a keyboard at all before I got ill and acquired the problems with my right arm- I'm right handed and writing became significantly harder as a result of the injury. Because I believe in the 'use it or lose it' school of physiotherapy I knew that teaching myself to write left handed would not be positive for the control of my right arm, so instead I taught myself to type mostly left handed about 15 years ago.

About 10 years ago I joined a forum and ended up as a moderator on there, typing hundreds of posts a day and looking after their chat room, where I initially struggled to keep up. Within a couple of months I saw results of spending a few hours every evening just typing as quickly as I could. It started off with dreadful accuracy but getting faster, then the accuracy improved too, and now I can type around 50 words a minute, almost all with my left hand and pretty much all of it touch typed.

I have taken no typing classes, I just typed enough to wear the letters off the keys smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by cat45
Just wondering if I am the only one. Was on chat, privately whispering to someone, and when I'm typing I have to look at the keyboard. The person I was chatting with apparently left the chat while I was typing and of course looking at my keyboard, so when I hit enter my remark was privately whispered to ALL. Then a black box popped up momentarily... couldn't read it, too quick, because I was again looking at keyboard. Someone probably thinks I snubbed them. Am I the only person that has to actually look at the keyboard while chatting. I have a lot to learn. Everyone else seems to be able to type so fast.

with time you'll familiarize yourself with the keyboard. You'll learn the letters and improve your typing speed and accuracysmile. With time will come experience. I've had the same problem, long ago, but, I've tried to type withouth paying to much attention to my fingers when I've typed - I've paied attention to the monitor and 'memorized' the general placement of the letters, then tried to 'guess' and 'use' them.

Good luck!
"You can't stop perfection" - Meng Hao (character, main character)
English Gentleman
0 likes
i also look at the keyboard as i type but i am so used to the layout of my keyboard that i know where everything is. there are many typing tutoring programs out there to help you lean how to type faster and more efficiently.

the main the to remember is that on the left side of the keyboard is the A and the E. poise you middle on the A and the index finger on the E.
on the right side of the keyboard is the OIU you place you ring middle and index fingers on these respectively then if you know more or less where all the letters are this will help you type faster.

good luck and hope i helped.
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
It's okay to look at the keyboard. I like to type without looking, but I'm haphazard. To learn to type without looking takes practice. Learn to use the right fingers on the right keys, though, and you'll never forget.
[url]http://[/url]
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Ruthie
It's okay to look at the keyboard. I like to type without looking, but I'm haphazard. To learn to type without looking takes practice. Learn to use the right fingers on the right keys, though, and you'll never forget.

Often, the keys get in the way of my fingers.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
No, I'm a two-finger typist (sometimes only one, if the other hand is busy).

Touch--typing is hiiiihgly overr=ratted, ass I sledom mak a misteek. Oooops...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
HATE when a message goes to all when my whisperee leaves unexpectedly! I might suggest that as a new feature... "block whispers when someone signs out".
I am a terrible typist, but a stickler for correct language- it's a bad combination, especially because so many folks here find text-speak or general illiteracy a turn-off. At least most of them are willing to overlook typos in the heat of the moment...